“Not bad for a short stay.”
Review of Hotel Noir

Hotel Noir
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
scotland
“Not bad for a short stay.”
Reviewed 4 April 2009

When we were driving up to the hotel I thought have I made a mistake in booking this Hotel. I was dissapointed when I saw the outside of the hotel, it was quite a dreary looking place cream stone with dark green woodwork around the windows.When parking car a workman told us we would have to use front entrance as they were laying a new floor at the entrance to hotel from the car park.Sill working when we went for a drink in the bar at 8pm. didn't sit long with all the noise going on.
[ I did not realise that there was work going on at the time of booking.] The check in guy was quick no small talk. just told us room number , directions and time of breakfast. We booked a double room given Queen room no 203. Room was tiny barely enough room to walk past bed and window to get to en suite. Our view was brick wall 3/4 way over window then top of roof of dining room.
The safe in cupboard was far too high to reach I had to stand on chair to get into safe.
There was clean white towels on bed when we arrived and next day we thought we had got clean towels as they were folded neatly on the bed but they were the ones we had used that morning as they were still wet..We we were there for 3 days and didnt get clean towels {glad I brought my own } plus the carpet did not get vacuumed in the time we were there,
The mini bar was handy it contained a bottle of beer, small bottle wine and couple cans juice.didnt use the water in mini bar as the bottles looked like that they hadnt been washed in a while as they were covered in greasy dirty fingerprints and not sure if they were refilled with fresh water each day.. Better if they had supplied sealed bottles of water.
Breakfast was ok.
The walk into York wasnt long took us 12 mins{I dont walk very fast}
I would go back to york but not sure if I would stay at hotel noir.
Glad I got a good deal on the hotel 3 nights for the price of 2.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Solihull
Reviewed 31 March 2009

The new young professional owners have really stamped their mark on this hotel. the rooms have recently been refurbished and are to an excellent standard. The staff couldn't be more helpful, imparting information on the City of York, where to eat what to see.
It is situated just a short walk from The Minster and the town centre.
As a blue badge tourist guide visiting York with 11 friends, staying in this small hotel that has character has been a pleasure.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
east yorkshire
Reviewed 23 March 2009

after spending hours deciding where to stay for our 1st wedding anniversary , we were expecting a great hotel. what we got was a hotel price tag on a shabby b & b quality room. it was clean, but the decor was poor and there was a hole under the carpet, and nails could be felt when you walked over the carpet to the bathroom. we had paid for a superior room and i would not stay there again. we asked for breakfast in bed but was told this was not possible. is this a hotel or a fancy b & b ?

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Harrogate
Reviewed 29 January 2009

This is a third rate bed and breakfast - very disappointing.

I stayed here after looking at the web site and the promise of a Boutique Hotel; I wish I saved my money and stayed in a Travel Lodge instead. I have actually owned hotels before (and am a Sommelier) and I think it's terribly disappointing when there are hotels / boutiques like this that let the side down.

Given the credit crunch I would say your money is worth being spent else where.

Breakfast was fine and staff were friendly, but noise level at night made it difficult to sleep. Very poor quality of bathrooms; 3 rate to be fair. There is no price for a good nights sleep.

This hotel was recommeneded by a fellow sommelier; but I wish they hadn't bothered. I'll be letting them know what I thought.

Walk into town was fine; although it is a fair distance and not for the light hearted.

Would I stay again . . . no. There are lots of much better hotels on offer in York and Harrogate . . . there is no need to stay in boutiques at overrated prices!

• Disliked — The noise at night; the walls and floor are paper thin. Horrendous night sleep.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
Doncaster
Reviewed 26 January 2009

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Noir on Saturday for my Birthday night out in York. Ignore any bad reviews, this is a cracking little hotel. Staff were really friendly and helpfull, nothing was too much trouble. Room was very clean, with free mini-bar, flat screen TV etc. We asked for a late check out Sunday morning which we pushed to 1PM and no one even bothered us. Fantastic value for money and one of the few hotels in York that lets you stay for one night only on a Saturday. We stay in a lot of Hotels all over the world, of all different standards and we'll definitely stay here again. Thanks again, Dave and Chrissy Parker, Wiseton.

Stayed January 2008
Leeds
Reviewed 14 January 2009

We were not happy with our stay at this hotel. It was a surpise trip away for my wife at what was supposed to be a boutique hotel.

This hotel does not meet the standards promised by the web site. Despite first appearances (and the web site itself), it is a very shabby 3rd rate place.

I ended up buying my wife a sorry present for taking her there and not reading the reviews properly! So it cost me even more! Had a lovely time in York and Harrogate, but hotel was more than disappointing. My wife also found the room a bit grubby; so I lost points on that as well!

Over the years I've stayed at lots of good hotels - this was not one of them. I would recommend a stay in York though!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Masterchef008
burnley
Reviewed 3 January 2009

we booked a two night stay at the Noir for a getaway after the new year. After booking the break i came onto trip advisor and looked at the reviews which frightened us but can i say IGNORE them the hotel has been great and the service out of this world. On entering the hotel we recieved a warm welcome rom the staff and on entering our room we was very suprised how lovely it was very modern and very clean with a black and white decor theme, the room was quite small but big enough for two it consisted of an lcd tv, ipod docking station, a free mini bar and a free tassimo coffee machine. The room looked to have recently been refurbished and the bathroom was lovely.Rooms in the pictures look plain and basic and they are far from that. The breakfast was exceptional and the service faultless. The centre of york is about 15 minutes away but a nice walk and all flat. Te city is lovely and so was the hotel i will be returning again to this hotel.

• Liked — how modern and contempary it was
  • Disliked — slightly small
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel du Vin York
Hotel du Vin York
#18 of 47 in York
Dean Court Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!