“Please read this before you book!!”
Review of Hilton Lodge

Hilton Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clifton
Hilton Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Clifton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 December 2010

I am writing this review months after my wife and I stayed there. My only comments are that our experience mirrors that of the other 2 guests in April 2010. The location was about the only good thing, as it is within walking distance of the centre of York. The guest house itself was very dissapointing. Our room had not been cleaned from the previous guests, the bins were full, cigarette ends in the fire place, dust and cobwebs everywhere, but the worst thing was the dirty tissue we found in our bed on the first night. The breakfast was appaling, the quality and presentation were from somebody that just did not care, and the food was unappetising. Then there was the parking, I was told by the manager that i could park on the exit round the back of the house, and as a result i received a rude letter from a disgruntled neighbour, who then dented and scratched my car which was under 1 year old. After 3 nights stay we were ready to go home. We wrote to the manager and never received a reply. My advise would be that if this was the last available hotel in York, and you really want to go, book into the nearest town instead and make day trips!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Coverdale076

Reviewed 23 July 2010

went to york for new year.. had a great time untill we went back to this hotel...... there was people waiting outside to get in , in the freezing cold.. and had been outside for hours waiting to get in..then we woke up expecting breakfast to be told the landlady had been arrested. for fighting.... no breakfast.and another couple couldnt go home because the owners car was blocking theres in and they couldnt get hold of the landlady because she was in a police cell.the hotel wasnt what it looked like in pictures and wasnt clean a shared bathroom for our floor which wasnt nice to look at, the toilet was dirty.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank joanne090
Reviewed 28 June 2010

I must say their website looked beyond impressive and the prices seemed too good to be true. Being the only b&d in central York that allows pets, it was my only possible choice. Since there is no sign outside (or parking for that matters) it was hard to locate the place. Their neighbours told me not to go in since the place is a party house at night with all the drunks coming over and is unsafe for single young women. Having little faith in strangers' opinion I ended up going in anyway.

It wasn't the unlit dusty hallway that made me want to leave, or even the plastic figure of Elvis obstructing the entrance into the 'office'. And it wasn't the fact that all the staff were semi-toothless men with tattoos all over their bodies. Nor was it the fact that they were all smoking inside, or that the building next door had no windows for they were 'renovating' it (who renovates with mounds of beer and vodka bottles?) Ok, to be honest, it was all that plus the neighbours warning that made me tremble and sweat at the thought that I will never leave the place in one piece. It took me about half an hour to persuade them to let me go. I was willing to pay for the stay and then just run off without ever coming back.

I know it's not a proper review of a stay, more of an escape story. If you are traveling with pets, go to the country side, there are lots of gorgeous b&bs there with clean rooms and regular buses.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank EdinburghFuchsia
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Arrived to find it had closed down, owner said the manager had ran off and he wasnt aware we were booked in. said we could stay but he would need to clean up. what an under statement, place was filthy and everything was either covered in dust or muck. We were told that he had recently bought next door and was renovating both to turn it into a larger hotel. There are no locks on the doors and half of them do not even shut. The bath was filthy and although there was a hoover it was covered in so much dust it looked broken, it wasnt therefore I decided to hoover myself.
We were charged full price and reluctantly had to pay as could find no where else to stay. Basically just do not go to the hotel even if you have already paid deposit.

• Stayed: April 2010
4  Thank atom231
Reviewed 19 April 2010

Booked this hotel about a month ago and paid in full. Can't get in touch with anyone and the number I ring goes to answer phone after a few rings. Total con! DO NOT BOOK. !! I've lost £128. Reporting to holiday watchdog.

Stayed: April 2010
4  Thank EMERALD781
Reviewed 16 April 2010

I booked with them for the 24th April for a group of girls for my birthday, payed £100 pound to find they have done a runner with my money. Their not at the hotel anymore not answering the phone o emails, so im stuck with train tickets and i cant even find any where else at short notice. Wot kind of people do things like that knowing we were going for my birthday. I cant say wot i really want to say about these people on here.

• Stayed: April 2010
2  Thank xbabykins
Reviewed 12 April 2010

10 of us stayed at the hilton lodge in york we had bin made to feel very welcome from the moment the door opened. n we were told by the young man that they could put us up but they said they had just actually got the property bk ,after a very annoying matter for them,and they were shocked to find the state of how the lovely old victorian family home had been kept .so they said they were undergoing a mass cleaning opperation so they could keep that part open untill they join the two buildings together meaning next door as they informed me they had bought the building the plans i am excited for them n will definatley be returning to see the finished result ,as our stay there was second to none impecable service n polightness great ambiance n verry nice n fresh n clean lovely food n great people id reccomend to anybody ,thanks guys see u all soon .

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple