“Not all good”
Review of Llangoed Hall

Llangoed Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llyswen
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed here mid Feb to celebrate Wedding Anniversary, enjoyed stay although had major power cut, no heating,had to dress for dinner in the dark,unable to wash/shower/bath as no water,hotel does not have generator??? Overcharged on bill,which resulted in angry discussion with manager Mr [--],very disappointed in his attitude will not stay here again.May be 4/5 star hotel but not 4/5 star manager.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Vivienne T

Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife and I were very generously given a night at Llangoed Hall by my mother in law, she had made the booking for us for bed and breakfast. We were very much looking forward to the whole experience largely due to the other reviews we had seen both on Tripadvisor and in other forms of literature, so much so that my wife went on to book us a table in the restaurant for the evening of our stay. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very helpfull member of staff who kindly took our luggage and showed us to our room. The decor was much as we expected and nice and clean, spacious and the bed was comfy enough however you would expect all of these things from an establishment marketing itself in the way that Llangoed Hall is. There was water and other cold drinks in the room along with complimentary sherry however there was no Tea and Coffee facilities, call me old fashioned but I like tea and coffee in my room without having to spend £4 per cup. There was mention in the blurb that is put in the folder in the rooms about Llangoed not wanting a bar but operating a 'Butler service' for drinks however my wife and i found this very misleading and were under the impression that this would just be classed as room service and therefore incur an extra £5 charge, per tray, for the privilege of having it in your room, I personally think £4 for a cup of tea or coffee is quite enough already. Also when my wife booked for the evening meal she was not told of the dress code that they operate in the restaurant, we only found out this information when we entered our room and read the letter left on the desk, my wife was then concerned that the attire she had brought with her was not suitable, in my opinion if there is a dress code this should be made very apparent at the time of booking. It is also obvious from the kind of place that Llangoed is and is trying hard to be that you would not bring shell suits and trainers to dine in, so is there any need to operate dress codes? surely to create a nice relaxed experience you can trust the clientele that a place like Llangoed is going to attract to dress appropriately for such an occasion.

At this stage we decided to venture down for a beverage, I would say that whilst the building is very impressive and has lots of nice things on the wall there is almost no atmosphere, this creates for an almost awkward silence something we would again feel at breakfast. Whilst we had our drinks my wife asked to view the evening menu.......oh how glad we are that we did. My wife and I enjoy good food, we will and have traveled a long way to experience it, we have organised short breaks around visiting establishments such as Raymond Blancs La Manoir in Oxfordshire or Tom Kerridges Hand and Flower in Marlow, we don't mind paying very good money for very good food which is what you would expect from the two Michelin star establishments like those mentioned, we are very fortunate to live not far from The Checkers in Montgomery, which has one star........In my opinion the prices that Llangoed Hall are charging for their cuisine is too much, as far as I am aware they do not have a Michelin star, yet there set taster menu is as expensive as the one that was enjoyed by my wife and I when we visited La Manoir at £125, there is also no sample menu to peruse on their website and no indication of the price of the dishes, I understand that the menu will be seasonal and constantly changing just like any other top class restaurant but that does not stop other establishments putting this on their websites for customers to view, here is food for thought I will be going to The Checkers in Montgomery (who have 1 star) this weekend, the last time I went and enjoyed a wonderfully cooked fillet steak with delightful seasonal accompaniments it was £28 if I wanted to enjoy a fillet steak at Llangoed I would be staring down the barrel of £42, I am unable to say if the fillet steak at Llangoed is worth this 2 star price tag as after looking at the menu my wife and i decided to cancel our reservation and head out in search of much more down to earth fare on this occassion which i am pleased to say we did, and after we had had our breakfast the next morning we were even more pleased!!

So this brings me on to my only dining experience at Llangoed, Breakfast. Upon going down stairs there was not a sole around and no indication of where breakfast was being served or any signage to point you in the right direction, these are all the little attentions to detail that Llangoed lacks, if you charge what they are charging and have the aspirations that they clearly have then you have to come up to muster on these things. We finally came across a member of staff who pointed us to a table, we were asked if we would like a tea or coffee and then asked if we would also like a fruit juice, I requested Orange......not very exotic and not that much to ask either....I didn't think, apparently they had run out of the very popular orange juice, I found this quite hard to comprehend as the were only 6 other diners at the time and during our brief stay I had not seen any buses arrive!! I know this is not the end of the world but again I go back to the prices that Llangoed Hall charge and I would expect as a paying customer to have my wants and needs met seamlessly. The breakfast itself was largely forgettable I have to say, I opted for the Welsh Breakfast and my wife went for Kippers. The welsh breakfast was largely over cooked, I think the half piece of black pudding was carbon dated and we wont mention the bacon!! Nice sausage good tomato and the duck egg was poached very well. Because I am a man I also tried my wife's kippers and as someone who has kippers quite regularly at home I would say that they were over cooked, we also requested brown seeded toast which never turned up......maybe they had run out of that too. There was also absolutely no atmosphere during the course of breakfast and you could have heard a pin drop, in fact the only thing that could be heard was the staff in the kitchen.

Which leads on to our final experience before leaving the bill. As this had been bought for us as a gift we were not expecting to have to pay for anything other then anything we had had outside of bed and breakfast, alas no they had no record of my mother in laws details for payment which resulted in my wife having to stump up for our stay and then getting her mother to reimburse her, again this goes back to the attention to detail that just seems to be lacking in every department, unfortunately when you are charging what Llangoed are it is just not good enough.

I do hope that we were just unlucky with our stay and I am sure that there are many people for who Llangoed is very special, but I doubt that we will be repeating this experience in the near future, the problem is not with the building or the fixtures and fittings but those all important 'little things' that make an experience unforgettable.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank mrDw3
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed Valentines Day this year and it was superb. Our room, a State Room, was all that we expected, the staff were exceptionally good and dinner (we had the tasting menu) was among the best meals that I have had. My only (minor) criticism is that that service of the meal was a little slower we would have liked.

We hope to visit again in the not too distant future and I can certainly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: We had a state room which was excellent.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We recently had a truly memorable stay at Llangoed Hall. The staff were very welcoming and attentive, the setting is lovely and the food was just amazing. Unfortunately the weather prevented us exploring the grounds despite some wonderful boots being made available. The weather really was against us as we had a power cut affecting much of Powys for half a day. The way this was dealt with was quite brilliant and given the circumstances the dinner that evening was incredible. The candlelight in the dining room quite beautiful.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan T
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I went to Llangoed Hall with my husband for a long weekend. A special occasion so we booked a master suite, which was gorgeous. Huge sitting room, bedroom and bathroom, sherry and fruit replenished every day - I think this happens in all rooms though. By the way I had a peck in one of the other, "ordinary" rooms and there is nothing ordinary about them either. The public rooms are also super with lovely open wood fires and squishy sofas, even a billiard room. The only little niggle was would the ladies loo which is in need of a referb, we have mentioned this. Now the food. I have eaten in lots of lovely restaurants but this one has to be somwhere near,if not at the top, of my best meals list. The tasting menu was, ooooo. Not forgetting the delicious canapes. The staff, lovely local people who couldn't have been more helpful. The gardens and grounds are lovely and there are a couple of walks to be done from the front door. Do I have any suggestions for improvement, well only one, for such a big, lovely place a conducted tour of the house would be the icing on the cake, we had one at another hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. Needless to say we will be returning.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank galensmum
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Recommend this superb & exquisite property in a pristine setting. Cuisine & service are excellent; however, administration did not respond when a winter rate in their collateral material was brought to their attention & we were charged their regular price, which is unfortunate. Additionally, our room the last day was not cleaned to the level that you would expect from an award winning hotel. The day we arrived we were one of two bookings; the day we left, they had five-seven rooms reserved.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank gloria s
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in. The attention to detail is superb, the staff attentive,and the quality of the food superb. No, its not cheap, but the best never is! One for that special occasion.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tellitasitis88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llyswen
The Lake Country House & Spa
#1 of 3 in Llandrindod Wells
Gliffaes Country House Hotel
Gliffaes Country House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Crickhowell

Been to Llangoed Hall? Share your experiences!