All reviews the pub curry dishes christmas get together super host lovely breakfast in the morning friendly bar staff lovely traditional pub breakfast sausage choice of real ales excellent curry scampi and chips specials board excellent menu early night beer garden greene king small things
Reviewed 18 December 2013

lovely room, very good food...I had the best steak I'd had in ages and we enjoyed the full English which kept us going until tea time! excellent value for money, friendly staff, very handy for York without the huge expense.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stayed on the 15/12/2013 for 1 night there was 6 of us. Well all I can say is it is a great place to stay. The rooms were clean and comfortable. It's situated right near the centre with out all the noise. Oh and the owner knows how to do a mean breakfast! All in all it was a really good place to stay and we won't hesitate to stay there again :-)

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Nicola H
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I would like to support the comments of my fellow traveller. We had a reasonably enjoyable stay at this pub, although I have to say I thought the food was only average. I also could not believe it when the landlady accused us of causing a disturbance during the night. As my friend said, we had gone to bed about 12.30am, to be woken at about 4.30am by shouting, laughing and someone causing a commotion. We were one of the guests who had been disturbed, not the culprit!!! The landlady should get the facts straight before accusing innocent paying guests! Her answer to this was she has to ask everyone about the incident, but she didn't ask us - her words were "it had to be you guys". Would not stay here again!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank K H
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We have just stayed overnight at The Bay Horse, along with two other couples that we were having a Christmas get together with, I must say that the pub had a nice atmosphere, the food was lovely, & the landlady went out of her way to accommodate us with all our dietary requirements. We asked during the evening if they had any Christmas music, once again she was very obliging. We had a lovely evening, the drink was flowing, we were enjoying a good laugh, & later in the evening had a bit of a sing. We went to bed at around 12.30am. We hadn't been in bed very long when a lot of noise started, people laughing & talking very loudly, which would have been ok for a short while, but the noise was still keeping me awake at 4.45am......not happy !!!! The next morning, it appeared quite a few people had been kept awake by the noise, & a few had been to the landlady to complain. We ate breakfast, then went to sit in a comfy seat to just chat before settling the bill....at this point the landlady came over to us & said,.....A few of the guests have been complaining about noise last night, we thought she was going to say, I'm very sorry if it kept you awake, but instead said, & it must be you guys !!!!!
Initially I think I was in shock, I couldn't believe my ears.....We all started to protest our innocence, but you could tell by her whole stance, & the look on her face, she had made her mind up, & whatever we said she wasn't going to change it. She said because there was a few of us, she ASSUMED we had all gone back to one room, so it had to be us !!!!
Well let me tell the landlady.......She was wrong on every count !!!! One of us went to bed at 11.00pm feeling very unwell, another 2 left 1 hour later, leaving 3 of us there, we went to bed about 15 mins later, so how she thought we had all gone to one room I don't know.
We are all ( apart from 1 ) in our mid to late fifties, are decent people, & are certainly not the kind of people that would do such a thing !!!! And certainly don't appreciate being accused of i!!!!t, especially as she didn't have any facts, she just put 2 & 2 together & came up with 5 We might have been laughing loudly during the evening, & had a sing song at the end, none of which is against the law, & certainly doesn't make us bad people. Well apart from just shooting herself in the foot, because now not only has she got a bad review, we certainly wouldn't go back again ( which is a shame ), but she has just spoilt what was a lovely weekend !!!!
Thank you Mrs Landlady....Merry Christmas X

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Angela H
stella19NorthYorks, Owner at The Bay Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for your comments, and taking a balanced view of your stay, which certainly had it's ups and downs. I am pleased you enjoyed your evening, and appreciated our hospitality. As for your disturbed sleep and feeling accused, I can only apologise once again.

The disturbance and noise in the early hours- I was told- by some guests at breakfast, came, in part, from the upstairs rooms. The first guest to complain was staying in one of just 3 rooms upstairs. I checked with guests staying in a second upstairs room- a couple who had been staying for a few days- and established they had also been disturbed. The remaining upstairs room was one of three rooms occupied by your group. As I think I said at the time, perhaps the noise appeared to come from upstairs, by a quirk of layout, but in fact came from a different direction.
Having been made aware of the situation by guests who were booked to stay another night, I was very keen to reassure them that I would look into and resolve the problem.
It is extremely rare for us to experience anything like this, and I wish I had been made aware of the problem at the time, so I could have easily identified the cause,and dealt with it quickly and discreetly.
I am so sorry you feel your visit was marred by this incident, and do genuinely wish you all a Merry Christmas.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Great stop off point , convenient for Motorway and also for visiting York .
Warm village pub atmosphere combined with attractive en suite rooms and excellent bar and restaurant service,
Family run business makes you feel very welcome .

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
stella19NorthYorks, Owner at The Bay Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for your positive comments- I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay.