“3 days in York”

Ranked #1 of 3 Clifton B&B and Inns
Farnham, United Kingdom
“3 days in York”
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We booked the superior double room for three nights between the 6th and 9th December 2012.On arrival we were met by Graham who invited us in and showed us to our room. He spent some time explaining to us the about the B&B, our location in relation York and with lots of good advice on what to do in York. Graham advised us not to leave anything of value in the cars due to the time of year and crime rates.
The room is on the first floor overlooking the garden and the wildlife and not on the ground floor as expected. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. It was clean and cosy. There were tea and coffee makings although I would have preferred Nescafe coffee though. The en suit was a good size with clean towels. The shower though was nothing to write home about as it was very underpowered and you had to stand close to the wall to ensure you could use it. Perhaps consideration could be given to a power shower. The bed was very comfortable and a nice place to retire to after a long day in York.
Breakfast was good although it would have been nice to have fresh orange juice and the toast was everyday sliced bread not of the best quality, but my wife did ask for a varied menu on our last morning which was accommodated.
The Heathers is about a mile from the centre of York and it only takes 25 minutes to walk there. If you do not want to walk then catch the Green Line number 2 Park and Ride which will cost you £3.50 return. The bus stop is just 250 yards from the Heathers. If you need a taxi Graham will advise about the best companies to use.
In the evening you need to book early for a table in the centre of York. But like us if you do not want to go into the city then there is a pub close by called the Dormouse. We used it for the three nights we were there and had excellent meals in a warm welcoming place.
Graham has many a story to tell and his knowledge of the area is top class. We had a nice stay.

Room Tip: The superior double room
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank treepeople_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Hants
Reviewed 26 October 2012

My husband & I were planning a trip to York for my 65th birthday, & we found this place on the internet. I phoned direct, to book, & from the first, the vibes were great. When we arrived, (on the 15th October,) we were met like old friends, everything was explained about the locks etc, and we had a long chat with the landlord about attractions too, which was really informative. It is advertised as 4-star - It is far more than that - more like 20! Spotlessly clean, warm and cosy (& I'm not just talking about the room) and a real home from home. Wonderful place! The food was fresh & cooked to order, if you wanted any different, you only had to ask, nothing too much trouble. We had a minor medical emergency whilst there, & they were so kind and helpful, directing us to their own doctor etc, so everything was quickly sorted. Try getting that from Premier Inn! The Heathers is 5 minutes walk from the bus stop into York, & the bus ride is 15 minutes tops, so we were able to leave the car at 'home' when we weren't going further afield. Opposite the bus stop is a pub/restaurant (The Dormouse), where we had several really nice meals in nice surroundings. They even have wildlife in the back garden, which they are happy for you to come down at night to watch for, & as an owner of a new camera, I was a willing to try that too (I only caught next door's cat, but there's always next time!) Honestly, you couldn't ask for more with the Heathers, it ticks ALL the boxes and then some! We love York, and now we've found the PERFECT place to stay. We will definitely be back. Graham & Heather, thank you so much, your lovely home is a pure gem!!

Room Tip: Rooms are spotlessly clean & well maintained, with beautiful decor, tea/coffee facilities/TV in...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I ended up extending my stay at The Heathers due to their hospitality as i was waiting for my flat to be prepared as i just recently moved to York. This is a great B&B for those wanting to get out and visit York. Their breakfast hours accommodate someone wanting to get up, eat a good English Breakfast, and get out to a great start in your day in this beautiful city. Their rooms are cozy and quiet and contain enough room and amenities to keep you comfortable while resting up for your next days adventures.
By far, the most valuable asset to your stay would be to utilize the extensive knowledge of the hosts. Both Graham and Heather hold a vast knowledge of the city that they have been residing in for what i would guess, many years. Just listening to them provide details to not only myself but other guests as well, they really give you an appreciation of what a beautiful city York is and all of the things it contains for your enjoyment. From festivals to music, food to outdoors, York has it all, and Graham and Heather combined were an incredible resource in tailoring your trip to what you would ultimately like to see. I find myself still visiting their website events calendar for ideas for my next journey within this city, they seem to be almost endless.

If you have advanced notice that you are going to visit York, you might want to give the owners a heads up in what you would like to attend and it seems their drive to both accommodate their guests and self motivated interest in their own city, they would be more than happy to see what they can find that would make the best of your trip.

As for access to the City Centre, I have both walked it, taken the bus (the stop is right down the street) or caught a cab. All of them (especially walking) were an economical method of travel. It was nice walking by structures such as St. Peters School which is founded in 627 AD. Being from the United States, these were things that was truly difficult to believe how old they were.

This review might sound bias, but with all of the time that either Graham or Heather spent researching activities that would appeal to me in York, and ideas that would help me get on my feet from moving here, I could spend at least 1/10 that time for this review.

Thank you for helping me immediately identify that this is a beautiful city filled with just about anything you can think of. It seems you could do something different every day and never reach the end of things to do. Something im guessing both Graham and Heather have been performing since they've first started out in this city.

And I almost forgot. It was absolutely fantastic waking up, eating breakfast being able to watch from your seat, all of the visitors that you could see in their rear garden. The squirrels, Birds, the frequent Fox's, and that illusive hedgehog that i never got to see :(. What great company to start your day to.

Room Tip: There are several types of rooms so be sure that if you require an ensuite (bathroom in room) that y...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
newcastle
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Arrived on Friday evening (07/09/12) to be welcomed at the door and shown to our room, the shower, lock and TV were explained then we were left to settle into what was a very clean room with a side view from the building, the guest house itself is located about a mile from the city walls which cost about £6 in a taxi, if there are four of you like our group it is cheaper to get a taxi than get the bus (£2.20 per person) and you can get dropped off at the pub door or shop if you are on a shopping trip, the breakfasts are good quality with cereal, fruit and full English available, overall this was a very pleasant stay at a professionally run guest house.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Alnwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I had to stay in York for a week due to a family emergency. Unfortunatley I did not discover The Heathers until my last two nights. The preparation of the rooms and public areas was exceptional and attention to detail was apparant in every respect (including the brief on utlities and use of keys). I was made most welcome and the accomodation was first class. I cannot recommend this guest house high enough. This will be my first port of call for any future visits to York.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2012

host welcomes guests and offers suggestions for sightseeing etc
comfortable rooms

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We have stayed at The Heathers at least four times over the last few years and will return in 2013. We have always received a warm welcome and our hosts were most friendly. A lovely cooked breakfast is always accompanied by a natter with Graham and advice/suggestions on what to do and events in and around York. Our room is spacious and comfortable and overlooking the garden allowing us to view the birds and visiting fox. It is always a special place to stay and I would recommend it to any of my friends. Heather and Graham really make you feel at home. I'm looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the garden is lovely.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Premier Inn York North Hotel
The Principal York
The Principal York
#11 of 46 in York
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,119 reviews

Been to The Heathers Guest House? Share your experiences!