“Evening meal in a railway carriage”

The Sidings Restaurant
Price range: US$15 - US$31
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Sidings Hotel and Restaurant is situated in York, in North Yorkshire and is based around 5 Pullman-style railway carriages, located by the east coast mainline. The restaurant is unreservedly Italian, offering dishes such as cannelloni, marinated sardines, lamb with rosemary and potatoes, steaks and a selection of pizzas. The wine list focuses on Italian wine and three courses will cost an average of ��30 per person. Don't forget to check out the specials of the day, as well. Tickets, please! Next stop: the Sidings Hotel and Restaurant!
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Evening meal in a railway carriage”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Had a set menu meal a good choice of food nicely cooked and presented Choose the chicken served with fresh vegetables Husband had the beef tender with a nice sauce Sweet. me he was okay

Visited June 2014
Sidingshotel, Manager at The Sidings Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy that you are enjoyed your meals. We look forward to seeing you again soon for a great dining experience. Regards Sid & The Team.

York, United Kingdom
“Groupon voucher”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Been here a few times now and thoroughly enjoy the food and the service is good.
Really cool watching the trains go by. Would deffo go again

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Shunted into The Sidings”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

On the 21st May I was effectively shunted into the sidings at this Italian style restaurant on the outskirts of Shipton on the A19.

I arrived at about 7.30 with the restaurant about one third full, and was efficiently shown to a vacant table by Mine Host. I asked for a glass of red wine whilst waiting to order. 'Have you a Merlot ? ' I asked. 'No, but we have a nice Chilean Red, I will show you' was the reply. When the Chilean Red arrived it was a Merlot ! I pointed this out, and Mine Host disappeared.

Three more tables were then filled near me. Twenty minutes later, when all three tables had placed their orders, I felt it was time to enquire why I had been overlooked, having already asked a second waiter if I could place my order. 'I am sorry, but I am on my own this evening' was the boss's reply!

I paid for my wine, and decamped to the Dawney Arms at Shipton, where I was served to a drink and a meal within 10 minutes.

Don't wait for the fast train at The Sidings, it might be a long time coming!!!

Brian Spencer

5 Thank Brian S
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Getting there..a bit like the trains”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Last time we visited the service was poor, food dire and decor tired. So it was with some reserve that we book an evening meal. First impressions count and the young lady behind the bar greeted us with a welcoming smile and showed us were we could sit. The place has been decorated and had a makeover but why have the tables in the conservatory not been binned. You cannot sit comfortably and enjoy your meal. However the service was good and the food was up to par much better than last time. One item that needs attention is the condiments like the mustard should really be served in a small dish not a dessert bowl full.
So on the whole a far better experience than last time and with a little bit of tweaking it will hit the target. Well done keep working at it. We will return…..

York, United Kingdom
“Amazing Steak. Very poor service”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We visited last Sunday night as we had a Groupon voucher for the steak meal. As it goes the steak was amazing quality and cooked to perfection. That was the only good thing about our visit.....

We arrived at 7.30 and we were shown to our table in the main conservatory area. We were then pretty much forgotten about until 7.55! 25 minutes without even taking a drinks order was just ridiculous and we were 5 minutes away from walking out. When the waiter came to take our order he just asked for our voucher then turned to walk away so we had to ask if we could also have some drinks!

After we had eaten a waitress marched up to our table and bellowed "finished??!!!!" at us which we then discovered she did to all the diners....was actually quite comical in a sort of Fawlty Towers cringeworthy way!

Shame because I wouldn't say the service was in any way rude, just unintentionally shoddy. For example the waitress took our empty glasses but did not think to ask if we would like more drinks. No one asked if we would like coffee or desserts so they are missing an up sell opportunity here completely. unless you ask for something no one will bother you!

Again I have to say the steak was really delicious but I suspect that the reason this restaurant is quiet and having to "resort" to Groupon offers is nothing to do with the food and everything to do with the customer service!

I really hope they read this feedback and take it on board!!

6 Thank DebMcStay