“Thank you Bay Horse”
Review of The Bay Horse Inn

The Bay Horse Inn
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We needed a venue between York and Harrogate for our family of nine people aged from 20 to 95 on a Saturday just before Christmas and we needed the table for the whole evening since two of us were arriving in York by train from London straight after a flight from Australia, so the time we could all arrive was uncertain. In addition one of our number aged 93 has very precise dietary allergies. Another aged 95 is very deaf and we needed a quiet area away from background noise. So we must have been a very demanding group to accommodate. Thank you for being so attentive throughout, for your helpful preliminary emailings about the menus, and for the actual meal. The food was exactly what we wanted, good Yorkshire food with good ingredients (and plenty of it in spite of other postings). The waitress was very friendly and attentive and there was even a friendly dog in the bar. Could not believe the price - in a good way. Every one very happy, thank you

Room Tip: We did not stay the night so cannot comment about the rooms or breakfast. I am giving it 5 stars for...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CHP_Atkinson
stella19NorthYorks, Owner at The Bay Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments and taking the time to pass them on. We do our best to accommodate the wide variety of customers and guests who come through our doors, and enjoy the opportunity to meet such interesting people.
I have to say also how marvellous to see such a diverse range of ages, from all over the place getting together and catching up.
I do hope we see you again sometime in the future.
Stella

Reviewed 18 December 2013

lovely room, very good food...I had the best steak I'd had in ages and we enjoyed the full English which kept us going until tea time! excellent value for money, friendly staff, very handy for York without the huge expense.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stayed on the 15/12/2013 for 1 night there was 6 of us. Well all I can say is it is a great place to stay. The rooms were clean and comfortable. It's situated right near the centre with out all the noise. Oh and the owner knows how to do a mean breakfast! All in all it was a really good place to stay and we won't hesitate to stay there again :-)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nicola H
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I would like to support the comments of my fellow traveller. We had a reasonably enjoyable stay at this pub, although I have to say I thought the food was only average. I also could not believe it when the landlady accused us of causing a disturbance during the night. As my friend said, we had gone to bed about 12.30am, to be woken at about 4.30am by shouting, laughing and someone causing a commotion. We were one of the guests who had been disturbed, not the culprit!!! The landlady should get the facts straight before accusing innocent paying guests! Her answer to this was she has to ask everyone about the incident, but she didn't ask us - her words were "it had to be you guys". Would not stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank K H
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We have just stayed overnight at The Bay Horse, along with two other couples that we were having a Christmas get together with, I must say that the pub had a nice atmosphere, the food was lovely, & the landlady went out of her way to accommodate us with all our dietary requirements. We asked during the evening if they had any Christmas music, once again she was very obliging. We had a lovely evening, the drink was flowing, we were enjoying a good laugh, & later in the evening had a bit of a sing. We went to bed at around 12.30am. We hadn't been in bed very long when a lot of noise started, people laughing & talking very loudly, which would have been ok for a short while, but the noise was still keeping me awake at 4.45am......not happy !!!! The next morning, it appeared quite a few people had been kept awake by the noise, & a few had been to the landlady to complain. We ate breakfast, then went to sit in a comfy seat to just chat before settling the bill....at this point the landlady came over to us & said,.....A few of the guests have been complaining about noise last night, we thought she was going to say, I'm very sorry if it kept you awake, but instead said, & it must be you guys !!!!!
Initially I think I was in shock, I couldn't believe my ears.....We all started to protest our innocence, but you could tell by her whole stance, & the look on her face, she had made her mind up, & whatever we said she wasn't going to change it. She said because there was a few of us, she ASSUMED we had all gone back to one room, so it had to be us !!!!
Well let me tell the landlady.......She was wrong on every count !!!! One of us went to bed at 11.00pm feeling very unwell, another 2 left 1 hour later, leaving 3 of us there, we went to bed about 15 mins later, so how she thought we had all gone to one room I don't know.
We are all ( apart from 1 ) in our mid to late fifties, are decent people, & are certainly not the kind of people that would do such a thing !!!! And certainly don't appreciate being accused of i!!!!t, especially as she didn't have any facts, she just put 2 & 2 together & came up with 5 We might have been laughing loudly during the evening, & had a sing song at the end, none of which is against the law, & certainly doesn't make us bad people. Well apart from just shooting herself in the foot, because now not only has she got a bad review, we certainly wouldn't go back again ( which is a shame ), but she has just spoilt what was a lovely weekend !!!!
Thank you Mrs Landlady....Merry Christmas X

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angela H
stella19NorthYorks, Owner at The Bay Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for your comments, and taking a balanced view of your stay, which certainly had it's ups and downs. I am pleased you enjoyed your evening, and appreciated our hospitality. As for your disturbed sleep and feeling accused, I can only apologise once again.

The disturbance and noise in the early hours- I was told- by some guests at breakfast, came, in part, from the upstairs rooms. The first guest to complain was staying in one of just 3 rooms upstairs. I checked with guests staying in a second upstairs room- a couple who had been staying for a few days- and established they had also been disturbed. The remaining upstairs room was one of three rooms occupied by your group. As I think I said at the time, perhaps the noise appeared to come from upstairs, by a quirk of layout, but in fact came from a different direction.
Having been made aware of the situation by guests who were booked to stay another night, I was very keen to reassure them that I would look into and resolve the problem.
It is extremely rare for us to experience anything like this, and I wish I had been made aware of the problem at the time, so I could have easily identified the cause,and dealt with it quickly and discreetly.
I am so sorry you feel your visit was marred by this incident, and do genuinely wish you all a Merry Christmas.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Great stop off point , convenient for Motorway and also for visiting York .
Warm village pub atmosphere combined with attractive en suite rooms and excellent bar and restaurant service,
Family run business makes you feel very welcome .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your positive comments- I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Looking for a place to eat on way to Wetherby, we saw the sign and remembered eating there many years ago. The place has undergone some refurbishment, for the better, since last visit but as it was October and cold when we visited in the evening would have appreciated some form of heating. Sitting there with coats on and having to pay for the privilege of eating did take the shine off the evening. Staff helpful. Place did not seem over friendly but that could have been because there were not many people there. It could have done with some very low key mood music - personal taste would have been modern jazz - but not enough to drown out conversation as happens in quite a few places. Food good, we had the beef casserole, the portions were generous so did not need a dessert but finished with coffee. Feel the owners are doing their best but the place just lacks something ! We would go back and see what has happened since our last visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
stella19NorthYorks, Owner at The Bay Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Thank you for your comments, which I have been very interested to read. I can only apologise for your being cold. I have had the central heating on for quite a few weeks now, and there are some tables which are next to radiators, which would have been warmer for you. As we are now into winter, we have the wood burner lit too, so I am sure you would be comfortable if you come again. I am so pleased you enjoyed your meals- I assume your casserole was our slow-cooked brisket in Guinness- and felt you had good value for money.
As to background music, this is such a tricky one. We do have music on quite often, but are also concious of our staying guests who use the pub internet to work, or are just enjoying the peace of the countryside after a busy day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Green Hammerton
2 mi away
Thistledown House B&B
Thistledown House B&B
#1 of 2 in Green Hammerton

Been to The Bay Horse Inn? Share your experiences!