“Perfect short stay accommodation.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Noir

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
sunderland
“Perfect short stay accommodation.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

On arrival we received a friendly welcome and were quickly checked in, room was well appointed although some detritus was found under bed, (I should say my wife and I are 'hotel trained' customers.) The bed creaked incessantly with each movement (not for the good reasons either). Bathroom was very clean and dispensers fully charged. Tissimo drink machine was a nice touch. We ate in the hotel restaurant which was friendly and clean, having rump steaks cooked to perfection for a good value price, staff were attentive and courteous. Hotel is within easy walking distance from town centre and train station. A very pleasent 2 night stay and will definately use the hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
Many thanks for your review.
I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay so much – I will be taking up with our housekeeping and maintenance departments the minor issues that you mention. Thank you for your compliments about our restaurant!

We hope to welcome you back in the future should you be returning to York.

Regards, Hotel Noir.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
stellaquil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

on arriving we were greeted by a member of staff who was very helpful, and put our champagne in our room in an ice bucket whilst we went into the city. our room at first glance was nice and tidy, clean bed sheets and towels. we had a bath in our room as we had requested, although when trying to use the shower every time I turned on cold tap to cool down the hot water it went freezing and took a while to heat up again.
disappointed with the mini bar - 1 mini bottle of wine and 1 bottle of lager plus cans of pop, didn't really know what to expect but thought this was poor.
had a drink in the bar whilst waiting for taxi which person on front desk was kind enough to phone for us.
woke up at half 1 in the morning to the sound of music, so I went to investigate down to the bar there was no one there but the music was still on so I turned it off as we were in room above bar (205), also bed seemed a little small for a double my feet were of the end
check out time of 11 was great

Many thanks for your review.

I’m pleased that you found the staff helpful. Sorry you were disappointed with the contents of the minibar, however I would point out that this is provided free of charge to give our guests an alcoholic drink each plus mineral water (which we put into our glass bottles to reduce on plastic waste) and branded soft drinks, and is replenished daily for guests staying more than one night. It’s not something you will find in the vast majority of hotels and we provide it as a little extra for our guests. The music in the bar is usually switched off at midnight, sorry that it appears this was not the case on this occasion! Regards, Hotel Noir.
newcastel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed at this hotel over new year and paid premium rate for doing so, as you would expect. But the cleanliness and standard of the finish in the room really let it down. These bits may seem a bit picky but they did spoil the overall stay. Marks on the duvet cover and throw, stains on the valance, carpets not clean, dust from drilling along the skirting and edge of the carpet and the shower door was broke.Parking is a proper mission an all if your in anything larger than a little tikes buggy. On a good note the staff were very pleasant and polite and the location is very good.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank brookyNewcastel
Many thanks for your review.

I’m glad you found the staff pleasant, it is of course disappointing that the small issues in the room affected your stay on this occasion. The car park is tight as you say but we are lucky to have great free on-street parking immediately adjacent to the hotel, which many York hotels do not benefit from, and between the two, our guests get free convenient parking.

Regards, Hotel Noir.
barnsley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

me and my wife arrived at the hotel for one night and managed to park in the hotel car park .on entering we were greeted by a member of staff who was very helpful .we were given room 308 which had a free mini bar of wine lager soft drinks .also it had a tassimo machine and plenty of tea coffee and chocolate .the room itself wasnt the best it was not very clean and really did need another hoover as you could see where they had shoved it round and missed the rest ,the carpet was dirty.the bedroom furniture was white gloss which was nice but then an old grubby black dresser in the corner which looked like it had been ruined by hot cups on it as ther was no tray or mats which i suggest would be a good idea as not to spoil the new furniture.all in all the hotel was average and not what i expected although the staff were helpful

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your review. Whilst I’m glad you found the staff helpful, it is disappointing that the cleanliness of the room was not up to scratch on this occasion. We will of course rectify any issues like this immediately if they are reported to us, and I will be speaking to our head housekeeper to ensure that improvements are made.

Hotel Noir.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

After running my father's birthday party for almost 10 solid hours, I was really looking forward to this "boutique" hotel my mum had booked my wife and I into ... The hotel manager/owner should be ashamed.

We arrived late, around midnight,to find flickering lightbulbs in the already dimly lit labyrinthian corridor to our room.

This was followed by walking into a room that looked like it had been decorated by a drug addict with an Argos catalogue from.the 1980s, and no, not in a "cool, how retro" kind of way.

The room was so hot, that even with the tiny paint chipped window fully open, we were both sweating all night...not because it was such a romantic location...beleive me.

The bathroom extraction system was so absurdly noisy that I had to use the toilet in the dark for fear of waking up people in Leeds, let alone my sleeping wife. The decor in the bathroom was a drab cream that looked like it hadn't seen a proper clean since before the hotel was built. The shower was pathetically weak and the imitation Molton Brown soap was broken, so it was a pretty dissapointing bathing experience. And don't even get me started on disposable bath mats......disgraceful.

Finally the crowning glory in this comedy of errors ... The 'bed' ... I call it a 'bed' because a real bed is something you can sleep on... What we had to contend with was some kind of design monstrosity topped with a mattress I can only assume was made of jelly as it was so soft i had to hold the sheet to prevent myself from falling out (i spent the entire night with one foot on the floor to the same effect)

Almost a week later and I'm still in pain from that one evening at hotel noir.

What a disgrace.

• Stayed December 2012
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Oh dear. What a contrast to the previous 5 star review!
I have been unable to locate any flickering lights in the corridors. In line with our energy saving policy, lights in most of the corridors are on motion sensors, and will flicker briefly as they come on but otherwise are normal lights.
It appears that the majority of your issues such as room décor and bed were just down to the fact that they were not to your personal taste, as you can see from many other reviews on this site we receive many compliments on these from other guests.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

Hotel Noir welcomed us warmly and answered every customer service related question with courtesy and professionalism. The store we required is just across the street and open until 11pm (half past 10 on Sunday). The laundromat is not as conveniently placed but easy to locate. If you have a car or like to walk, as we do, not a problem at all. Just a few extra steps away from the city centre to be unique and authentic yet not too far for a pleasant walk to all the town's sites. Staff was even able to accommodate our request for an additional night and now....a little about our 'compact' room. Not nearly as small as I'd feared it would be. Adequately described and appointed, there are all kinds of little extras from the gourmet coffee machine in our room to the luxurious AND CLEAN towels and linens. There are additional extra touches like very nice soap and lotion, blow dryer, fan, room safe, modern radio/alarm clock, a tiny refrigerator (there is no free mini bar at the compact room rate), and the most interesting mix of provincial history as well as modern art deco. Most refreshing, comfortable and fun room we've ever experienced! Thank you for a wonderful stay! By the way, tomorrow we explore York a bit. I recently learned that the town has a reputation of being haunted. As we entered in the early dark evening, the setting and background architecture are splendid and enticing. I don't know anything about the 'haunted' reputation; however, I will keep my eyes open and see if I must. Otherwise, the town appears to be overflowing with quaint history and friendly citizens.

Room Tip: Coming from the states, we just do not often have the opportunity to enjoy charm and cozy lodging su...
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Thank you for your great review!
I’m glad you’ve had such a great time at the hotel and in our wonderful city. I know that you have already returned to the hotel since this review was posted, I hope that your second stay was as good as your first!
Barnsley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

Stayed one night for a birthday / husband coming home treat. Booked the Four poster room with all the "extras". THEY NEVER ARRIVED. Had to go and ask for the cava to be brought up (didnt expect to at £18 a bottle) no "hand made" Belgian Chocolates and no completementary newspaper. The staff were courtious, not over-friendly but not rude.
The room was clean and tidy and ther were some nice touches. The tassimo, the iron and ironing board and the extra plug in heater, but the bathroom was a let down. Missing tiles replaed with poly-filler. Ill fitting toilet seat meaning you had to hover and a miss matched, cracked suite.
The breakfast was lovely all cooked to order and just the right amount. Not a builders breakfast but lovely local produce, cooked just the way you wan it.
All in all not a bad hotel but if they dealt with the finishing touches it coould be a fantastic hotel.

HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Thank you for your feedback following your stay at Hotel Noir.
I’m sorry that your extras were not in your room on arrival. Very occasionally things are missed, but a call to reception will ensure that any omissions are swiftly rectified.
We do have an ongoing refurbishment program for the bathrooms at the moment – if you do choose to return please call us in advance and we will ensure you are allocated a room with a refurbished bathroom.
I’m glad you enjoyed your breakfast – as you say, this is made up of locally sourced, fresh ingredients, indeed the meat comes from the award winning butchers just two doors down from the hotel.
Once again thank you for your comments, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Hotel Noir
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel 53
Hotel 53
#31 of 45 in York
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,749 reviews

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!