“Vineyard tour and lunch”

Carr Taylor Vineyard
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Westfield
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our tour and lunch. The tour is fairly short in distance but enlivened by the humour and knowledge of our guide "David with the hat". Lunch was a salad with pate, pork pie (which was much better than most) and cheese and french bread. It is obviously a working vineyard and not smartened up to the eyeballs like some but everyone seems very happy to work there. This tour was a much appreciated present from friends.

1  Thank Lynette E
"no pressure to buy"
"nice wine"
"a family run business"

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a voucher and we saw the views of Carr Taylor had good reviews but I don't know if I went to the same place. People say the place is tired. I say it look bloody knackered in a dirty yard and the building inside did not look healthy or hygienic DAVID the guide is more interested in running down to other companies and the French we tasted some of the wines and personally I do not like them but the wife like one or two of them. The price for the wine was to dear when you can get a lot better wine a lot cheaper. With the voucher we had lunch lunch was very good with a glass wine that I did not drink they say a bad wine is good for cooking but I wouldn't use this one for cooking. As I do not want to ruin the food we went on a vineyard tour on the Isle of Wight it a lot smaller place but it was a lot better place and you can drink the wine now I know why Carr Taylor do not put the wine shops i'm glad I did not pay for the tour as we was given a voucher for the gift in case I will be cheated

1  Thank volvofl7
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Yes, we had a voucher and went on the tour. Very interesting and the guide was quite funny as well as being knowledgeable. Wine was OK, I have tasted better English wines but it was OK. Be prepared, it is a little run down in portacabins and sheds. The carpets are thredbare. This is not a high class place, but it has a charm and the guide is good. Another warning: the guide includes some sexist jokes that may offend some poeple - we were not offended but some may be.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Let's face it 99% of the visitors on this tour either had a voucher or deal of some sort; I'd bet virtually nobody pays the full price themselves. As it is you get about an hour tour, which amounts to a few views over the vineyards with some chat about the varieties and growing methods, an overview of the bottling and other equipment and a talk on how the sparkling wine is made followed by a tasting of some of the products.

The wine is OK, but if it's wine you are after then the prices are a tad high for blends of somewhat obscure varietals. The lunch is a buffet style Ploughmans and so is as generous as you want. Even so at the height of summer I might have expected some strawberries as well.

So, for a deeply discounted day out you bought or as a gift it's OK, but the vineyard isn't the smartest (you'll have to travel a bit, maybe abroad for that), the wine isn't cheap but it's OK, and the food isn't exceptional.

We were pleaded enough to have received the tour as a gift, but had we paid full price I would have felt a bit short changed.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 July 2014

It was an absolute delight to take this walking tour around a working vineyard. It was like being transported back in time walking around the vines and through the buildings where the production and bottling takes place.

Our tour guide was "David With The Hat" and he made this tour so interesting imparting his knowledge and funny little stories. He made us all feel so welcome, it was almost like he was showing us around his own pride and joy!

The "tasting" of wines was very informative and it really has persuaded me to start buying English wine rather than imported. The sparkling wine is better than French Champagne any day of the week!! (Sorry if you're French)

We had a lunch booked at the vineyard on this tour and there was so much food that if you had a really good appetite you still wouldn't have run out of food. Delicious cheeses, pates, salads and French bread were washed down with the magnificent wines produced on site.

The vineyard shop is well stock not only with wine but superb conserves and many other edible delights.

Please go and enjoy the hospitality of this venue/attraction - you won't regret it.

1  Thank joy l