“Bit overpriced for what you get”

Beechwood Close Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Windermere, United Kingdom
“Bit overpriced for what you get”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We have just spent the night here celebrating a friends birthday. As 3 couples we all booked together yet couldn't have been further apart if we tried. As we checked in the hotel was busy and full off life, we were informed on check in that the wedding being held in the hotel had a disco which would finish at midnight(should have been informed about this prior to checking in). We then had to ask to get past the bride and groom in order to find our way to the bedroom. Very outdated and not 100% clean but a comfy bed. My friend had booked an upgrade being her birthday to be informed on check in that her room had been given to the bride and groom and they have been moved to a family room (perfect for a couple who hardly get away without children and wanted a bit of luxury). When we arrived back at the hotel at just after 11.30 the wedding had completely finished which was a bonus to us so we had a quiet drink in the bar before heading to bed, which was a comfortable night sleep. Breakfast was standard, normal greasy full cooked breakfast cold tea and toast and check out was very quick however I did have to find a member of staff to check us in and check us out. We left our car in the car park while we had a look round York. The Premier inn maybe would have been a better choice for us but we do like to give local businesses a chance and I am sorry to say I will not be returning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

From the moment I walked in the staff were very friendly and helpful. It only took around five minutes from me booking in to being in my room. The lovely lady on reception was very helpful and answered all my questions. The room was a single which was just the right size and had a nice en-suite. Everything was clean and tidy and although I was at the front of the hotel close to the main road it was nice and quiet. After a great night out with my friends I headed back to a nice relaxing sleep. I got up nice and early and headed down to a lovely breakfast with lovely service. If I am in York again I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights mid week. Very friendly, helpful staff, clean comfortable room - not a great view but that wasn't a problem. Had dinner on the first evening, my sea bass was very good and lovely dessert (banoffee sunday). Breakfast - good variety of choices and nicely cooked.
No problem with parking, space at hotel and only about 30 minute walk to centre of York.
We did have an unfortunate awakening on the second morning as the fire alarm went off at 6.30am - false alarm, took rather a long time to be turned off, but that's just one of those things.
Overall nice hotel, and I would recommend it for a short break.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline D
herts
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The location of the Hotel is only a 25 minute stroll to York Minster along one road very easy & a pleasant walk.If you drive there is ample parking ,We traveled by train and a taxi costs about £7 you could walk from the Station I guess in 30-40 minutes.The Hotel itself is a little dated but is clean & the bed comfortable.Coleen was on duty to check us in and serve the breakfast in the morning she is very good at her job and always has a smile. The breakfast was fairly standard but the Sausages tasted very cheap ( Only a minor problem ) There was not much Tea ,Coffee & Sugar in the room again not really a problem.We booked with KGB and had a deal with two nights B&B and one meal which I would say was good value for York.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Heswall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We wanted a two day break in York to take in a theatre visit and sightseeing. Booked KGB deal which included a 2 course meal first night to the value of £15 per head. Food was ok but the bacon-wrapping on my green beans was fatty and lamb a bit chewy and overdone. Thai fishcake was spongy and unexciting. At breakfast i had a dirty spoon and next morning my wife's spoon was dirty too. We were asked on arrival if we wanted a rear garden view room for an extra £15 per night which we took. The garden wasn't impressive but it meant a quieter room away from the A19. Facilities were fine and staff lovely and very helpful, but the place needs updating to cheer it up.Overall, it was adequate for our needs,and we didn't see the point in making a fuss. Free parking was plentiful although the hotel didnt seem full. Centre of York as a 15 minute walk or park and ride by bus.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WestmorlandMan
York
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I was part of a group of 60+ people out for lunch. We do this once a month and this is the first time we visited the restaurant at The Beechwood. We were given a menu with two options, gammon steak or nut roast. They both came with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, vegetables and 'chefs gravy' we waited an awfully long time for our table to be served, the table next to us had already finished! I had nut roast as I don't like pork. I got a very odd pile of crushed nuts with two white supposedly roast potatoes, one hard boiled potato, carrots and broccoli and one Yorkshire pudding that was cold and very hard, obviously made a long time before service. The gravy was about the size of a fifty pence piece. My friend had the gammon, which was pale and fatty, she couldn't eat any of it and said it wasn't gammon but cooked ham. We asked for some gravy and that was the only thing on the plate that was fairly nice. A cup of tea or coffee was included in the price of £7, and our table had to search for someone to bring ours, and the cup had hot water and a tea bag in it. Not what you would expect in a restaurant. I feel we were treated as old fogies who would put up with anything that was put in front of us. I know £7 is not a lot of money but there are lots of places that do a lovely meal for a fiver, and we would have paid more for a decent meal. I may be a pensioner but I refuse to be patronised in this way. Never again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank DaphneYork
Marton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Made to feel very welcome on arrival and throughout our time there. The room was a bit on the small side but was comfortable enough. On the down side the extractor fan in the bathroom was very noisy, on inspection this may be because it was full of dust. As for the breakfast, well I expected better from a Yorkshire hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank chris h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel Indigo York
#4 of 46 in York
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,145 reviews

Been to Beechwood Close Hotel? Share your experiences!