“Wrongly accused !!!!!”

The Bay Horse Inn
Bridlington
“Wrongly accused !!!!!”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We have just stayed overnight at The Bay Horse, along with two other couples that we were having a Christmas get together with, I must say that the pub had a nice atmosphere, the food was lovely, & the landlady went out of her way to accommodate us with all our dietary requirements. We asked during the evening if they had any Christmas music, once again she was very obliging. We had a lovely evening, the drink was flowing, we were enjoying a good laugh, & later in the evening had a bit of a sing. We went to bed at around 12.30am. We hadn't been in bed very long when a lot of noise started, people laughing & talking very loudly, which would have been ok for a short while, but the noise was still keeping me awake at 4.45am......not happy !!!! The next morning, it appeared quite a few people had been kept awake by the noise, & a few had been to the landlady to complain. We ate breakfast, then went to sit in a comfy seat to just chat before settling the bill....at this point the landlady came over to us & said,.....A few of the guests have been complaining about noise last night, we thought she was going to say, I'm very sorry if it kept you awake, but instead said, & it must be you guys !!!!!
Initially I think I was in shock, I couldn't believe my ears.....We all started to protest our innocence, but you could tell by her whole stance, & the look on her face, she had made her mind up, & whatever we said she wasn't going to change it. She said because there was a few of us, she ASSUMED we had all gone back to one room, so it had to be us !!!!
Well let me tell the landlady.......She was wrong on every count !!!! One of us went to bed at 11.00pm feeling very unwell, another 2 left 1 hour later, leaving 3 of us there, we went to bed about 15 mins later, so how she thought we had all gone to one room I don't know.
We are all ( apart from 1 ) in our mid to late fifties, are decent people, & are certainly not the kind of people that would do such a thing !!!! And certainly don't appreciate being accused of i!!!!t, especially as she didn't have any facts, she just put 2 & 2 together & came up with 5 We might have been laughing loudly during the evening, & had a sing song at the end, none of which is against the law, & certainly doesn't make us bad people. Well apart from just shooting herself in the foot, because now not only has she got a bad review, we certainly wouldn't go back again ( which is a shame ), but she has just spoilt what was a lovely weekend !!!!
Thank you Mrs Landlady....Merry Christmas X

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Angela H
stella19NorthYorks, Owner at The Bay Horse Inn, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for your comments, and taking a balanced view of your stay, which certainly had it's ups and downs. I am pleased you enjoyed your evening, and appreciated our hospitality. As for your disturbed sleep and feeling accused, I can only apologise once again.

The disturbance and noise in the early hours- I was told- by some guests at breakfast, came, in part, from the upstairs rooms. The first guest to complain was staying in one of just 3 rooms upstairs. I checked with guests staying in a second upstairs room- a couple who had been staying for a few days- and established they had also been disturbed. The remaining upstairs room was one of three rooms occupied by your group. As I think I said at the time, perhaps the noise appeared to come from upstairs, by a quirk of layout, but in fact came from a different direction.
Having been made aware of the situation by guests who were booked to stay another night, I was very keen to reassure them that I would look into and resolve the problem.
It is extremely rare for us to experience anything like this, and I wish I had been made aware of the problem at the time, so I could have easily identified the cause,and dealt with it quickly and discreetly.
I am so sorry you feel your visit was marred by this incident, and do genuinely wish you all a Merry Christmas.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ceres, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Great stop off point , convenient for Motorway and also for visiting York .
Warm village pub atmosphere combined with attractive en suite rooms and excellent bar and restaurant service,
Family run business makes you feel very welcome .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

stella19NorthYorks, Owner at The Bay Horse Inn, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your positive comments- I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Kent
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Looking for a place to eat on way to Wetherby, we saw the sign and remembered eating there many years ago. The place has undergone some refurbishment, for the better, since last visit but as it was October and cold when we visited in the evening would have appreciated some form of heating. Sitting there with coats on and having to pay for the privilege of eating did take the shine off the evening. Staff helpful. Place did not seem over friendly but that could have been because there were not many people there. It could have done with some very low key mood music - personal taste would have been modern jazz - but not enough to drown out conversation as happens in quite a few places. Food good, we had the beef casserole, the portions were generous so did not need a dessert but finished with coffee. Feel the owners are doing their best but the place just lacks something ! We would go back and see what has happened since our last visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
stella19NorthYorks, Owner at The Bay Horse Inn, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Thank you for your comments, which I have been very interested to read. I can only apologise for your being cold. I have had the central heating on for quite a few weeks now, and there are some tables which are next to radiators, which would have been warmer for you. As we are now into winter, we have the wood burner lit too, so I am sure you would be comfortable if you come again. I am so pleased you enjoyed your meals- I assume your casserole was our slow-cooked brisket in Guinness- and felt you had good value for money.
As to background music, this is such a tricky one. We do have music on quite often, but are also concious of our staying guests who use the pub internet to work, or are just enjoying the peace of the countryside after a busy day.
Preston
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

After trip advisors reviews of this pub and after looking at their website, we decided to have our evening meal here as we were stopping locally. One of the reasons we went was because on the pubs website it stated 3 courses for £12 during the week.
When we arrived, we were told that this was no longer applicable and the food menu was written on a blackboard in the bar rather than on printed menus.
There was a rather long wait between ordering and being served as it appeared that the chef was waiting till he had a few orders, as a party who came a while after us got served food at the same time.
When the food did eventually turn up, it was good and it was clearly homemade.
We did feel that the portion sizes were small in relation to the price.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments- a very timely reminder for me to update my website content.
We will be offering our set meal deal once again, in the New Year, but currently have our usual menus for lunch and dinner with main courses from just £7.95, supplemented by blackboard specials, and Christmas 3 course menu for £16 available from December 13th.
I am pleased you enjoyed your food, and you a quite right- everything is homemade with the majority of our meat and vegetables coming from the farm down the road. As we cook everything to order, some dishes can take longer than others to cook, so even though other tables arrived after you, their order may have taken less time to cook., depending on what they had ordered. We are always happy to advise on how long your food is likely to be, and also on which dishes to choose if you are looking for a hearty meal or something a little lighter. Our gammon steaks are generally huge, as is the beer-battered haddock and chips so if you call in again, please ask for me and I will do my best to ensure you are not disappointed.
Warwick
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Accommodated 7 people really well moving others! Good country pub atmosphere and chatty hosts. Had to wait a long time for food - an hour but was another big party in front of us. Nothing really wrong with the food, average pub food and did the job

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments, which are much appreciated. Your visit coincided with quite a large party booking, which did delay your order a little, so I do apologise. Our usual selection of perhaps more interesting blackboard specials was a bit depleted too, by our party booking.
Thank you again for your comments and I hope you will call in again in the future.
Whitby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My wife and I called in for lunch on Wednesday after seeing signs on the A59. The landlord was not very welcoming however the rest of the staff were friendly and helpful. A good choice of meals on offer. We both ordered Bay Horse Burgers that came with real chips! Good sized portions and reasonable quality and value for money. It was very quiet however (only two other couples) and a bit chilly with not much atmosphere. Some refurbishment going on outside to the front of the pub. Will probably return if travelling on the A59 again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments, and I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed our food. You are quite correct- we peel, cut, blanch and fry potatoes by hand, to make our chips, and your burgers are Tancred Farm beef with their own pancetta on top.
Our new signage and some exterior painting is now complete, landlord doing what he does best and back in the cellar, so hope we can welcome you back soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I stayed at this pub for 2 nights and was happy overall with the accommodation which was adequate for my needs. However my only criticism is that my nights were disturbed by a car in the car park. The car had an excessively loud exhaust and would pull up around 10pm and sit with its engine running and occasionally revving for at least half an hour. Eventually it would leave but only to return even later at night to further disturb my sleep. I don't think the driver was staying at pub, I suspect it was a local chav.
The landlady should not tolerate this sort of noise nuisance out of hours especially as she has paying guests that expect to sleep at night.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jamie S
Thank you for drawing this to my attention- I knew exactly who the culprit was. He had been doing this elsewhere in the village, and I did not realise had moved to our car park.
Before I could catch up with him, you will be pleased to hear, he lost his driving licence.
Serendipity, I feel!
Mercure Wetherby
Mercure Wetherby
#3 of 3 in Wetherby
Holiday Inn Express York

Been to The Bay Horse Inn? Share your experiences!