“Bit of a walk from town centre. Get a taxi!”

The Heathers Guest House
The Heathers Guest House
Ranked #1 of 3 Clifton B&B and Inns
“Bit of a walk from town centre. Get a taxi!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed here in July 2013 for a weekend to attend York horse races. We booked out 2 rooms. We travelled as a large family group with other family members staying in different places more central to town which we wouldve preferred. Our room was very small. However we did have our own seperate bathroom which was massive, bath and shower and it was spotless. The other room we had was larger however that faced out onto the main road which is very busy. Also had its own bathroom. I think the best rooms are those which face out back to the garden. Breakfast was nice. Although the deafening silence in the dining area is rather earie! A radio/music in background would be ideal. We made the mistake of walking home from town centre and its a very long walk. My advice get a taxi! York itself is definitely worth a visit. Beautiful city with lots of lovely bars and restaurants. Depending on the nature and length of your stay this may be ideal. However for a short city break i personally would stay more central next time. Didnt have much interaction with the owner. Didnt seem too interested in out party. A small patio set out the front of the house would also benefit this place. As you have no where to sit outside!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank jckay76

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

Nice house with sufficient parking. Clean, comfortable room. Nicely decorated. Host helpful, informative. Nearby bus service good. Taxis not expensive and frequent. Breakfast good. Really enjoyed Tay in York. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Central Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

My Wife and I have planned a 15 day visit to Northern England and Scotland. The first 3 days of the trip we spent at Heathers Guest House. We flew from Florida to Manchester, England and took the train to York. Upon arriving we took a taxi to the guest house. Cost was under 6 pounds. The guest house is just outside the city limits. We were met at the door by our host Graham. The exterior of the house is very nice and the grounds and back yard garden were very attractive. Graham gave us a excellent overview of the main events that we might like to see and places to go. He gave us a small map and pointed the places out. We used the city bus for all our travels. The pick up and drop off spot is very close to the house. The bus runs at least every 15 mins and stopped at all the main spots you would need in town. We have been to several B&B's but none of the host were as helpful or enjoyable to talk with as Graham. The breakfast was excellent. My only complaint was the mushrooms because I don't like them. The second morning the mushrooms were gone and my wife got plenty since she loves them. The food was hot and just prepared. I can't imagine a nicer breakfast. I wish they served dinner so we could have eaten there as well. The room was very clean, bed was firm and bathroom water was hot and plenty of it. I am typing this from the room's WiFi so anyone that says it doesn't work must have issues with their computer. It works fine. Although there were 4 rooms occupied we never heard any other people through the walls. Very quiet rooms. We had a front room and there was a little road noise in the morning but nothing to complain about.
There were plenty of informative books and pamphlets around the house to help you know what to see and do. I have to say that if I have the opportunity to return to York to visit I will most certainly will return here for my stay. We both were very happy to stay here and so much better than a hotel.

Room Tip: If you want to see the wildlife and have the best view ask for a room facing the back of the house.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

On arrival we had a warm and freindly greeting from Graham, who then showed us to our rooms and then was very patient in answering all our questions on the local history and best walks on York, even though we where five hours early for official checkin time.

Also noteworthy is that there is a plenty of safe car parking space in front of the house.

The hotel is easy access to York City Centre it is as simple as turn left from the drive way of The Heathers and walk straight to town centre about 15- 20 Mins.

We had a lovely front bedroom that was tastefully decorated in line with the age and character of house period, non of this pseudo Bauhaus design rubbish, we had a wonderful night's sleep and woke up refreshed for the days activities ahead.

The breakfast was bountiful and tasty, set in friendly comfortable dinning room overlooking a lovely long lawned garden.

Finally on the last day after breakfast Graham let me stay a little longer in the room so I could utilise the free wifi service to log into work to answers some urgent emails from my work.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

There is no way that this B & B is anywhere near a 4*, I'd say this is more like a 2*. No WiFI, tiny TV, tired room, door handles that are going to fall off. We arrived after spending a day exploring York, we were only going to be staying one day as we were going up to Scotland. We were showed to our room by the host, who we then couldn't get rid of. He decided that we were going out that evening and what we were doing. Without being asked he drew up a map and told us what time to leave and when to basically return. He actually stayed in our room over 20 minutes without being asked before we could evenually get rid of him. He even started to go on about trains, it was a nightmare! Then,before he left he made sure to tell me that I must'nt put pads down the toilet, no seriously, he did. But just incase you don't 'get it' he's put up a handwritten poem, eye level in the toilet to remind you, again.
Breakfast, where to start - I was dreading breakfast, I just couldn't wait to leave. We had a table infront of the back window, very nice, except the host could watch us from a side window from the kitchen which he did, constantly whilst he checked on us. It was rather creepy. There was no sound in the breakfast room, the silence was deafening and awful. The dishes and the room was tired and needed care and attention. The breakfast wasn't brilliant, the toast was cheap bread, however there was yogarts and cereal.
When we finished, and said, right, we're going, the host asked if we were going to pay him? I said we'd already paid - which we had, when we had made the booking he had taken payment via credit card over the phone, including the secuirity code - he said 'oh, some people like to pay cash instead' - bizarre, so he took our details AGAIN. Annoying.
York is a lovely place with lovely sites and plently of good shopping and resturants. There are plently of lovely places to stay at, I'm guessing this place doesn't get many returners. Stay elsewhere!!!!!

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, at least ask for the one with the toilet
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HeatherK148
Farnham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

We booked the superior double room for three nights between the 6th and 9th December 2012.On arrival we were met by Graham who invited us in and showed us to our room. He spent some time explaining to us the about the B&B, our location in relation York and with lots of good advice on what to do in York. Graham advised us not to leave anything of value in the cars due to the time of year and crime rates.
The room is on the first floor overlooking the garden and the wildlife and not on the ground floor as expected. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. It was clean and cosy. There were tea and coffee makings although I would have preferred Nescafe coffee though. The en suit was a good size with clean towels. The shower though was nothing to write home about as it was very underpowered and you had to stand close to the wall to ensure you could use it. Perhaps consideration could be given to a power shower. The bed was very comfortable and a nice place to retire to after a long day in York.
Breakfast was good although it would have been nice to have fresh orange juice and the toast was everyday sliced bread not of the best quality, but my wife did ask for a varied menu on our last morning which was accommodated.
The Heathers is about a mile from the centre of York and it only takes 25 minutes to walk there. If you do not want to walk then catch the Green Line number 2 Park and Ride which will cost you £3.50 return. The bus stop is just 250 yards from the Heathers. If you need a taxi Graham will advise about the best companies to use.
In the evening you need to book early for a table in the centre of York. But like us if you do not want to go into the city then there is a pub close by called the Dormouse. We used it for the three nights we were there and had excellent meals in a warm welcoming place.
Graham has many a story to tell and his knowledge of the area is top class. We had a nice stay.

Room Tip: The superior double room
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank treepeople_12
Hants
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

My husband & I were planning a trip to York for my 65th birthday, & we found this place on the internet. I phoned direct, to book, & from the first, the vibes were great. When we arrived, (on the 15th October,) we were met like old friends, everything was explained about the locks etc, and we had a long chat with the landlord about attractions too, which was really informative. It is advertised as 4-star - It is far more than that - more like 20! Spotlessly clean, warm and cosy (& I'm not just talking about the room) and a real home from home. Wonderful place! The food was fresh & cooked to order, if you wanted any different, you only had to ask, nothing too much trouble. We had a minor medical emergency whilst there, & they were so kind and helpful, directing us to their own doctor etc, so everything was quickly sorted. Try getting that from Premier Inn! The Heathers is 5 minutes walk from the bus stop into York, & the bus ride is 15 minutes tops, so we were able to leave the car at 'home' when we weren't going further afield. Opposite the bus stop is a pub/restaurant (The Dormouse), where we had several really nice meals in nice surroundings. They even have wildlife in the back garden, which they are happy for you to come down at night to watch for, & as an owner of a new camera, I was a willing to try that too (I only caught next door's cat, but there's always next time!) Honestly, you couldn't ask for more with the Heathers, it ticks ALL the boxes and then some! We love York, and now we've found the PERFECT place to stay. We will definitely be back. Graham & Heather, thank you so much, your lovely home is a pure gem!!

Room Tip: Rooms are spotlessly clean & well maintained, with beautiful decor, tea/coffee facilities/TV in...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Premier Inn York North Hotel
The Principal York
The Principal York
#11 of 45 in York
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,049 reviews

Been to The Heathers Guest House? Share your experiences!