“wonderful welcome!”

The Bay Horse Inn
wales
“wonderful welcome!”
Reviewed 15 July 2011

made a very last minute booking & was so glad I had. the bedrooms are basic but clean and comfortable (the bathroom wasn't elegant, but functional & I was told that they are all being renovated) However, all the staff were welcoming & the food was great. The village is picturesque and there are plenty of pleasant walks in the area. It's a mile from a train station with regular trains to Harrogate & York so you an get around without the car.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I cant understand the mentality of some of the people on here who have written negative comments.
I have just stayed one night recently in the Bay Horse but was made to feel very welcome by the landlady and was immediately enchanted by both the pub and village. I was told that the landlady has only been in residence about 18months but from what I saw she is trying to fit in with what people actually want and in how many hotels/inns could you have your breakfast at 10.30am? So the drain to the shower was blocked!. It happens! I for one will be returning again with the dog which was also made very welcome. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank William099
Huddersfield
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I stayed just one night at the Bay Horse Inn, and it was enough. The room was a disappointment. It was very shabby looking with curtains coming off their track, a wardrobe whose position was very awkward to use, and a bathroom that, besides being a throwback to the 1970's, left me standing in 4" of water while showering due to a clogged drain. I was appreciative of the crisp, clean bedding and the complimentary soaps, but the towels were more suitable to a Lilliputian. The young man at the bar was very helpful, when I discovered the lack of a hairdryer after checking in, but I was left waiting in the bar for 15 minutes while one was located.

I had requested breakfast at 7:00, but was informed before arrival that this could not be a hot meal since breakfast did not start until 7:30. It was agreed that I would be able to have a Continental breakfast instead. I did not expect the substitution of an English breakfast (included in the £75.00) to consist of a box of cereal and cold toast. As it transpired, fresh fruit did not appear until I was leaving.

It is no longer appropriate to claim that the standard of a room should be judged by the venue. If an inn is charging hotel rates, then there is a level of service that is expected. I will not be returning to this tired pub anytime soon.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank AmericanPat
bayhorseinn, Owner at The Bay Horse Inn, responded to this review, 28 June 2011
I am sorry our service did not meet this guest's expectations, on this occasion.
We are a small, family-run country inn, and as such, are only able to provide a limited service in the early hours of the morning. We were happy to provide a wake-up knock at 6am, as requested, and a light breakfast at 7am of juice, cereal, tea/coffee and fresh fruit.
The price charged was for a booking for 2 people, however, only one person arrived to check in at around 11/11.30pm. Had we been advised of a change to the booking in accordance with our cancellation policy, we would have, of course, reduced the rate to our single occupancy rate of £55.
We do our best to fulfill our guests needs whenever possible. I apologise for the short delay in providing a hairdryer but I am pleased this guest found my staff to be helpful.
We are currently upgrading all our bathrooms, and provide standard size bath/handtowels for our guests. We were unaware of any problems with the shower waste, and would have been happy to offer an alternative room at the time.
Again, I am sorry we were not able to meet this guest's needs and perhaps she would have been happier if staying closer to her early appointment the next day?
redcar
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Just returned from a lovely 2 day New Year break.The 3 rooms we had were all immaculate and they were lovley and warm.We had a brilliant New Years eve meal with real ales,entertainment and a piper at midnight.The locals made us feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble for the landlord and landlady.All food is sourced from local products and the local cured ham and sausages served are to die for.I believe that if you are nice to people they are nice back and so cant fault the service and staff.God bless have a good 2011.we'll be back in the spring for a weekend as it's so near York and then back to the real ales and superb hospitality.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mrsdRedcar
bayhorseinn, Owner at The Bay Horse Inn, responded to this review, 4 January 2011
Thank you for your lovely comments and taking the time to post your review. I look forward to your next visit.
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I stayed one night, choosing the Bay Horse because of its proximity to where I was working and also because I had eaten there on a previous occasion.
The booking process was a little haphazard - I enquired by email and it took some time to get a response.
I arrived on a Sunday evening, and it was clear that the pub was shut. Nevertheless I was made very welcome and they offered to cook me some food. Plain ham, eggs and chips, but very welcome and well cooked and presented.
The room was a bit basic, but hey, this is a pub and not a hotel! Everything was clean, though the bathroom looked as though it could do with an upgrade [can you buy an avocado suite nowadays?].
The bed was comfortable and I slept well.
The following morning I went for breakfast at the time I had agreed the previous evening. The breakfast was ready and was every bit as good as in many hotels I have stayed in. Cereal and juice were available: a basket of fruit was put on my table. I had a cooked breakfast which arrived promptly, as did toast and conserves.

Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Booked a room at the Bay Horse Inn for a romantic, peaceful weekend. Arrived on Friday evening, to a dusty, mouldy and dingy room. Looked as though the room had not been cleaned for some time. The bathroom light did not work. Mould around the shower area and also in the bedroom.
We did eat in the pub to try and make the most of it.......the food was reasonable but was spoilt by the loud unsavoury language of two local girls, while there were children also eating. We arranged breakfast for the next morning before going to bed. Actually had a good nights sleep having decided we would leave after breakfast the next morning.
Went for breakfast at 8.30am to find the cleaner trying to wake the landlady! At this point we decided enough was enough and left.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
bayhorseinn, Owner at The Bay Horse Inn, responded to this review, 2 September 2010
I am very sorry these guests did not enjoy their stay at The Bay Horse, and we did not meet their expectations.
To respond to the comments made;
our rooms are cleaned daily, however, it is possible that over the busy bank holiday weekend, we may have missed replacing the bathroom lightbulb. Having recently taken over the pub, we are working through a programme of improvements and upgrading. This will include improvements to the en-suite bathrooms in some of our rooms, this winter. This is reflected in our room rates.
I apologise for any distress caused by the language used by some customers, on this occasion. The Bay Horse is a traditional village pub, usually frequented by our staying guests and normally very charming and friendly locals.
I'm afraid there must have been some miscommunication in the morning as I was busy cooking breakfast for our other guests from 8am onwards, not having a lie-in!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Green Hammerton
Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel
Best Western Burn Hall Hotel
The Bridge Hotel and Spa
Holiday Inn Express York

Been to The Bay Horse Inn? Share your experiences!