The Sidings Hotel
US$193
US$113
US$111
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn York North Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
US$127
PremierInn.com
Best Western Burn Hall Hotel(Huby)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$77
  • Restaurant
Beechwood Close Hotel(Clifton)(Great Value!)
US$101
Orbitz.com
US$216
US$181
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrailway carriagegreek nightold railwaytrains passingmain linerailway memorabiliacontinental breakfastgroupon dealtrain enthusiastsflying scotsmantrain linefour posterunique hotelfull englishpark and riderooms are smallchristmas present
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I agree with everything that has been said,refurbishment,yes this can take time, I agree, but the room we stayed in,needed a good clean, and it would have been nice to have nice white towels.
But this said we had a great meal, staff were very welcoming and helpful.
Have enjoyed our two night stay and I can really say the earth really move for us, every time a train went by.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gill w
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at the sidings(room 8) .had a great time,food fantastic.Not your normal hotel stay but we knew it would be different.We didnt expect 5* but enjoyed a couple of days away that was quirky.Could do with some refurbishment,clean sheets and nice white towels.We did have to ask for extra tea and coffee..Lots of places to visit within a few miles.Six of us went and we would all go again..

Room Tip: Room 8 was the largest room and not too close to railway.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went for my birthday it was complete surprise. And really didn't expect to see the carriages as they were! Truly awesome.!!!
We had a three course meal with wine. All three meals were presented wonderfully, and tasted magnificent, all the food was freshly made and was served well.
The service was great friendly and welcoming and they couldn't do enough for you, whilst having a great balance of not pestering you, to finish or leave and pay.
It has a relaxing atmosphere in the whole venue from the rooms to the restaurant. I would highly recommend this place to eat and to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Firstly, I can't believe the number of reviews complaining about train noise - there is a clue in the name of this hotel and the fact that the rooms are converted railway carriages!

Yes, the corridors and rooms are a bit tired, but the train carriages are 50+ years old and there's only so much refurbishment you can do without destroying their character. Plus, at £59 a night for B&B the owners are hardly going to be rolling in cash to carry out a lot of works.

The negatives for me were that the room was too warm but the thermostats on the radiators didn't work so we couldn't turn the heating down. The plastic shower tray didn't feel very secure and the tiles had been re-grouted but the grout was stuck to the front of the tiles which made the shower look dirty. The bin in the room hadn't been emptied and the sink was grubby.

Now for the positives: We arrived very late in the evening, having been delayed travelling down from Glasgow through some horrendous weather, and the chef very kindly stayed on, reopened the kitchen and made us a fantastic meal (thank you Matteo). We also got to eat in the restaurant car which was really charming. I can't rate the food highly enough and would recommend a visit to the restaurant whether you're staying here or somewhere nearby. We spent ages chatting with Sotiris (the owner), Matteo and the friendly young lad behind the bar.

We had a "four-poster" room which was really quite quirky and it seemed that everywhere we turned there would be some piece of railwayana that we hadn't spotted before. The mattress was very comfortable and I took earplugs with me so had no problem with the train noise in the morning.

Continental breakfast was basic but perfectly acceptable for what we paid for the room and would have been better if the breakfast staff could have cracked a smile now and then, but that wasn't the end of the world and certainly not the worst service I've ever received in a hotel. Breakfast is served in the conservatory which looks out over the main line and has a lovely view over the fields too.

Overall we found this hotel quirky and charming, a bit tired in places, but the food and the service would definitely have us coming back and I'd recommend it if you want to stay somewhere just a bit different.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter which room you have you will hear trains so take earplugs.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank allybee13
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went with a Groupon voucher for our midday meal, a present which was meant as a treat, after a round trip of over 100 miles it was sadly a disappointment, I was expecting some exotic dish not a bog standard pizza that would have been surpassed by a purchase from any supermarket, my wife had the Lasagne, again not what was expected from this establishment, the only staff we met was a waitress with no communication attitude, just serve and vanish, even got my simple beer order wrong.
We were sat in the almost empty conservatory right next to the tracks also having a view of the Sidings feature railway carriages with badly faded livery and grubby curtains, I got the impression the place was getting run down through neglect, a lick of paint is needed to lift appearance, then the menu needs attention to make it a dining experience.
Would I return, no, would I recommend with or without a coupon, no.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple