“Friendly and convenient”
Review of Hotel Noir

Hotel Noir
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Reviewed 3 November 2013

A friendly hotel we were impressed with the decor and features of the room including radio with iphone charger and fridge with milk and complimentary drinks. We ate in the restaurant sampling the early bird menu. All meals were freshly made and very tasty.
Breakfast was very good. An ideal place to stop for the sights of York as it is a 10-15 minute walk to the Minster.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you for your review, I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and your food! Please give us a call direct if you are returning to York in the future and we will make sure you get the best available room at the best available rate.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

my stay at the hotel was great. all staff were polite and repectful. The food was amazing both times we had a meal. the mini bar was ok but you dont really get a FREE mini bar anywhere you go in york ... i would recommend staying at the hotel no matter what other reveiws say !!

Thank you for your review, it’s great that you enjoyed your stay ! I hope we will see you again if you are returning to York in the future.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

If I could have given this Hotel 0 Stars I would have. It cost me £99 for a 2 hour stay before we walked out and booked somewhere else. No wonder this tip is No 37 out of 46 rated hotels in York - it should actually be 47 out of 46. Well here goes! Booked in on a balmy summer July evening. They made us wait 3 hours for the "Checking in time" so we thought they must be spending extra time making sure the room was spotlessly clean. So we wandered off into Town. When we got back we checked in and went to the room which was only slightly cooler than a sauna at full pelt. We found dust on the top of the "Romantic" 4 poster bed and crisps and muck under the bed. The furniture was dated and passed its sell by date. The toilet brush was covered in muck and we were welcomed by a lovely paper shower mat which would look good in the loos at the YMCA! We went down to the Bar for a drink to be given a Voddy with no ice in it only to be told they had run out and the local shops had sold out - not my issue just get it sorted! We declined the drinks and walked into town to look for another Hotel. We found the lovely Grange only 500 yds away and booked in here for 2 nights. Even the Receptionist here guessed we had come from the Hotel Noir. Noir is French for Black and if you want this coloured cloud over you head while you stay here then you do at you peril. Stay away from this place at all costs as it cost me not to stay. Staff unhelpful, bedrooms dirty so dont be fooled by the "Nice Pics" they have on their website. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank The_essens

Thank you for your review. Check out time of our rooms is 11am. Check in time is 2pm. This gives us 3 hours to clean all rooms in the hotel and be ready for check in. We don’t make people wait until 2pm to be difficult as you seem to be implying, we do so because this is how long it takes to clean the rooms.

You checked in, and 2 hours later informed us that you were leaving to stay elsewhere. At no stage prior to this did you inform us of any problem, and you gave us no opportunity to resolve any issues you had. A detailed inspection of the room the following day found no evidence of ‘muck and crisps’, and a small, less than 1cm, mark on the duvet cover that looked like pen. This would of course have been changed immediately for you. There was a small bit of toilet paper on the toilet brush, it was not ‘covered in muck’.

The furniture in room 201 is all brand new , hand made, and certainly not ‘’dated’.

You were charged for the first night because you used all the facilities in the room, including the shower, leaving us unable to resell the room that night, and because you gave us no opportunity to resolve any of your issues before leaving.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Noir

Reviewed 29 October 2013

this hotel offers a different type of stay, as the hotel name would suggest (Noir) black is the theme but only in the decor, the mood was warm and welcoming.
We were very looky we booked at the last minute and ended up with a very nice 4 poster bedroom for the standard charge, great aslo this was possibly the largest bathroom I have ever had in an hotel it also had a very large elegant fire place in it as well.

Didnt eat in the restaurant but it looked OK.
Word of warning some of the rooms are accessed via a lot of stairs and corridors but it was worth the climb.

Room Tip: 411 is a 4 poster room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and your positive feedback. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I hope we will see you again if you are visiting York in the future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I booked this hotel for my boyfriend's birthday. The £132 price excluding breakfast was the top end of my budget, but the pictures and website portrayed it as a modern boutique hotel so I thought it'd be worth the money. The bar and reception area were well decorated and presented so I was looking forward to checking in, however I was really disappointed as we entered our room, it was tiny, with a creaky floor, poorly decorated, with damp on the ceiling, ripped sheets and a badly damaged dressing table. The bathroom was really small and the shower was nothing more than a drizzle. The walls were so thin I could hear next door breathe! Would not go back, this hotel is really not worth the money.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for your review, I’m sorry to hear that you weren’t happy with your room, and I do wish you had raised these issues at the time as we would have been able to fix most or all of your problems for you had we been aware.

We do have a range of room sizes from our compact rooms up to our large 4 poster super king rooms, and you choose which of these you want when you book. Prices at the weekend can be high due to the huge demand but there are bargains to be had if you are flexible with your dates.

Kind regards

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Booked a double room incl. Breakfast for £48. Check-in quick, room smallish. Bathroom very small but adequate for a one night stay. Shower (as per other reviews) was a bit pathetic' but plenty of gels/shampoo. Tassimo instead of a kettle better than the bog standard sachets of Nescafe usually offered. Had extra pods from reception. Had to manually lock the room door on leaving which wasn't a problem but it's quite rare these days so glad we checked. Breakfast very good and freshly cooked.15 minutes walk from the Minster. Taxis aren't cheap so walk if you're able. Overall, for the price in York, it was a steal. Bathroom would start to annoy me if staying longer but would come back for a short break.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for your review. We’re having work done in the new year to address the intermittent problems with water pressure that affect some of our second floor rooms. We do have a range of rooms to suit everybody; our smaller rooms, as you say, are more suited to single travellers or shorter stays, for a longer stay we would recommend booking one of our larger rooms.

Once again thank you for your feedback, and I do hope we will see you again if you are visiting York in the future.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Booked very last minute and went for the four poster bed with diner and breakfast, this isn't something I would usually do as I like the freedom to eat out at night however it was a really good choice.
The room was comfortable it could do with double glazing as the room we had was at the front however this did not effect my nights sleep!
Location was good and it was nice to have secure parking for the car.
As mentioned I don't usually like having diner in hotels however for the extra we paid the quality was second to none and we had a full 3 course menu which I didn't expect. Service was perfect as well as the waiter didn't intrude on us and did a great job.

Overall very impressed for the amount we paid, would recommend anyone to stay here.

Room Tip: Try to avoid front facing rooms however if you do get one it won't effect your nights sleep.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m pleased to confirm that we are due to have double glazing fitted in the new year. We hope to see you again if you are visiting York in the future.

Hotel Noir.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Park Inn by Radisson York
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel Indigo York
#3 of 47 in York
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Express York
Best Western York Pavilion Hotel

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!