Hotel Noir
US$76
B+B York(York)(Great Value!)
US$100
  • Breakfast included
Marmadukes Town House Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$132
Priceline
US$168
1,183 results
All reviewsfree mini barcoffee machinecompact roomcar parksmall bottle of winefour posterlovely little hotelfresh milkposter bedcity centrepub next doorminute walkiron and ironing boarddressing gownsfree parkingwould stay againbooked this hotel
Reviewed 1 May 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights on the 21st april this year, I booked it through laterooms.com as this was a last minute decsion to go, as our honeymoon was cancelled due to the volcanic ash.
We were both very upset and disapointed that it was cancelled, and I suppose our expections were quite high for this hotel.
We phoned up the hotel the day before just to check that everything was okay, as it was supposed to be a special trip.
When we arrived it was quite early. (we live 2 hours away in North Wales). so decided to go into the city centre to get our barings.
The city centre was about 15 minutes away and the walk was very pleasant.
Since it was our first night at the hotel, we decided to have our evening meal at the hotel. We dined at half seven, and went for the 3 course meal which was £30 pounds each.
At the dining area my husband and I were the first ones there, as the restaurant had just opened. Soon after another couple arrived and a gentlemen who was dining alone.
The lady who was at the restaurant was taking our order, and my husband decided to have the banoffee pie for dessert. But was told that there wasn't any left!, this was at the start of the night, and they had run out already!!!. I decided to have the chocolate brownie as did my husband, but was quickly told there was only 1 left of that!!!.
The meal itself was just okay. Not really worth £30 pounds if I am honest.
The night ended, so we just went to bed.
The next day, we had breakfast in the hotel, and opted for the full english breakfast. The restaurant was quite busy, but not too bad at the start.
The breakfast also included toast nad cereal which you just served yourself. The selection of cereals included weetabix and weetabix, so you were stuffed if you didn't like weetabix!!!.
The cooked breakfast soon arrived and we tucked into cold beans, and cold hash browns. basically it was cold!.
I called over to the waitress who did apologise and took it back promptly.
When it arrived back, the breakfast was still cold!!!.
I was not the only person to complain, a family who was sitting opposite us complained that there' s was cold also.
At the end of our stay we checked out to descovier that a bill was to be paid. There was no outstanding bill for us to pay, as we had paid for everything.
A matter that was soon resolved but something that we didn't want to hear.
Oh one more thing, if you decide like most sensible people to leave your key with reception while you go out just in case you loose it, don't. The staff have a bit of a problem with wanting to look after your key.
And the bathroom problem with the shower, It is an awful one. There is a cink in the pipe which is fairly annoying.
I sent the hotel when I arrived back an e mail to tell them of my issues, but I felt my opinions were not taken seriously and the customer service was poor.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel M
Reviewed 10 April 2010

Our online booking at Hotel Noir was speedily and efficiently handled by Laterooms.com. The special offer for a midweek stay of £85 prpn ( 2 Course Dinner included first night) we found to be good value.
Our reason for a trip away was to celebrate a Wedding Anniversary and York was chosen for several reasons, two of which were the Minster and the National Railway Museum .

The Hotel was reached from the Railway station via York's excellent 'Park and Ride' bus service and using our free National bus passes we found that it was just a few minutes journey away at Clifton Green. Hotel Noir is a half timbered black beamed building with white painted exterior walls and the main entrance, opening right off the street, and looked a little unprepossessing at first sight. Set back from the main thoroughfare, the Hotel is tucked away on a narrow side road, facing a grassed and tree lined park. The road at the time of our arrival was very busy with traffic. Reception was a small area, and the Receptionist, who turned out to be the owner, greeted us and checked us in in a pleasant and friendly manner. Our room was on the second floor, reached by two flights of very narrow and steep staircases. Prospective guests with disabilities, should try for accommodation on the ground floor.

Once reached, our room was clean, bright, and very well presented. A medium sized Flat panel TV was wall mounted directly opposite the bed, above a white wood dresser and adjacent to a good sized wardrobe. The mini- fridge looked a little lost standing by itself next to a full length black timber framed mirror, but as its contents were 'free' we accepted it's slightly incongruous appearance. The free contents consisted at check in of two small bottles of water, two cans of soft drinks and a bottle of fresh milk. Plans for a boozy evening courtesy of Hotel Noir were quickly abandoned! A small bottle of red wine stood on the dresser top next to a coffee machine and the 'makings' for tea and coffee.

The en suite bathroom was spacious, clean and well presented, but although a wall mounted radiator was present, the room was not particularly warm. A solid glass half screened over bath shower looked to be ok at first glance, but was to prove the least functional of all the room's equipment.

I had brought my lap top with me as the hotel advertised free WiFi connection. This was duly set up and worked well throughout our stay. A problem arose due to the lack of a suitable table to use as a desk, and balancing a quite large laptop between lap and bedside cabinet became quite uncomfortable. The single very modern looking chair did not appeal as the seat and back were of a single moulded transparent plastic. It looked out of place against the the very comfortable bed. Bed linen, Duvet, pillows all in white and a dark cloth shoe guard across the bottom of the bed were all pristine and fresh. Both bed head lights cast a warm glow which softened an otherwise stark black and white decor. The view from the second floor was of the rear environs and hotel car park which is quite small and I was glad that we had left our car at home. A bedside radio with an MP3 connection seemed to be preset to 'Pop' channels and I could not be bothered to seek a less frenetic sound. The tiny remote control was not of much help, either. The room was warm and very comfortable.

We walked into York for a preliminary 'recce' and I sank a cool and leisurely pint of Guinness.

A walk back completed our exercise for the day, as the distance totalled about 3 miles. The weather was dry and quite sunny but being March, and in England, there was no danger of a heatwave!

Our Tariff included dinner,and we arrived in the restaurant at 7.30 prompt and were greeted pleasantly by a young lady with a ready smile and a pleasing manner. We ordered and sat back to take in the quiet ambience of the restaurant, where the 'olde world' theme of black timber and white panels had been continued to quite a pleasing effect. The waitress arrived with a surprise aperitif, a small sugar bowl sized pottery container holding a piping hot,freshly baked loaf of olive bread and two smaller dishes with a dark spicy dip in one and an oil and vinegar in the other. It was simply delicious! Goat's cheese croquettes and a nicely cooked fillet steak went down very well with a couple of glasses of a very drinkable Merlot. Coffee was served in the adjacent lounge and it wasn't long before we tottered up to bed replete with good food and drink.

After an excellent night's sleep we tried out the ablutions. The shower head looked solid enough but that was where the good bit ends. The armoured hose connecting bath taps and the head had kinked after the first 3 - 4" of its length and effectively blocked any hope of a free flowing shower Trying to get and maintain a bearable water temperature was impossible as the pressure of cold water was either too weak to pass the kinked tube or later far too strong and completely overwhelmed the hot flow. Judging hotels by the efficiency of their showers has become a habit with me and I have to mark down an otherwise very good hotel using this criterion. When will hotel owners install a ' power shower' as a basic necessity?.

Breakfast, a 'Full English' was speedily served in the packed restaurant . Generous portions of Bacon, Sausage, two poached eggs and even the old Army 'starter for ten', baked beans, followed by an excellent cafetiere of coffee, topped us up ready for an energetic day, sightseeing at our chosen venues.

York's very efficient bus service took us into the City where the glories of recent history at the NRM and much more ancient history at the Minster occupied us for the rest of the day, culminating with a Communion Service at the Minster.
This ended around 6 pm and set us free to chose a restaurant for our evening meal. As this review is about a hotel, I'll not relate our adventures, suffice to say that 'Vincento,' the owner of '' La Vecchia Scuola" Italian restaurant, keeps his promises! :-)

Quite heavy rain was falling on our exit but the brolly which I had carried unused all day came to the rescue and we strolled to the bus stop to wait inside the No. 22 'Park and Ride' service to take us back to the hotel. A nightcap of a glass of whisky rounded off an excellent day's sightseeing, and we both slept well, to wake to bright sunshine.

Breakfast on our second morning was a complete contrast to the first. The restaurant was empty , the waitress forgot my order of sausages, the coffee was lukewarm and our table in the annexe was right in a draught from the well used doors exiting to the car park.

With just one or two reservations, notably the poor shower and the lack of a table / desk in the room, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank abueloeddie
Reviewed 5 April 2010

We stayed in a 3 bed room that had just been refurbished because it smelt of paint. We stayed out the back next to the car park. It was very quiet but one of the beds was very uncomfortable. The walk into town was about 15 min but walkable. we stayed there on a sunday so the resteraunt was closed. Overall it was good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2010

What could have been a resonable stay in what is effectively a slightly upmarket B&B was spoilt by a constantly disturbed night due to a faulty heating system which crashed and banged throughout the night through both the bedroom and bathroom radiators. As it is not a hotel as such there was no-one to contact in the middle of the night and so ended up having only a few hours sleep prior to a business meeting. However , I do not believe this was a one off incident. The room was ridiculously hot when I arrived so much so that I had to open a window ( despite being in the middle of a cold winter), and the bathroom smelt musty/damp. I informed the staff on reception in the morning who were sympathetic and gave me contact details for the owner ( I had already paid in full.) I wrote to the owner describing my experience and have not even had the courtesy of a reply -let alone a refund! My letter was not aggressive or unreasonable but paying £100 for a night that is continuosly disturbed by a faulty heating system in my opinion .is not good value for money, and the lack of any response to my letter suggests to me that the motives for running this establishment are based on profit and not customer service/ customer care. In future I shall spend my money elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 March 2010

well this was the worst £120 spent for one night.thought for that price the room would have been more than it was.I booked this as a treat for my hard working husband and chose a surperior room, well if thats one of their best i would hate to stay in their basic room. Free mini bar what 2 cans of pop one tiny bottle of wine and bottle of beer. well worth the 120.00 Not.And states 10 min walk from city centre. what a joke took us half an hour.You need to be linford christy to do it in ten mins.The breakfast was basic the bath had not been cleaned and the sink had black dust in it.Never stay again and feel i was robbed. £120 for one night what a rip off.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple