“Lovely food and service”

The Sidings Restaurant
Price range: US$15 - US$31
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Sidings Hotel and Restaurant is situated in York, in North Yorkshire and is based around 5 Pullman-style railway carriages, located by the east coast mainline. The restaurant is unreservedly Italian, offering dishes such as cannelloni, marinated sardines, lamb with rosemary and potatoes, steaks and a selection of pizzas. The wine list focuses on Italian wine and three courses will cost an average of ��30 per person. Don't forget to check out the specials of the day, as well. Tickets, please! Next stop: the Sidings Hotel and Restaurant!
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Visited here at the end of May for a meal. The food was varied and all three courses were delicious. Great friendly service and ambience. Good value for money, would definitely recommend!!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Varied menu, plenty of choice. Reasonable prices. Pleasant staff. Enjoyed eating in carriage restaurant

Sidingshotel, Manager at The Sidings Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for dining with us and being honest about the fact that we provide a varied menu, which is reasonably priced. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Sid and the team.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I wAs in the restaurant on the 14th June the review prior says it wasn't busy ? I assure you it was as there was ten people on my table alone, we were well looked after, all meals lovely as usual! All puddings were available it wAs that good we off back tonight!!

C u tonight sidings :-) x

This is a very important feedback as they recognized that the previous report was very misleading and untruthful. The restaurant was indeed busy and we had 120 people here that night. They said ‘All meals lovely as usual’, also ‘all puddings were available’, and that ‘it was that good they are coming back in the following night’. This just goes to show that you should NOT believe everything you read, as people will write what they want to irrespective of whether they had a good time or not, which as a hotelier very frustrating indeed. Big thank you to these folks who tell it how it is. Regards Sid & The Team.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

This is the first time I have ever felt compelled to write a review on trip advisor! I bought a living social voucher deal for 4 people and we booked in for Sat 14th June.

I have never experienced such poor customer service! The staff were disorganised and unhelpful! No one asked us for a drink order and when we requested drinks on three occasions with different members of staff, the staff had already begun walking off before we'd finished ordering so they ended up serving us incomplete orders! No one asked us if we had enjoyed our meals or if we wanted desserts/coffees. After we requested the dessert menu and placed our order we were then informed that they didn't have what we wanted. There was only about 3 desserts available from the menu which on a Saturday night which wasn't that busy (due to England playing) seemed ridiculous!!

The food itself was nice and well worth the deal price but all of our steaks over cooked and I would have certainly complained if I had to pay full price for them! They were also meant to come with mushrooms but two of our meals didn't!

The restaurant itself and the settings were lovely and it has the potential to be a great place to eat but the customer service desperately needs to improve!

3  Thank Yorkie_JP
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We went here for a Father's Day treat and were strangely entertained by how awful it was! Basil Fawlty eat your heart out!

Our table of 8 was booked for 1 o'clock and after a few drinks in the bar area we were seated in the conservatory where initially the service began well with our food ordered quite promptly...

However, I asked what the fish of the day was and was told it was white with sauce on! My sister in law asked what the vegetarian dish was and was informed it was vegetarian!

When the starters finally arrived they came out in different portion sizes - for example my 8 year old nephew had a big block of pate and my brother a thin slice! The pastry topped garlic mushrooms was burnt and the prawn cocktail had more crab sticks in than prawns!

I should also add that the table behind us screamed at the waiter that they were before us and had not received their food!

After an hour of so the mains turned up, the parsnips were raw and the fish was dry with lots of bones hidden under a
pile of tomato sauce.

After another hour and with a stuck record in the background our desserts arrived but not all together! Two glasses of ice cream arrived and 20minutes later a few more desserts arrived followed by the final few 5 minutes after that!

My brother highlighted to the waiter that the service was poor and would he eat here? He said no! At the same time every other table around us were also giving feedback!

At 3.30pm we were finished and went to pay, we informed the staff of the issues to help them improve and perhaps apologise but they just shrugged and charged us the full amount!

If the staff had been apologetic and promised to pull their socks up I wouldn't have bothered to rant, however they didn't! I now feel compelled to inform others that they will be sorely disappointed with this dining experience!

6  Thank Suzanne H