“Lovely stay in a beautiful city”
Review of Hotel Noir

Hotel Noir
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The hotel is cozy and makes you feel like home :) I stayed at room 102 and the room is really spacious and nicely decorated! There is even a coffee machine inside. Besides, the hotel is conveniently located, 15 minute walk from the scenic city centre. I did have dinner at the hotel restaurant at an affordable price and the quality of food was good. Overall, I did wholly enjoy my stay at hotel Noir :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
reception H, Front Office Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2014

Thank you for your lovely review and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future!

Kind regards, Hotel Noir.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,161)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights on a visit to York. The hotel is easy to find and is just about a 10 minute walk to the centre of York. On arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant girl on reception. We stayed in a four poster room on the ground floor but this was accessed by going up and down stairs which is difficult with a lot of luggage. The room itself was fine but could be a bit cleaner as there was some dust. The bed was clean and comfortable and it was nice to have a safe and the free mini bar. There was a large high-sided modern bath but unfortunately this was difficult to get in and out of as there are no grab rails. I also found it strange that the toiletries were situated on the wall at such a high level above the bath. The car park is very small only about enough room for 6 or 7 cars but we got one. The staff were all very nice and friendly especially the girls who were on at breakfast. The breakfast was excellent and cooked to order. I would go so far as saying it was the best breakfast we had during our 10 day trip around UK. There was some building work going on when we were leaving so it seems that they are renovating the hotel. Double glazing would be good as there is some traffic noise if you are at the front. Overall, a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Ask for help with luggage as the hotel stairs are very narrow and steep
1  Thank Kate023
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Thank you for your review! Glad to hear that overall your stay with us was a good one. Our staff are always able to help with luggage if required, as we do not have the benefit of an elevator for our upper floors, alternatively, it is usually possible to allocate a ground floor room if we are notified in advance. We have 10 car parking spaces but there is ample free parking on the street next to the hotel once this is full. The renovations you witnessed were either our new hot water system being installed, which has given us vastly improved water pressure in showers throughout the building, or the double glazing which has now been fitted in all our rooms. I do hope we can welcome you back if you are visiting York again in the future!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel has lots of lovely touches which sets it apart from other hotels, for example the free mini bar, chocolates in the fridge, fresh milk and free packs e.g. if you forget to take your toothbrush or other essentials. Our room was very clean and the bed comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurant was delicious and of high quality. It is only a 10 minute walk to town and the bus stop is nearby if you choose not to walk. We will definitely be staying here again in the future.

1  Thank KOSM350

Thank you for your review! Glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated all our little extras. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel next time you are visiting York.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Myself and my girlfriend recently visited Hotel Noir for a weekend away and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

The location of the hotel is good, found on the corner of the main road overlooking a pleasant green. It is around a 10 minute walk from the city centre itself.

The staff at the hotel are very pleasant and are willing to help you at all times.

we were particularly impressed with our room which was a double with an en-suite. the room was very spacious with plenty of storage for clothes etc. there was your usual hair dryer, iron and board. there was also a Tassimo machine which made making tea's & coffee's very quick and useful. the room also came with a complimentary mini bar which was topped up each day, which is an extremely nice touch.

My girlfriend was extremely impressed with the en suite, which was very modern. The shower was spacious and powerful. The mirror above the sink lit up upon touching it which gave added lighting.

The food at the hotel was also nice, tasty and portion sizes were just the right amount. Breakfast had all the usual options, with everything being topped up on a regular basis.

The only thing that caused us a problem was the noise from outside. With the hotel being close to a main road, there is naturally traffic coming past. If the window is left open during the night, it can get rather noisy.However, this is a very small complaint in what was overall an excellent stay.

I would certainly recomend this hotel and we will definitely be returning at some point in the future.

2  Thank Kristian L

Thank you for your review, glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We’ve made a lot of improvements recently and these seem to be making a real difference to our guest’s experience including our brand new double glazing which has reduced traffic noise considerably! I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend for my birthday over the weekend, it's in a lovely location only 10 minute walk from the town centre and we found it easy enough walking from the train station with the help of Google maps. We didn't want to stay anywhere too big and impersonal like in a chain hotel but at the same time we didn't want to stay in a B&B and feel like we were in someones house so Hotel Noir with it's 28 rooms was perfect, we stayed in Room 205 and it was lovely, the room was larger than expected which was nice and there was a lovely obscured glass paneled wall separating the bathroom and the bedroom which was an unusual touch. The bathroom was spotlessly clean, fitted with the black and white theme of the rest of the hotel and had glittery walls, all the essentials like fresh fluffy towels and simple extras to make life easier that some hotels often miss like sanitary bags and fresh disposable cups each morning. The shower was a good size, easy to use and all of the bathroom facilities were very modern and brand new, sink was a little bit small if I'm being fussy but that made no difference to us. In the rest of the room we had an ironing board and iron, hair drier, complimentary coffee machine, ipod docking machine, and a free mini bar with 2 bottles of lager, 2 mini bottles of wine, 2 cans of soft drinks, chocolates and bottled water which was actually free and was a lovely little surprise as usually in hotels I avoid the mini bar for fear of ridiculous prices and it was topped up each day, also free. The bed was enormous and very comfy, me and my 6ft 2 boyfriend both starfished out on the night without him coming anywhere near close to squashing me like he does in regular sized double beds, that was a nice bonus! Despite the hotel being quite near a main road I didn't notice any traffic noise at all and slept very well. We pre-paid for breakfast both mornings which was definitely worth it and I'd recommend it, it was served between 8 and half 10 on the weekend which was good as we got a little bit of lie in, when we got downstairs for breakfast it wasn't too busy, staff were friendly and it was a lovely start to the day, as much coffee, tea, juice, fruit, cereal and toast with a selection of jams etc as we could eat and then me and my partner both got a full english, the sausages, eggs and bacon etc were all locally sourced and it was gorgeous. On the Saturday night we came back to the hotel after visiting a few bars and going on Trevor Rooney's ghost walk (which I'd also recommend) we decided to sit downstairs in the hotel bar for an hour or so for a couple of cocktails which was nice and relaxing after how busy all the bars in the city centre were, good offers 2 for £10 and they were delicious! Leaving on Sunday morning the receptionist was a bit miserable but I think that's the only fault I'd pick. Good stay, lots of nice little extra touches and Hotel Noir made our weekend in York that extra bit more special. I'd definitely recommend here, we're a young couple and were looking for somewhere to stay, lots of people said to go for cheap B&B's or travel lodge options but I'm so pleased we didn't because the hotel really made a difference to the weekend, and me and my boyfriend both loved it, suited our needs perfectly.

Room Tip: We chose room 205 because we'd heard it had been recently renovated, it was a lovely room, massi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nirvana V

Thank you for your lovely review! Glad to hear you had such a great weekend, and that you liked room 205 which is one of our rooms that has received a full refurbishment. I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel if you are returning to York in the future. I’m sorry to hear you thought I was a bit miserable on Sunday morning, I didn’t feel miserable so I certainly didn’t mean to give you that impression! Next time you are here I promise to flash you my most winning smile.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I Visited Hotel Noir recently with a group of 20 guys from London and we stayed from Wednesday until Sunday.

The location of the hotel was very good as it was only a 5 minute walk into town(Which we visited everyday) so that was helpful.

The rooms were set out brilliantly and also had all the extras that you wouldn't expect like ironing board, coffee machine and also have a selection of soft drinks in the fridge that get refilled every night which was a nice touch.

We all sat down on the Friday evening for a 3 course meal in the restaurant and the food was delicious and at an affordable price.

The staff were brilliant, especially Logan and Toni who was extremely helpful throughout our stay.

Will definitely be back next year!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hello Ryan, thank you for your review! It’s always a great pleasure to have you guys staying with us every year, I think the staff look forward to your visit almost as much as you guys do. I will pass on your compliments to Logan and to Toni, who I know especially enjoyed having you.

Kind regards, Hotel Noir

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed here for one night as a little getaway to York, have been to York before for a short trip and always enjoy it, would definitely stay in this hotel again, good location to walk into the centre (around 10/15 minutes) and only a £5 taxi ride when we got a taxi from a central restaurant (Delrios- excellent italian restaurant)

The Hotel features lots of lovely little touches that make the stay feel special, I booked through the website and signed up as a 'friend' which gave us 10% off the room and any food or drinks we had during our stay. It also meant we could have a late check out (12pm) and that our room was upgraded from a standard double to a four poster, we had large fluffy robes to snuggle into, and handmade chocolates to enjoy with the complimentary prosecco in our mini bar.

Not an overly luxurious hotel but a good price for a stay in York and the little touches may not be essential but do make you feel a little bit spoiled (free mini bar, coffee machine, dressing gowns, ipod docking station)

We stayed on the ground floor (up and down some stairs still so don't recommend lugging huge suitcases, although we were offered a hand if we needed it) We were at the front of the hotel which meant there was quite a bit of traffic and pedestrian noise, this was not helped by the fact we had our window open due to the warm weather. However we slept well in the huge king size bed.
We had a large bathroom with a lovely deep bath and modern features and the room overall was clean and comforable, if a little overpowered by the very large bed.

Was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel and cannot wait to return for another stay in york

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review, glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Remember to book via our website when you return, and your ‘Friends Of Noir’ membership will get you all the same benefits for your return visit.

Kind regards, Hotel Noir.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
The Churchill Hotel
Hotel du Vin York
Hotel du Vin York
#17 of 47 in York

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!