“Worst night's sleep I've ever had.”
Review of Hotel Noir

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
“Worst night's sleep I've ever had.”
Reviewed 19 December 2012

After running my father's birthday party for almost 10 solid hours, I was really looking forward to this "boutique" hotel my mum had booked my wife and I into ... The hotel manager/owner should be ashamed.

We arrived late, around midnight,to find flickering lightbulbs in the already dimly lit labyrinthian corridor to our room.

This was followed by walking into a room that looked like it had been decorated by a drug addict with an Argos catalogue from.the 1980s, and no, not in a "cool, how retro" kind of way.

The room was so hot, that even with the tiny paint chipped window fully open, we were both sweating all night...not because it was such a romantic location...beleive me.

The bathroom extraction system was so absurdly noisy that I had to use the toilet in the dark for fear of waking up people in Leeds, let alone my sleeping wife. The decor in the bathroom was a drab cream that looked like it hadn't seen a proper clean since before the hotel was built. The shower was pathetically weak and the imitation Molton Brown soap was broken, so it was a pretty dissapointing bathing experience. And don't even get me started on disposable bath mats......disgraceful.

Finally the crowning glory in this comedy of errors ... The 'bed' ... I call it a 'bed' because a real bed is something you can sleep on... What we had to contend with was some kind of design monstrosity topped with a mattress I can only assume was made of jelly as it was so soft i had to hold the sheet to prevent myself from falling out (i spent the entire night with one foot on the floor to the same effect)

Almost a week later and I'm still in pain from that one evening at hotel noir.

What a disgrace.

• Stayed December 2012
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Oh dear. What a contrast to the previous 5 star review!
I have been unable to locate any flickering lights in the corridors. In line with our energy saving policy, lights in most of the corridors are on motion sensors, and will flicker briefly as they come on but otherwise are normal lights.
It appears that the majority of your issues such as room décor and bed were just down to the fact that they were not to your personal taste, as you can see from many other reviews on this site we receive many compliments on these from other guests.
Hotel Noir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Hotel Noir welcomed us warmly and answered every customer service related question with courtesy and professionalism. The store we required is just across the street and open until 11pm (half past 10 on Sunday). The laundromat is not as conveniently placed but easy to locate. If you have a car or like to walk, as we do, not a problem at all. Just a few extra steps away from the city centre to be unique and authentic yet not too far for a pleasant walk to all the town's sites. Staff was even able to accommodate our request for an additional night and now....a little about our 'compact' room. Not nearly as small as I'd feared it would be. Adequately described and appointed, there are all kinds of little extras from the gourmet coffee machine in our room to the luxurious AND CLEAN towels and linens. There are additional extra touches like very nice soap and lotion, blow dryer, fan, room safe, modern radio/alarm clock, a tiny refrigerator (there is no free mini bar at the compact room rate), and the most interesting mix of provincial history as well as modern art deco. Most refreshing, comfortable and fun room we've ever experienced! Thank you for a wonderful stay! By the way, tomorrow we explore York a bit. I recently learned that the town has a reputation of being haunted. As we entered in the early dark evening, the setting and background architecture are splendid and enticing. I don't know anything about the 'haunted' reputation; however, I will keep my eyes open and see if I must. Otherwise, the town appears to be overflowing with quaint history and friendly citizens.

Room Tip: Coming from the states, we just do not often have the opportunity to enjoy charm and cozy lodging su...
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Thank you for your great review!
I’m glad you’ve had such a great time at the hotel and in our wonderful city. I know that you have already returned to the hotel since this review was posted, I hope that your second stay was as good as your first!
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Stayed one night for a birthday / husband coming home treat. Booked the Four poster room with all the "extras". THEY NEVER ARRIVED. Had to go and ask for the cava to be brought up (didnt expect to at £18 a bottle) no "hand made" Belgian Chocolates and no completementary newspaper. The staff were courtious, not over-friendly but not rude.
The room was clean and tidy and ther were some nice touches. The tassimo, the iron and ironing board and the extra plug in heater, but the bathroom was a let down. Missing tiles replaed with poly-filler. Ill fitting toilet seat meaning you had to hover and a miss matched, cracked suite.
The breakfast was lovely all cooked to order and just the right amount. Not a builders breakfast but lovely local produce, cooked just the way you wan it.
All in all not a bad hotel but if they dealt with the finishing touches it coould be a fantastic hotel.

HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Thank you for your feedback following your stay at Hotel Noir.
I’m sorry that your extras were not in your room on arrival. Very occasionally things are missed, but a call to reception will ensure that any omissions are swiftly rectified.
We do have an ongoing refurbishment program for the bathrooms at the moment – if you do choose to return please call us in advance and we will ensure you are allocated a room with a refurbished bathroom.
I’m glad you enjoyed your breakfast – as you say, this is made up of locally sourced, fresh ingredients, indeed the meat comes from the award winning butchers just two doors down from the hotel.
Once again thank you for your comments, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Lovely hotel, stayed there for three nights and would definitely go back again. Free mini bar filled everyday, clean room and great location only 15 minutes walk from the city center. We did have to ask for the sheets to be changed but they were changed the following day. Staff were a little dull and unwelcoming on arrival. Apart from these minor points the hotel is lovely and very comfortable. The restaurant and bar were always empty so the atmosphere was not great however there is a little pub next door which seemed busy most of the time and has a pool table, there is also an Indian next door if you wanted to eat close by. Definitely great value for money.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Thank you for your review – I’m glad that overall your experience was a good one! As with any hotel, our bar is usually busiest at the beginning and end of the night, as people enjoy a drink either before they head into town or have a nightcap before they head up to bed! I’m sorry the restaurant was quiet when you visited, fortunately this is not the usual experience!
Once again thank you for your kind comments, and we hope to welcome you back some time.
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Booked the hotel on recommendations from this very website and on first glances its a great hotel but.......

I was warned that the car park was tight but when you struggle to get a ford focus around it, then in the words of John Claude Van Dam "Man, that's tight!". They only have half a dozen spaces, (May have been slightly more but the badly parked Mini stopped me counting), but there is parking in the adjacent streets. Do have to say that I was disappointed with the room, (203). I know I booked a compact room but there's being compact and there's not being able to open the door fully because its impeded by the furniture in the room. As has been pointed out by other reviews, the room itself is nicely kitted out with a flatscreen TV, tassimo coffee machine, DAB/Ipod Radio thingy but we had a bathroom window that when opened, (which we needed to as it was soo hot in the room without the heating on), a broken hinge really puts you off trying to close it again and on the back of the building, lack of view wasn't a problem, it really was a nice looking brick wall but the constant hum of the extractors running while wasn't obtrusive was nether the less, constant, (This I suspect was also the constant heat source for the room too), and a shower that couldn't hold its head up no matter the amount of encouragement, (it was a very sad shower). On closer inspections the room was starting to look really tired with its ill fitting carpet, chipped paintwork and the large dent above the door knocked marks off. Bed was comfy though, slept really well, probably because of the delicate hum of the extractors, but could hear ALL the comings and goings in the hotel, as well as the staff taking ciggie breaks out the back. Didn't try the food as I personally thought that £10 for breakfast each was a little steep.

Ideally situated for the city though, only a 10 minute walk to Petergate but the hotel is on the A19 which is a MAJOR route in and out of the city so the traffic through there can be on the heavy side so rooms at the front may well notice the road noise.

All in all nice hotel but........

Room Tip: Avoid 203 if possible
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Many thanks for your review – we do appreciate helpful feedback as we always strive to improve our service.
You are right that our car park is fairly tight, but as you say, there is free on street parking adjacent to the hotel though, if it is too tight a squeeze, or if all of our 12 spaces are occupied.
Our compact rooms are on the smaller side, but we don’t hide this fact and they are priced accordingly, and recommended for solo travellers on our website. I’m glad you appreciated the room’s fixtures and fittings, and I will ask our maintenance team to look into the issues you have mentioned.
Breakfast is £8 per person if pre-booked the night before, and I do feel this compares very favourably with the cost of breakfast in similar rated hotels, where the price can be twice as much. Also as noted in other reviews, our breakfast is a really good breakfast, with locally sourced fresh ingredients that frequently gets a lot of praise on this very website!
I’m glad that overall your stay was a good one, and once again thank you for your constructive comments. I do hope we can welcome you back in the future!
manchester
Reviewed 3 December 2012

We booked this hotel without reading reviews on TripAdvisor which is unusual for me,so was a little nervous on what to expect. When we arrived the nerves disappeared first impressions were very good. We were too early to check in so we parked the car and had a walk into York which is a 10 minute stroll. We had two rooms which were part of an annexe not in the main bit of the hotel, rooms were very spacious and clean, breakfast is good and you do have to wait but its all freshly prepared. I would stay here again without a doubt and would recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lal21
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay so much and hope we can welcome you back in the future!

Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

We booked a compact room for the night after a wedding in York. They couldn't check us in when we arrived but as we were going to a wedding and expected back after midnight they gave us the key to the room and put our bags in for us. Excellent service! Room is small but that's what we booked! Great location for central York. Car park is very small but we found parking in street next door.

In short it delivered what we hoped for. Convenient spot, clean room and helpful service.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank kbaddeley
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Many thanks for your kind words about our hotel. I’m glad you found our service so helpful and hope we can welcome you back in the future!

Hotel Noir
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel du Vin York
Hotel du Vin York
#18 of 47 in York
Dean Court Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!