“Brilliant location and very good value.”
Review of Hotel Noir

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Rotherham
“Brilliant location and very good value.”
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Wanted a hotel within easy walking distance of York City centre. The hotel was 10-15 minutes walk from the Minster. The room was warm and very comfortable. The staff were helpful and polite. We had a very enjoyable stay.

HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your review, I’m very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back if you are visiting York again in the future,

Kind regards, Hotel Noir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
N.E. England
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had had a disappointing time here last Christmas but the Hotel put this right offering us a 'stay on the house'. This time we enjoyed our stay and the food was excellent. We will stay again when we visit York.

Room Tip: From past experience family rooms are in an annex and smaller than Superior Rooms, which is only to...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your review, I’m glad that your complimentary stay with us went some way to putting right the disappointment you had with your meal just after Christmas. Our new chef is doing a great job. I hope we will see you again in the future.

Seaham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Hotel staff were excellent, very helpful & friendly. We had 4 poster bed which creaked when you turned over, the pillows were stained inside & did not have pillow protectors on them which l think is a must, also the room was draughty the heating was on a timer & only came on at 7am for an hour or so, but there was a small electric heater to keep you warm if you needed it. We had evening meals twice, the food was awful, the meat in the stroganoff was full of gristle and stewed not pan fried in strips as it should of been, more like betty,s hot pot. The steak burger was bland, we didn't like to complain as the staff were lovely, but we must say the breakfast's were excellent. The rest of the hotel was clean & tidy.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your review. Firstly, I’m very glad to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful – those are the exact words I would choose to describe the aim of our staff here. I’m sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal with us, especially as the feedback regarding our food is generally excellent. I will pass on this feedback to our chef to see what improvements can be made. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel if you are visiting York again in the future.

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 1 night for a stay in York and it was a lovely smallish hotel, very contemporary and yet still cosy. The rooms were very stylish even if they weren't massive. Unfortunately the chef had called in sick so we couldn't have our evening meal there but they refunded us the money straight away at reception so we were able to make other arrangement easily. Breakfast was lovely and its a perfect walking distance into the city.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Kind regards, Hotel Noir
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

I was going through a very hard period in my life and one Monday evening at 7pm, my boyfriend suggested we escaped for the night. We went on lastminute.com and found this deal which was 'secret hotel' and gave a small description how it was a 'quirky hotel in the centre of York,' it was a gamble booking it, but for £13 (what a deal!!!!) we thought we'd take a gamble.
We arrived at about 9pm, the parking was tight in the carpark so we parked on the next street. When we arrived, a pleasant young man gave us our key, we asked if there was anywhere local to eat and he recommended an Indian restaurant next door.
When we was shown to our room we were blown away. It was so romantic! Four poster beds, all lovely decorated and it was definitely quirky. The bath was a jacuzzi bath and the mini fridge was stocked with complimentary Prosecco, wine, beer and fizzy drinks. We didn't want to leave for our dinner!
The bed was really comfy, we did find a lady bird in the bed which is unfortunate.
There was a coffee machine, not a kettle, an actual machine in the morning - a lovely touch.
Overall our stay was absolutely perfect. Although we only paid £13, we would pay the full prices on our next stay. Highly recommend it to any couple!

HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your review – I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay so much, you certainly did get a bargain at that price! I hope we are able to welcome you back in the future if you are visiting York again.

Cramlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

£164 for the 4 poster room ...VERY dated , bathroom had tiles that had been painted over , cracks and a flakey ceiling and a yellow bath , windows did not close well so the noise of the traffic was loud , memory foam mattress ( not good for a bad back ) noise from other guests was terrible that went on till stupid 0'clock in the morning , unfortunately I had also booked the room for an extra night over the phone ( would not have if we stayed the night first ) upon leaving receptionist tried to charge an extra £16 for the saturday night and an extra £18 for the Sunday , lesson learnt ...read more reviews before booking a place again !!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank duffa66
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. Our prices are very competitive against other 3 star hotels in this popular city. Rates on a Saturday night are very high due to the huge demand but bargains can be had if you are able to be flexible with your days.
Having checked the bathroom ceiling I can see that it does require attention so I have arranged for it to be stripped and repainted today. I do apologise if this spoiled your stay.
I have checked the window and it is fully closed. I am sorry you felt unable to ask for assistance with this as I am sure a member of staff would have been able to close it for you if asked.
The majority of our guests love our memory foam mattresses – I’m sorry that this was not to your personal taste, however if I may quote from the previous review to yours “the bed (mattress) was perfect, one of the best night’s sleep I've had and the quilt just made you feel like you were in the clouds”.
I myself was on call over the weekend and didn’t receive any calls regarding any excessive noise from other guests. Had you informed me that you were being disturbed I would of course have immediately dealt with the situation for you.
I am not quite sure what you mean when you say the receptionist tried to charge you extra on check out. The first night cost £162 which was paid in advance at the time of booking. The second night was £64 which is the amount you paid on check out.
You suggest that you should have read the reviews before you booked, I would respectfully point out that the large majority of our reviews are favourable.
It’s always disappointing for us on the rare occasions when a guest doesn’t enjoy their stay, and doubly so when the first we hear of any problems is when a review appears on Tripadvisor. I’m certain we would have been able to resolve most if not all of your issues had you let us know while you were here.

Kind regards

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

To start on a good note, the bed (mattresse) was perfect, one of the best nights sleep I've had and the quilt just made you feel like you were in the clouds, but!!!.... The room it's self was horrible. This was meant to be a relaxing time for me and my wife... the decor was depressing, it's looks nothing like the pictures, the bathroom especially, I paid £113 for the night and I would have thought at least modern but this was so dated and shabby, the room was filthy, tissue and tags from a previous stay were found, the safe didn't work, we had to call room service about 23:00 last night cause my wife wanted a shower and the water was freezing, to then have to wait 10-15mins for the boiler to heat up was pathetic. The parking argangment was also ridiculous, not knowing the area very well and the lady at the reception just said 'you should be alright to park out on the street'. Also the bloke that answered the reception last night was rude and I felt like I was asking for his life savings to produce hot water as I would expect at a DECENT hotel for my pregnant wife.... All in all, £113 was wasted on this place, just cause of the bed I would give you 1* and I would and will be advising friends/family etc from stay here, definertly pay an extra £20-£40 to get 10times better then this!!! I am also expecting management to contact me to discuss this matter before I take legal procedures

2 Thank Chrismcc979
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you had “one of the best night’s sleep” you’ve ever had, but disappointed that despite this you only felt able to give us one star out of five. I note that you did not give a mark for ‘sleep quality’ which I feel is more than a little unfair given what you have said at the start of your review.
The pictures on our website are taken of our rooms so I’m a little unsure how they can be nothing alike. The décor is the same as in the pictures so I’m sorry if it was not to your personal taste.
I’m appalled to hear that you considered the room ‘filthy’ and astonished that you did not raise this to us immediately when you entered the room. I certainly would not have stayed in a room that was ‘filthy’. I am at a loss to understand how this can have happened as our rooms are cleaned by an experienced housekeeper and then checked by a manager before being approved for check in. Unfortunately I have been unable to verify your account as you did not raise any issues with us during your stay at any point, indeed this Tripadvisor review is the first indication we have had that you were not happy.
You called down at 11pm to report that there was no hot water – the boiler was checked and found to be working fine and you were advised to leave the shower running for up to 10-15 minutes – I do not imagine that it would have taken that long but I’m sorry if the wait was inconvenient for you.
Unlike the vast majority of hotels in the centre of York, we have limited free parking, which is advertised on a first come, first served basis. Once this is full, there is ample free parking on the street right next to the hotel. I have asked the receptionist about this occasion. You asked if it was OK to park on the side street and were told that it was. You were not told that it “should” be OK as you claim.
At no point during your stay or since have you contacted us to express any problems, other than with the hot water, and given that you have expressed at the start of this review that you had one of the best night’s sleep ever, surely the raison d'être of any hotel, I am frankly baffled by your reference to ‘legal procedures’ over a personal dislike of the décor and a 10 minute wait for hot water.
I understand that when you checked in before having even seen your room you asked for an upgrade and we were unfortunately unable to provide this as the hotel was fully booked, and that despite this being explained to you, you continued to ask the receptionist for the upgrade throughout the night and wonder if this has added to your disappointment.

Regards

Hotel Noir
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel du Vin York
Hotel du Vin York
#20 of 46 in York
Dean Court Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!