“closed for business, dirty, do not even think about staying here”
Review of Hilton Lodge

Hilton Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clifton
Hilton Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Clifton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Arrived to find it had closed down, owner said the manager had ran off and he wasnt aware we were booked in. said we could stay but he would need to clean up. what an under statement, place was filthy and everything was either covered in dust or muck. We were told that he had recently bought next door and was renovating both to turn it into a larger hotel. There are no locks on the doors and half of them do not even shut. The bath was filthy and although there was a hoover it was covered in so much dust it looked broken, it wasnt therefore I decided to hoover myself.
We were charged full price and reluctantly had to pay as could find no where else to stay. Basically just do not go to the hotel even if you have already paid deposit.

• Stayed: April 2010
4  Thank atom231

Reviewed 19 April 2010

Booked this hotel about a month ago and paid in full. Can't get in touch with anyone and the number I ring goes to answer phone after a few rings. Total con! DO NOT BOOK. !! I've lost £128. Reporting to holiday watchdog.

Stayed: April 2010
4  Thank EMERALD781
Reviewed 16 April 2010

I booked with them for the 24th April for a group of girls for my birthday, payed £100 pound to find they have done a runner with my money. Their not at the hotel anymore not answering the phone o emails, so im stuck with train tickets and i cant even find any where else at short notice. Wot kind of people do things like that knowing we were going for my birthday. I cant say wot i really want to say about these people on here.

• Stayed: April 2010
2  Thank xbabykins
Reviewed 12 April 2010

10 of us stayed at the hilton lodge in york we had bin made to feel very welcome from the moment the door opened. n we were told by the young man that they could put us up but they said they had just actually got the property bk ,after a very annoying matter for them,and they were shocked to find the state of how the lovely old victorian family home had been kept .so they said they were undergoing a mass cleaning opperation so they could keep that part open untill they join the two buildings together meaning next door as they informed me they had bought the building the plans i am excited for them n will definatley be returning to see the finished result ,as our stay there was second to none impecable service n polightness great ambiance n verry nice n fresh n clean lovely food n great people id reccomend to anybody ,thanks guys see u all soon .

Reviewed 5 April 2010

Where do I start, the outside looked very run down compared to internet picture. Previous manager had left a couple of days ago and the owner had left a pub chef and cleaner in charge (poor things). The place was filtly and everything seemd to come off in your hands when touched. We had paid extra for Victorian room which was filtly with hairs in bed and bath, filthly cups, cracked sink (apprently this made it authentic), shake and vac was everywhere to cover up smell. We were told we could park in front and was given a notice to explain we we guests and received a £35 parking fine. The next day 6 guests were unable to get in as nobody was manning the place. the locks kept breaking and first night front door was kept shut with screwdrivers underneath (good job not a fire as we would of been struggling to get out). First day breakfast served by cleaner and was ok but next day the chef had gone awol and bemused cleaner turned up not knowing what was going on. By then a leak had started to drip in kitchen (looked like Victorian bath too heavy and was buckling the ceiling in kitchen). We left the building with no one around, owner just didn't seem bothered. There were numerous other things happening with the owner and brother who was gutting the property next door at war with each other and the police and fire bridgade were regular visitors to both properties. What a nightmare!!!! If you still want to go all I can say is good luck!!!

2  Thank dijdenny
Reviewed 4 April 2010

Myself and my husband stayed at this god awful place for 2 nights. We were met on arrival by what seemed to be a mad man next door throwing furniture from the house adjoining Hilton Lodge. As the story unfolded basically this man owned the house adjoining the hilton and the Hilton itself. His sister had rented the lodge from him to use as a bed and breakfast. They had a major falling out at somepoint and as a result this man had threatened the manager of the lodge, and he apparently left 2 days before we arrived. So in his place they had put a young single man who had no experience of guest houses or indeed people skills, i have to say he stunk costantly of alcahol and was obvious he had a problem!!! He was as helpful as he could be but this service was terrible anyhow.
The Hilton stinks-- no clean bedding, we had someone elses pubes in our bed... The towels were few and very grey looking. The bathroom adopted a leak which showed itself on the kitchen ceiling next to the lights !!! The carpets were sticky and hadnt even been hoovered and the net curtains were black. When we went up to our room there was sour milk in jugs and old coffee mugs from the previous guests. None of the keys worked properly in the front door or our room so at one point we stood outside the guest house with 3 other couples until the manager arrived back from doing a local shop to get toilet roll and something for the next days breakfast....
We tried everywhere to change accomodation but being Easter we had no luck at all... I complained and wanted to see the landlady who apparently owns a pub as well 10 minutes from the guesthouse. Amazingly she was constantly busy and couldnt make time to see me. Only when 3 other couples walked out and there was nearly a mutiny did she arrive with her partner to see what the fuss was about. She had no problem with the conditions of the place and it took me plenty of talking and threats of taking it further to get half my money back ( we paid in full over the internet after the fantastic write up this place had !!!) On the Saturday night the manager never even came back to the guest house, we had a visit from one of his drunk friends to see where he was, my husband managed to get him out the door and we again rang the landlady to inform her of the incident to which i got the reply "its ok the manager is sat having a drink with us, at our pub..." On Sunday morning we packed our bags and went downstairs, still no manager-nobody had been there all night except us 3 couples that were staying,behind the "private" door i heard noises and knew the manager had a dog. We prized the door open to find that his dog had been locked in that room for at least 12 hours with no sign of his owner returning. I went into the kitchen to get the dog breakfast and a drink. OMG even cockroaches wouldnt have lived in the fridge---there was grease dripping from everywhere, there was uncovered foods in the fridge along with open tins that had just been thrown in.
I could go on endlessly about the state of the place and the appauling conditions of the guest house. Me and my husband stayed the weekend out as did another couple we met there purely because we had nowhere else to stay and when we went out at night for a meal we had as much wine as possible to make the guest house seem much nicer !!!!!
I got a complimentry bottle of wine as i demanded one after showing the manager my booking form which clearly stated we would get one, he had to buy it with his own money as the landlady wouldnt get us one.But i feel i also got complimentry bed bugs, germs,other peoples pubic hair, and the state of the kitchen, i was surprised not to come away with food poisoning or something more serios
But.... there is a good point to the place ..its right next door to the hospital..so should the man next door finally lose it or you get eaten by cockroaches..or indeed the bath should fall through the leaking ceiling then you will be in good hands....and in the hospital within minutes !!!!!!!!

4  Thank tiggyLouth
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We stayed here for the Jorvik Viking Festival, and I was worried after reading some of these reviews. But in all fairness, things have obviously improved, as the bath was fine, the room was fine, the toilet was fine, In fact everything was fine....

If I had to pick a fault, the only thing I would say is the parking is a pain, as we had to park on a Pay & Display just up the road, the price was good ( £5 for 24 hours ) but it was out of sight, & obviously we were concerned that the car may get tampered with, but it was fine.

My friend heard children laughing and playing in the middle of the night, but I think that was probably down to us doing the Ghost tour, haha!!!.

All in all, we would definately return.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends