“Cosy Hotel good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Noir

Hotel Noir
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Atherstone, United Kingdom
“Cosy Hotel good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

I booked this hotel on last minute.com and was a secret hotel. Having never used this site before it was quite exciting. I originally booked a double room for just £30.60. But has it was my birthday I phoned and upgraded to a four poster room for £20, we arrived late just after 9pm so dinner had already finished so walked into town. Which took around 15 mins. We found a lovely italian and had a very tastly meal then walked back to the hotel for the night. Our bed was massive but rather lumpy mattress and kept waking up in the night also the shower looked like it had seen better days. The room was clean and pretty and the ipod dock was a nice touch. Overall a decent room for £50 but would has been disappointed if id had paid £73. ( mainly because of the shower )

HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
I Thank you for your review. I’m glad to hear that overall your stay was a good one. We do have an ongoing program of replacing the older style bathrooms, if you are staying again, please give us a call direct and we will allocate one of our refurbished rooms if available.

Kind regards, Hotel Noir.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rotherham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Wanted a hotel within easy walking distance of York City centre. The hotel was 10-15 minutes walk from the Minster. The room was warm and very comfortable. The staff were helpful and polite. We had a very enjoyable stay.

HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your review, I’m very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back if you are visiting York again in the future,

Kind regards, Hotel Noir
N.E. England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had had a disappointing time here last Christmas but the Hotel put this right offering us a 'stay on the house'. This time we enjoyed our stay and the food was excellent. We will stay again when we visit York.

Room Tip: From past experience family rooms are in an annex and smaller than Superior Rooms, which is only to...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your review, I’m glad that your complimentary stay with us went some way to putting right the disappointment you had with your meal just after Christmas. Our new chef is doing a great job. I hope we will see you again in the future.

Seaham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Hotel staff were excellent, very helpful & friendly. We had 4 poster bed which creaked when you turned over, the pillows were stained inside & did not have pillow protectors on them which l think is a must, also the room was draughty the heating was on a timer & only came on at 7am for an hour or so, but there was a small electric heater to keep you warm if you needed it. We had evening meals twice, the food was awful, the meat in the stroganoff was full of gristle and stewed not pan fried in strips as it should of been, more like betty,s hot pot. The steak burger was bland, we didn't like to complain as the staff were lovely, but we must say the breakfast's were excellent. The rest of the hotel was clean & tidy.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your review. Firstly, I’m very glad to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful – those are the exact words I would choose to describe the aim of our staff here. I’m sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal with us, especially as the feedback regarding our food is generally excellent. I will pass on this feedback to our chef to see what improvements can be made. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel if you are visiting York again in the future.

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 1 night for a stay in York and it was a lovely smallish hotel, very contemporary and yet still cosy. The rooms were very stylish even if they weren't massive. Unfortunately the chef had called in sick so we couldn't have our evening meal there but they refunded us the money straight away at reception so we were able to make other arrangement easily. Breakfast was lovely and its a perfect walking distance into the city.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Kind regards, Hotel Noir
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

I was going through a very hard period in my life and one Monday evening at 7pm, my boyfriend suggested we escaped for the night. We went on lastminute.com and found this deal which was 'secret hotel' and gave a small description how it was a 'quirky hotel in the centre of York,' it was a gamble booking it, but for £13 (what a deal!!!!) we thought we'd take a gamble.
We arrived at about 9pm, the parking was tight in the carpark so we parked on the next street. When we arrived, a pleasant young man gave us our key, we asked if there was anywhere local to eat and he recommended an Indian restaurant next door.
When we was shown to our room we were blown away. It was so romantic! Four poster beds, all lovely decorated and it was definitely quirky. The bath was a jacuzzi bath and the mini fridge was stocked with complimentary Prosecco, wine, beer and fizzy drinks. We didn't want to leave for our dinner!
The bed was really comfy, we did find a lady bird in the bed which is unfortunate.
There was a coffee machine, not a kettle, an actual machine in the morning - a lovely touch.
Overall our stay was absolutely perfect. Although we only paid £13, we would pay the full prices on our next stay. Highly recommend it to any couple!

HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your review – I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay so much, you certainly did get a bargain at that price! I hope we are able to welcome you back in the future if you are visiting York again.

Cramlington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

£164 for the 4 poster room ...VERY dated , bathroom had tiles that had been painted over , cracks and a flakey ceiling and a yellow bath , windows did not close well so the noise of the traffic was loud , memory foam mattress ( not good for a bad back ) noise from other guests was terrible that went on till stupid 0'clock in the morning , unfortunately I had also booked the room for an extra night over the phone ( would not have if we stayed the night first ) upon leaving receptionist tried to charge an extra £16 for the saturday night and an extra £18 for the Sunday , lesson learnt ...read more reviews before booking a place again !!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank duffa66
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. Our prices are very competitive against other 3 star hotels in this popular city. Rates on a Saturday night are very high due to the huge demand but bargains can be had if you are able to be flexible with your days.
Having checked the bathroom ceiling I can see that it does require attention so I have arranged for it to be stripped and repainted today. I do apologise if this spoiled your stay.
I have checked the window and it is fully closed. I am sorry you felt unable to ask for assistance with this as I am sure a member of staff would have been able to close it for you if asked.
The majority of our guests love our memory foam mattresses – I’m sorry that this was not to your personal taste, however if I may quote from the previous review to yours “the bed (mattress) was perfect, one of the best night’s sleep I've had and the quilt just made you feel like you were in the clouds”.
I myself was on call over the weekend and didn’t receive any calls regarding any excessive noise from other guests. Had you informed me that you were being disturbed I would of course have immediately dealt with the situation for you.
I am not quite sure what you mean when you say the receptionist tried to charge you extra on check out. The first night cost £162 which was paid in advance at the time of booking. The second night was £64 which is the amount you paid on check out.
You suggest that you should have read the reviews before you booked, I would respectfully point out that the large majority of our reviews are favourable.
It’s always disappointing for us on the rare occasions when a guest doesn’t enjoy their stay, and doubly so when the first we hear of any problems is when a review appears on Tripadvisor. I’m certain we would have been able to resolve most if not all of your issues had you let us know while you were here.

Kind regards

Hotel Noir
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel 53
Hotel 53
#31 of 46 in York
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,749 reviews

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!