“This must be the nicest hotel in Wales”
Review of Llangoed Hall

Llangoed Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llyswen
Reviewed 18 June 2014

If you have after reading the reviews for this hotel high expectations, then be prepared to have them exceeded in every possible way, and be in total awe at the beauty, comfort, quality, decor, and personal friendly service it offers, not to mention the highest quality cuisine. The dinning definitely warrants a Michelin star, which I am sure is coming. The menus are pretty concise, but will bowl you over with the flavours and inventiveness of the dishes. Should you wish for an alternative to dinner, you may order from a different menu simpler dishes, that may be eaten on the delightful terrace overlooking the crocket lawn. These dishes offer extremely good value, and the Ligueni is to die for! There are many walks to take from 'The Hall' with printed maps to guide you which meanders the river. In short, there is absolutely no reason to leave 'the Hall' if you are on a two or three day stay. Loved playing Snooker and getting lost in the Maze. It is worth pointing out that your stay will be made even more relaxing by the personal attention of Brian, the operations manager who is the loveliest of persons, and who's conversations and friendly banter will uplift you and make your stay complete. We will be coming bacK at the first opportunity, if they have space that is!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank wychwoodtenby

Reviewed 28 May 2014

On our arrival we were greeted by one of the staff who took our luggage and showed us to the reception area, he was helpful and very willing.

The lady at reception was extremely efficient and although we were a little early for normal check in, our room was ready. We stayed in room 3, which was absolutely lovely.

We thought the food at dinner was only average and quite expensive for what it was, however on the plus side the wine list was excellent and prices were reasonable.

At breakfast we were informed by the waitress that unfortunately both the Haddock and Kippers were not available, she told us that the Bank Holiday weekend was to blame, and I have to say she didn't seem that bothered. Although we accept that from time to time items are off the menu this was Wednesday morning so it was a surprise that this was the case.

There was no one available to take our luggage to the car on our departure so we had to do it ourselves, not what you expect for the A A Hotel of the year 2013/2014 Wales

So we were left with mixed feelings about Llangoed, the setting and room was delightful but the food was not as good as we had expected and the service in some areas we found to be lacking.

I doubt we would stay here again.

6  Thank CookRE
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We rang last week in the morning to book afternoon tea for that day. We were informed that a full afternoon tea could only be supplied if 24 hours notice was given. They could supply cream teas or welsh teas without a reservation!

Four of us arrived and ordered cream teas which were beautifully served on the terrace overlooking the croquet lawn. Unfortunately the cream had to be sent back twice as it was solid and past it's sell buy date.

This is a delightful hotel and restaurant whose setting is to die for.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank reedi
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had our anniversary lunch here and it was from the a la carte menu, 3 courses, 1 bottle of wine and 2 soft drinks £200!

We are well read and fed foodies and we very often travel for lunch out, so a trip to Llangoed Hall was on the cards.

On arrival it was like a ghost ship, not a soul to be found just a couple of guests in jeans sat in the lounge talking very loud about nothing!

Took a seat and we were given menus and ordered drinks.

Out came the canapés and the chef to explain what they were, found this a bit odd - it's usually the waiter who explains what the dish is, no matter, they were very good.

Ordered our food and were shown to the table, the restaurant is really lovely with shades of duck egg blue and comfy chairs.

The waitress was lovely and friendly and she looked after us very well.

The food was excellent, the soft shell crab was better than Rick Steins in Padstow but again I was a little uncomfortable as the chef came to our table to pour the buttermilk sauce, odd! I was unsure about the beef, it seemed more like veal in taste and texture and I found the onion too overbearing.

Hubby had the venison which was beautiful and then the turbot which was excellent.

I had the parfait and hubby had the chocolate - it was a huge portion for a dessert, but he managed to scoff the lot!

The wine was topped up often as was the water, the poor waitress stood throughout the meal which I though a little unnecessary, poor lady!

The food was very good, the service also, a little overbearing at times (chef) the only down side is the price, we have eaten at some top restaurants/hotels, even Rick Steins was cheaper than here so be warned!

We will return when we can afford to!

1  Thank BonnBouche
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I'm a travel writer. My reviews appear in two broadsheet national newspapers and several magazines. I may be more critical about the places I stay but I hope my experience counts for something. I rarely turn to trip advisor but when a hotel has a serious 'issue' like Llangoed, you feel obliged to comment.
Firstly, I was supposed to be staying at Llangoed as a guest for two nights, writing a review for a website aimed at high earners. The reviews looked mostly good (Conde Naste was gushing), I asked and MD Mr Calum C [--] obliged. All good so far, although I do wonder why people feel the need to put their middle initial in correspondence.
We drove up from Cirencester on a Saturday evening, arriving at 8.30. The 'quintessential Edwardian country house experience' starts at the driveway gate, with several flagpoles. I hadn't seen quite as many since a trip to Butlins at Minehead. This was supplemented byl naff banners advertising a wedding 'fayre' - which just happened to be the following day! Lucky us, nobody had bothered to mention that but as it turned out, we weren't around long enough to meet any brides-to-be anyway.
The reason for choosing Llangoed was because I had read it was dog friendly and my email enquiry confirmed it would be OK to take my Viszla, Malin. He's used to staying in lovely, 'quintessential' country hotels that welcome dogs. However, after slipping him on a lead, when we entered the foyer area, I was politely told dogs were not allowed in the hotel.
Somewhat puzzled, I mentioned the fact the hotel was dog friendly. Heck, there was even a line of perfectly clean wellies in the porch and the odd Barbour lying around the place. Country hotels are all about huntin', shootin' and fishin' - or that's what I would write in The Field when my articles appear there. Apparently not.
Dogs at Llangoed are kennelled in a block some 100 yards from the main entrance. Probably slightly more Edwardian than most dog owners would like. Now, my dog is happy enough in a kennel but these days he is a house dog. I'm the guest and I want him to stay in my room, not on his own, in a random building far from the front door.
It was rather tempting to agree at this point, simply because I know Malin would have howled the place down and kept even Mr Calum C [--] awake in his lodge nearby. However, baffled at this rather botched up reception, I asked to speak to the manager. Well, you would, wouldn't you.
Mr Calum C [--] was called and as we waited 28 minutes for him to arrive I made polite conversation with the charming young waiter. What a lovely young man I thought, well brought up, coping with a tricky situation.
A fellow guest came over and pampered my dog. My partner went for a pee and came back with tales of a rather below average toilet facility inside. Malin had no such complaints about the lawn, I might add. Llangoed has a slightly painful quietness to it in the public rooms. You could hear a spider trump. The dog was a winner with guests but as the minutes ticked by and another guest came over and patted my hound, it became clear Mr Calum C [--] did not seem that bothered about attending to his two guests.
Mr Calum C [--] arrived in a jumper. He introduced himself as Mr Calum C [--] shook my hand and informed me dogs were not allowed in the hotel, positively not. No Sir.
Now, at this point I had two choices. Stay and let Malin howl the hotel down (tempting) or turn the car around and find a proper country house hotel (there are plenty more nearby). It only took a nano second to decide on option two. And that's where my experience of Llangoed should have ended, except for one passing comment from Mr Calum C [--]. Apparently, there were guests in with a dog in their room but they were paying £120 extra for the pleasure."Now, what does that say to you? Was he suggesting we didn't have £120 for our dog to stay, are Hungarian dogs like banned, why didn't he offer us the chance to pay £120? And besides, we were there as guests, he was already footing the bill, why would he expect us to pay when everything else was complimentary?
So, here's the thing.I tend to judge the places I stay as much by the staff as the venue. I've stayed in far better places than Llangoed and far worse. None however, had touted themselves as being such a wonderful place to stay and then turned out to be run by a man who appears so extraordinarily difficult to deal with.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
33  Thank jeremy t
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I booked this Hotel for my husbands 50th Birthday treat as I was looking for something special for this very special occasion to share with Chester (Fox Red Labrador) our constant companion and best friend. We've had the good fortune to stay at some wonderful Hotels and Fine Country Houses and are fully able to recognise quality facilities, professionalism and excellent customer care when it presents itself; and so to have booked a room making it clear to the booking agency that we were bringing our dog, following that up by telephoning the Hotel direct to confirm that this was a special occasion and that we were bringing our dog - yep we are a very dog friendly Hotel I was absolutely devastated to find at check-in that Chester was not allowed in the Hotel and that this 'dog friendly' Hotel expected him to sleep in a Kennel in the grounds - NO WAY!!!!!!! We, like Jeremy T, the journalist were invited to pay £120.00 for Chester to stay the night. We paid it and enjoyed a very pleasant stay, but I am still smarting at the fact that the manager maintains that the £120.00 fee is to pay for cleaning of the room, to ensure that other guests with allergies to dogs are not at risk .... please, other Hotels have the same issues, but they do not extort such exorbitant amounts for cleaning. So I am posting this review to warn anyone travelling with their furry companion that this is NOT a dog friendly Hotel - they will merely tolerate your dog for an excessive fee!!

Room Tip: Had we not been misled by the 'dog friendly' aspect of this experience my review would have...