“Excellent service and staff”
Review of Hotel Noir

Hotel Noir
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Lovely room, spotlessly clean,very comfy bed . Tastefully decorated. Easy walking access into city. Excellent value with free mini bar. What impressed me most was the staff. On arrival I found the reception staff very helpful. On the morning of our departure our car wouldn't start. The receptionist was amazing, she made phone calls on our behalf to the breakdown company, let us use the hotel phone, gave us complimentary tea and was genuinely concerned for us. During our 2hour wait the staff rota changed and the next receptionist was just as helpful,friendly and polite. I would recommend this hotel because the concern shown for us was just amazing and I am very grateful that I was staying here when our car broke down.I have stayed In lots of hotels but never met such helpfulness. In an emergency this is the type of support you need .A huge thank you to the staff of the Hotel Noir. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Excellent value, with free mini bar. The bathroom was large and the

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review! It’s great to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our staff so helpful to you after your mishap! I hope we can welcome you back if you are visiting York again in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Just visited the hotel noir and everything was satisfactory especially for the price of £35 for the room. It was spotlessly clean with some excellent finishing touches such as free mini bar and tassimo machine. The bed was really comfy and slept well and a lovely warm shower the next morning was very nice. I did find the en suite a little on the small size but could possibly be due to the huge shower! Anyone quite tall would probably struggle. Can't comment on the food or bar as didn't use. The staff were helpful and allowed us to park up early and obviously we were lucky to get a space in the car park as this this was tiny for the size of the property and could pose a problem.
Its a lovely 15 minutes walk to the centre.
All in all a lovely place to stay and will definitely return.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle B

Thank you for your review! Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay so much and hope we can welcome you back in the future. Our car park is limited, however there is also ample free parking on the street alongside the hotel.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here with my partner for my 21st.
We got the four poster room on the first floor 411 however we had to walk up a flight of stairs and back down to get to the room with no offer of help with our luggage. The room was compact but nice enough and had nice features such as a complimentary mini bar, robes and docking station. Bathroom had a nice size bath but the fireplace that was in the bathroom, although pretty was filthy dirty. Staff were not remotely friendly and were rarely on the front desk. Breakfast was good and the breakfast room was nice. I do not believe this place is value for money with the higher end rooms and gives a far greater impression of what it is on its website that its actual value. It is very small and limited because of the building it is in and I don't think i would stay in a high end room again but maybe a cheap compact room to get to York. However it was a good 15 minute walk to the minster.

Room Tip: Go for cheap little room. The higher end rooms arent worth it. These rooms are small though. There...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad to hear that you liked the room and it’s extra features and the breakfast.

I apologise that you were not offered assistance with your luggage, this is part of our check in procedure and I have issued a reminder to reception staff regarding this.

Our prices are regularly checked against other 3 star hotels in this popular destination to ensure that we are competitive and we have different styles and sizes of rooms to suit all tastes and budgets.

I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel if you are visiting York again in the future.

Kind regards
Hotel Noir

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our experience at Hotel Noir put a real dampener on what was otherwise a great weekend getaway.

Staying 2 nights, we had ordered a 4-poster room with a bath at £100+ per night. When we arrived there was no bath, and when we rang reception to ask about it we received a short and haughty response telling us to come down to reception. The receptionist handed us a new key without so much as a smile or whiff of an apology.

In our room we found a bath! However, the complimentary fridge did not have chocloate truffles (why advertise it if you don't provide it??) and there were lipstick marks on the sheets. It seemed they hadn't expected this room to be in use. As we were on the ground floor you'd expect the bathroom to have frosted glass, but no! We were compelled to cover up the windows so we could relax and keep out prying eyes, ridiculous!

On both days my complimentary newspaper was nowhere to be found. And on the first day we were served a breakfast so bad and undercooked we were quite ill for the rest of that day. The waitress was as rude and miserable as the receptionist.

On the second day our breakfast was interrupted by a woman with the air of 'management' seating herself in the bar and shouting across the dining area to staff.

My girlfriend and I are not massive complainers, in fact it is rather out of character. However, our experience was such that we will never return to this hotel, and if anyone we know is staying in York we will tell them to avoid it.

For the price of 2 nights we were left extremely disappointed at the lack of value for money.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank James O

Sometimes people just want to be unhappy! I am sure anyone looking at us on Trip Advisor will see how many lovely reviews we have had recently - our team work really hard and we are improving the hotel in leap and bounds despite extremely hard times during this recession. We don't get everything right but overall people generally class our staff as friendly and helpful, food, beds, coffee as good but then you get a guest like this gentleman. I have shown our full response to Mr Toole for your information...

Dear Mr O’Toole,
Thank you for your feedback – I am really sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I have retrieved the paperwork for your booking and note that there is no request for a room with a bath – but I am pleased to see that the receptionist was able to move you to a room with a bath immediately when you told us this was what you wanted. It’s great customer service like this that we pride ourselves on.

You are correct in your supposition that we do not put the chocolates in the room if the room has not been sold that night – I do apologise on behalf of the receptionist for this oversight as she should have thought to put some in before moving you.

I am sorry if the housekeepers have missed a mark on the clean bedding – I can’t however find any reports of a request for this to be changed during your stay?

Room 411 does have frosted glass in the bathroom, as do all our bathrooms (and ground floor bedrooms) in fact – I am sorry if you somehow managed to miss this?

On checking your registration form that you filled in for us during check in, I can see that you have left the box (which is highlighted yellow) for requesting a newspaper blank, and this is why you did not receive a newspaper.

I am shocked to hear that your breakfast was apparently undercooked on both mornings. I have spoken to the waitress who again tells me that nothing was said to her about a problem with any breakfasts those mornings, or indeed any other morning recently.

She is very upset at your comments that she was “rude and miserable” as she always goes out of her way to be polite and friendly, and has asked me to pass on her sincere apologies if she came across to you in this way, which was not her intention at all.

I am completely at a loss to understand your comment about a member of management shouting across the restaurant, as there was no manager on duty during that Saturday morning. I can only imagine you have mistaken another guest talking to a friend.

I am sorry to hear you will not be returning and wish you all the best for the future.

Kind regards
Hotel Noir.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was the best hotel we have stayed in for a long time, Friendly staff, and first class food in the restaurant. Very clean and comfortable bed. Free mini bar in room which is a bonus. will stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the green on the main A19. Even so it was very quiet and had no trouble in slee...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent feedback! I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in future, please give us a call direct and we can offer you a 10% discount from the advertised rates as a returning customer.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have just returned from a one night stay trip here, we booked via Venere and upgraded to the Four poster B&B package
The Hotel was just on the outskirts of York about 20 mins from the station (Walking) and 10/15 into town

The Hotel was clean and friendly the Room was lovely, and the Bed I think the most comfortable I’ve ever slept in, the Linen and Towels were good quality and it was great having the Tasimo machine and the IPod doc

The downside was defiantly the Bathroom, My Boyfriend stepped into the shower and slipped over, then the water pressure/temperature was appalling, I gave up in the end and had a wash, just glad I didn’t need to wash my Hair think I would have been there a very long time!!

Breakfast was ok, Friendly Staff and good Choice, and cooked to order, glad It was part of our room rate though as don’t think it would have been worth the £11.50 they were charging

All in all a great trip, my first to York and can’t wait to go back, would defiantly stay at the Hotel Noir again, and hope that they invest in fixing the Showers,

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear that you thought our bed the most comfortable you’ve ever slept in! Sorry to hear that you had issues with the water pressure, there have been intermittent issues with this at busy times but I can confirm that we are having a new water system installed right now as I type this.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future, please give us a call direct if you are returning and we can offer you a 10% discount from the advertised rates as a returning customer.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Excellent location close to city. Friendly staff. Room [compact double] fine. In courtyard right off car park so a bit noisy. Limited dinner menu but excellent quality and good value. Breakfast good but a bit expensive if not booked at the same time as room booking.

Room Tip: Compact double a good size for one person - but no chair and rather poor lighting. Otherwise comfort...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Thank you for your review, I’m very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back if you are visiting York again in the future,

Kind regards, Hotel Noir

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Park Inn by Radisson York
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel Indigo York
#3 of 47 in York
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Express York
Best Western York Pavilion Hotel

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!