“Like the Curate's Egg - Good in parts.”

The Felin Fach Griffin Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Felin Fach
Price range: US$1 - US$197
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The exterior of Brecon’s Felin Fach Griffin may be of ‘another country pub’ but step inside and it’s almost as if chintz and row upon row of horse brasses never happened. Boldly coloured walls and plush leather couches sit happily alongside scrubbed wooden tables and chairs and historic beams, but it’s the food that we’re here for…the very food that has critics raving and the awards piling up. Locally sourced ingredients, including a selection from the restaurant’s own kitchen garden, provide a centrepiece for glorious dishes full of imagination. Make the most of melt in the mouth mains and to die for desserts but remember to leave room for the spectacular selection of Welsh cheeses which really make the meal.The Felin Fach Griffin has won the Best Family Restaurant award for the United Kingdom in the 2008 Good Food Guide.
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Like the Curate's Egg - Good in parts.”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

What can I say? The Griffin has a great reputation but.. . . Let me start with the best: the dessert of chocolate praline with ice cream raspberries and white chocolate was worthy of a 3 star restaurant. Both starters - pork with apple and black pudding, and potted salmon were good, the 1st maybe better than good and very inventive.

No, the problem was with the main course. I have been eating Welsh lamb since I was a child. It is my favorite meal. I tell you this so that you know that I know what it should taste like.

The problem appeared to be overcooking. It was so tasteless that I couldn't be certain what meat it was. It was sliced thin and was tough and stringy. Maybe it was the oldest lamb in Brecon but more likely the cook had an off day. It was so bad I was embarrassed, thinking of the number of times I have told Frenchmen that Welsh lamb is the best meat in the world.

I seriously suggest that he goes down to the village and asks any Welsh housewife how to cook leg of lamb, or any other cut for that matter.

BTW nobody asked my opinion.

S. Wales
“Wonderful Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Considering Sunday roast lunches tend to be pretty much the same wherever you go, The Griffin have somehow whipped up a roast lunch that's better than most of the evening meals I've ever had! Delicious, high quality food and a very cosy and interesting restaurant. Wine also fantastic. Will certainly be returning.

• Visited June 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Nice food, beautiful surroundings”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We didn't manage to get a room here so instead decided to dine here, based on favourable reviews and Good Pub Guide. Bit gutted that didn't get a room here as it is a secluded location (although very close to road) and am sure rooms would have been lovely, as the pub was lovely.

Amuse-bouche of beetroot soup and bread were very nice. We had crab starters which had a tad too much raw fennel but otherwise nice. My partner's steak was slightly overcooked but jus and onion components were nice. My gnocchi with broccoli and squash was very simple but lovely. My dessert was definitely the best part of the meal, poached cherries with meringue and pistachio ice cream looked and tasted out of this world. 2 starters, 2 mains, 1 dessert, two glasses of wine, one beer and one sparkling water: 83 pounds.

What was strange was that we had to have a very early reservation as they claimed they only had 6 or 9 pm tables left, and that we had to vacate table by 8. Well, even at 7.30 the restaurant was practically empty!!

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Superb”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We were warmly welcomed here and shown to a table in the attractive restaurant area. Our waitresses were charming and the food and wine just superb. I had some reservations about visiting this pub/restaurant as I was not impressed when I ate at their sister pub in Cornwall, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Highly recommended.

Abingdon, United Kingdom
“High quality food at a reasonable price”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We arrived for lunch without a reservation, but they nonetheless were able to fit us in within 10-15 minutes and gave us a menu so we could order before being taken to our table. We recommend the three-course set menu for £21. The portions were just right so that we were full up, but not bloated by the end of the meal. The service was prompt and attentive and the dining area nicely laid out.

Visited July 2014