“The most relaxing day of my life!”

Peterstone Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llanhamlach
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My mum and I have just returned from the Mid Week Spa Experience which included £25 off each of our spa treatments, a three course meal and a glass of wine each, full use of the facilities, breakfast and our room for the night. The hotel was easy to find and had beautiful surroundings. We used the gym, jacuzzi and sauna when we first arrived at the hotel which got our day off to a nice start (although some of the gym equipment is quite old and I thought I was going to break the pedals on the bike when I went quite fast). We then discovered the relaxation room which was decorated perfectly with mood lighting and a large choice of comfortable seats. We then had 2 hours worth of treatments each which were amazing - the facials in particular left our skin feeling amazing! We then decided to have the afternoon tea which was very nice. When we were shown to our room, it was perfect! A large room with a nice view over fields and pleasantly decorated. It had a sofa and armchair as well as the very comfy twin beds. The bathroom was also well decorated and the bath was bigger than you get in some hotels - I'm 5ft 11 but could almost stretch my legs straight in it, which I can't even do in my bath at home. After a few hours relaxing in our room, we went down to dinner. The set menu had two choices for each course - my mum and I chose different options but all of it was really delicious and had generous portions. We finished off our evening with a drink in the library, which was a lovely room to relax in. We also chose a DVD from the hotel collection to take back to our room. Breakfast the following morning was again tasty and had a good choice. Throughout the whole experience, we found the staff extremely helpful and they could not do enough for you! It was a brilliant trip, which we both thoroughly enjoyed! My mum is already trying to think when she can take my dad there and I think we might need to make this an annual trip!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 206 "Usk" which we found to be lovely, although I think the rooms on the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SophieLW
There are newer reviews for Peterstone Court Hotel

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed here not planned at all, we had mechanical difficulties returning home from the Forest of Dean. Luckily the hotel could offer us a stable room. With all other hotels booked in the immediate and sourrounding areas we were just happy to find some where dry and warm to rest our wiery heads.
We were greeted by a very charming young man who showed us around this grand but very relaxed and warm hotel. The sun terraces outside overlooked a sureal landscape of the Brecon Beacons, the rooms even though contempary in style still kept the elegance of its original era in history. T he outside lawns boasted a very tempting heated out door pool, but alas no costumes to where, which would of also served purpose to relax in thier jaquassi, located in their so tastefully decorated cellar location which also offerd a gym and the most chilling out spa room I HAVE EVER WITNESSED and believe me I have seen a few. I can only describe it as a room from an Arabian palace.
We were then asked if we would like to book for dinner and showed the menue the food of which is all sourced from the family farm and nearby areas, FRESH IS NOT THE WORD!!!. Our stable room a duplex more of an arpartment was simply to die for!!! my partner commented if this is merely a good room what can the others possibly be like?
Finishing touches like bath robes slippers, lolly pops, spring water were a welcomed added touch.
The staff were gracious and friendly, the food divine what more can I say, simply that I've stayed in many a country manor including thier sister hotel in Crickhowell but this is by far the best I've stayed in todate. A lovely stay and cant wait to return.

Room Tip: book early this hotel sells out fast
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I stayed at Peterstone court for my now sister in laws wedding where I was bridesmaid (26/07/13) I can honestly say that I thought the staff were excellent and could not be more accommodating and nothing was too much trouble. I would highly reccomend this venue for a wedding and the surroundings are outstanding which is great for photos. Our evening meal the night before the wedding was delicious and the steak tasted and was cooked beautifully. If you are worried like some about bath mats and how many knifes and folks you have maybe this hotel isnt for you, however if you are a down to earth normal person who enjoys life and doesnt worry about miner things then I would say give this hotel a try you wont regret it ;)

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I have only been able to award an average rating because of the two extremes we experienced. Our room was charming - large and with a brilliant view of the Brecon Beacons. However it was the hottest day of the year and being situated over the spa (and sauna!) was very warm indeed. What bliss to go downstairs for a pre dinner drink and sit at a table on the lower terrace with a view to die for. It was so welcome to sit and enjoy the breeze and take in the surroundings that we asked the young waitress if we could have our meal there. She said she would have to check with her supervisor (a middle aged woman with tattoos across her shoulder blades that were on display for all to see.) The answer came back that 'they were too rushed off their feet and we would have to eat inside'. The small table we were sitting at was an additional nine steps and a five yard walk from the upper terrace where the savvy (local) diners had bagged an outdoor dining table.... Because of this decision not to go a few extra yards (let alone an extra mile!) with their customer service we were subjected to a truly miserable experience. The table was laid like a working man's café. One knife and one fork, side plate and one water glass. My partner had the same but with the useful addition of a wine glass. Very loveless! We waited an eternity for the wine (a Welsh sparkling wine which was absolutely grim) and water. It eventually turned up after the starters were served. My squid salad was OK (only OK) but my partner was unable to eat his carrot soup as it was full of woody sticks. The homemade? bread rolls were unpleasant so they were left barely touched. This meant that there was a fair bit of debris left on the table which was only cleared when a request to do so was made. Asking diners if everything was alright when taking away half eaten rolls and three quarters of a bowl of soup was naïve but we'll put that down to lack of experience. My halibut was overcooked, partner's steak and thrice cooked chips were fine but by this time the sweat was rolling off us so we chucked the food down as fast as we could and made a swift exit. En route to the garden we ordered cheese and said that since they were 'so rushed off their feet' we would come back and get it ourselves. Strangely enough they were able to put themselves out sufficiently to serve this course outside. Our experience the following morning could not have been more different. Staff serving breakfast and refreshing the buffet table whilst a battalion of cleaners attacked the outside areas with gusto. This time we were allowed to sit outside and I ordered smoked salmon and scrambled eggs (not on the menu) which was served graciously and with a smile. Obviously an entirely different team but one that the evening partnership could take some lessons from. As observed by other reviewers we were left wondering how was in charge as a manager was sorely lacking.
Would I go back? No. Which is a shame because the stylish building is in a wonderful location and the majority of staff are helpful and efficient. A very visible lack of leadership lets the whole enterprise down badly.

Room Tip: We were in room 208 which was on one side of a heavy door at the top of the corridor. We jammed some...
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I received a voucher to spend at the spa, so I arranged to take my daughter with me. I have to say, we had a lovely time! The staff in the spa were exceptionally friendly and helpful. We were shown around the spa, and were really pleased with the facilities. There was a relaxation room, where we had a cup of tea to begin with. Then, we spent most of the time outside near the heated swimming pool. We were blessed with sunshine and the temperature was approximately 25 degrees. There were few sunbeds, but we were quite comfortable lying on towels on the grass.
There was a sauna and jacuzzi indoors, which we used for a short time. The treatment rooms were pleasant and comfortable and the therapists were very good at their job!
We sat in a little solarium to have our lunch which was included in the price. I have to say that I was a little disappointed with the food. I chose a main course and dessert, and my daughter had a starter and main course. I felt that it was mediocre. The poached peach (which I was sure was a pear on the menu) was difficult to cut and was accompanied by a small amount of "roulade". All the same, we had a very pleasant day in beautiful surroundings, made even better by perfect weather.
We did not stay at the hotel, so cannot comment on the rooms, but I am sure it would be a pleasant, comfortable hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2013

stayed for a weekend in the July sun. Great setting with a spa and outside pool, couldn't be better. Our room was large and nicely furnished, with a fabulous bathroom. The bar and restaurant were very good and service first class. Its quite an expensive place but the quality is high.Was simply a great weekend and a good centre for the Brecon Beacons , we will certainly return here.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

During our stay there was no obvious manager or owner in evidence which in our opinion led to the following faults:-
1. Despite being told about a nut allergy when booking the hotel and again when ordering the meal, a starter came out with pesto on the plate. On querying with the waiter I was told "you must not eat it" and then the waiter started to walk away. I had to call the waiter back to ask for the plate to be removed and redone. DANGEROUS AND UNACCEPTABLE.
2. We were not advised when booking this hotel that there would be an event on. There was a very loud rock band playing at a large function. A member of staff said to us the music would stop at 11pm. At 11.15 pm we complained and were told it was the last song, but it wasn't. We then had to endure people trying to vomit under our bedroom window and people eventually leaving noisily about midnight.
3. Breakfasts very poor. They served off orange juice and the eggs were overcooked. We were given 4 half slices of toast for 3 people.
4. On another night there was another party which resulted in very merry party-goers in fancy dress using the formal dining room as a corridor.
5. There was a 20cm rip in the duvet cover. The floor tiles in the bathroom were not securely fixed and there was no safely mat in the bath. This typifies the lack of attention to detail.
6. Apart from the young waitresses at breakfast, the staff were generally off-hand and disinterested. One complained about the party herself and that she was in for a late night.
This is a crying shame as the building is beautiful , the views are stunning and the quality of the cooking at dinner (nut allergy issue aside) was good. The hotel is in desperate need of a good manager. Having read other poor/ terrible reviews on this website it is clear that some of our issues have previously been raised and it would appear that nothing has improved.Will not be returning.

Room Tip: avoid the front of the hotel where the function room is and where taxis collect party-goers late at...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Douglas645
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanhamlach
The Manor Hotel
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa
Gliffaes Country House Hotel
Gliffaes Country House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Crickhowell

Been to Peterstone Court Hotel? Share your experiences!