“a different experience”
Review of Hotel Noir

Hotel Noir
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Reviewed 29 October 2013

this hotel offers a different type of stay, as the hotel name would suggest (Noir) black is the theme but only in the decor, the mood was warm and welcoming.
We were very looky we booked at the last minute and ended up with a very nice 4 poster bedroom for the standard charge, great aslo this was possibly the largest bathroom I have ever had in an hotel it also had a very large elegant fire place in it as well.

Didnt eat in the restaurant but it looked OK.
Word of warning some of the rooms are accessed via a lot of stairs and corridors but it was worth the climb.

Room Tip: 411 is a 4 poster room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you for your review and your positive feedback. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I hope we will see you again if you are visiting York in the future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I booked this hotel for my boyfriend's birthday. The £132 price excluding breakfast was the top end of my budget, but the pictures and website portrayed it as a modern boutique hotel so I thought it'd be worth the money. The bar and reception area were well decorated and presented so I was looking forward to checking in, however I was really disappointed as we entered our room, it was tiny, with a creaky floor, poorly decorated, with damp on the ceiling, ripped sheets and a badly damaged dressing table. The bathroom was really small and the shower was nothing more than a drizzle. The walls were so thin I could hear next door breathe! Would not go back, this hotel is really not worth the money.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for your review, I’m sorry to hear that you weren’t happy with your room, and I do wish you had raised these issues at the time as we would have been able to fix most or all of your problems for you had we been aware.

We do have a range of room sizes from our compact rooms up to our large 4 poster super king rooms, and you choose which of these you want when you book. Prices at the weekend can be high due to the huge demand but there are bargains to be had if you are flexible with your dates.

Kind regards

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Booked a double room incl. Breakfast for £48. Check-in quick, room smallish. Bathroom very small but adequate for a one night stay. Shower (as per other reviews) was a bit pathetic' but plenty of gels/shampoo. Tassimo instead of a kettle better than the bog standard sachets of Nescafe usually offered. Had extra pods from reception. Had to manually lock the room door on leaving which wasn't a problem but it's quite rare these days so glad we checked. Breakfast very good and freshly cooked.15 minutes walk from the Minster. Taxis aren't cheap so walk if you're able. Overall, for the price in York, it was a steal. Bathroom would start to annoy me if staying longer but would come back for a short break.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for your review. We’re having work done in the new year to address the intermittent problems with water pressure that affect some of our second floor rooms. We do have a range of rooms to suit everybody; our smaller rooms, as you say, are more suited to single travellers or shorter stays, for a longer stay we would recommend booking one of our larger rooms.

Once again thank you for your feedback, and I do hope we will see you again if you are visiting York in the future.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Booked very last minute and went for the four poster bed with diner and breakfast, this isn't something I would usually do as I like the freedom to eat out at night however it was a really good choice.
The room was comfortable it could do with double glazing as the room we had was at the front however this did not effect my nights sleep!
Location was good and it was nice to have secure parking for the car.
As mentioned I don't usually like having diner in hotels however for the extra we paid the quality was second to none and we had a full 3 course menu which I didn't expect. Service was perfect as well as the waiter didn't intrude on us and did a great job.

Overall very impressed for the amount we paid, would recommend anyone to stay here.

Room Tip: Try to avoid front facing rooms however if you do get one it won't effect your nights sleep.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m pleased to confirm that we are due to have double glazing fitted in the new year. We hope to see you again if you are visiting York in the future.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at the Hotel 18th October. The stay was great. Staff A* :) we eat at the hotel having the 2 course meal for £11.95 it was very yummy. Great value for money. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. The breakfast was fantastic.

Room Tip: 308 room at the front
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and we hope to see you if you are visiting York again in the future.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I was welcomed very warmly and the staff whenever I spoke to them were friendly and helpful. The bedroom was on the 1st floor and was pretty well equipped with a coffee maker, free mini bar, iron and ironing board. However I used none of them, and would have liked a hair dryer, which was not available. The room, and the rest of the hotel was clean. I did not like the paper mat for a bath mat, I ended up hopping around trying to get it off my foot. But the bathroom was clean and had shower gel, shampoo and soap provided. The parking is good but could be tight for really big cars eg Landrovers.

But the thing is I would not return. The black and white decoration was awful, cold and very off putting. The bed was uncomfortable to the extent I sat up until 2-30am reading. They have no bedside lamps, so you have some wall lights, the switches for one side was behind the very heavy bed and the other one's switch I had to get out of bed to turn off! I would happily use instant coffee but am not happy to have to try to move a very heavy bed just to be able to turn out a light. I think it is style over substance. Get the basics right, make the bedrooms welcoming and warm, get bedside lamps and dryers.

Your staff are great,now rooms need to be too.

Room Tip: 202 is a quiet room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank YR1963

Thank you for your review. It’s good to hear you found our staff friendly and helpful. I’m sorry to hear you didn’t like the hotel's decoration, although generally we receive favourable comments on this.

I would like to make clear that all rooms do have a hairdryer located in the desk drawer, apologies if you couldn’t find it. We have now phased out paper bath mats to wooden duckboards as a result of guest feedback.

Once again thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Hotel Noir

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed two nights in a compact room, yes it was small, but as somewhere to sleep and shower for a short stay it was fine. The bed was comfortable with good pillows, soft sheets and a good duvet and the whole room was clean. The bathroom was also small but adequate, with plenty of hot water. The hand lotion and shampoo and shower gel dispensers are a nice touch. If I have one complaint it is the Tassimo machine, it was extremely temperamental and frustrating to use. My advice would be go back to a simple kettle and supplies.

Although we didn't get to the dining room until 8.30pm on Sunday evening, we were able to have a meal and it was excellent, even though technically the kitchen should have closed we were offered the chance to have a dessert too. Pleased with the service there.

A good help for anyone wanting to visit the Railway Museum, there is a circular bus service that runs from Clifton Green, just outside the hotel to the door of the museum, it then returns via York city centre. However the last bus at night leaves York centre at 8.05pm, so no good for late nights out.

Room Tip: Compact rooms are fine for short stays, probably not a good choice if you are staying longer.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. You review has a lot of excellent advice for potential guests, so thank you!

As you say, our compact rooms are more suited for either solo travellers or short stays. They are fine if you are just using the hotel as a base to explore York, but if you are planning to spend more time in your room we recommend booking one of our standard, classic, or 4 poster rooms.

The Tassimo machine is easy once you know how! There are instructions in your hotel guide and of course we are always happy to provide assistance. But all rooms do have a kettle in them too, and tea bags / sachets of coffee are available on request.

We hope to see you again if you are visiting York in the future.

Hotel Noir.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Park Inn by Radisson York
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel Indigo York
#3 of 47 in York
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Express York
Best Western York Pavilion Hotel

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!