“A negative experience this time but has been better.”

Marton Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marton
Colchester, United Kingdom
“A negative experience this time but has been better.”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We have stayed here around 3 times when we go and visit family in Middlesbrough. We have always had a good experience and found the hotel very good value for money. It is quite large and in a nice location in Middlesbrough though not near the town. The rooms come in two grades - refurbished and unrefurbished - obviously the latter being cheaper. We have stayed in both and although the refurbished rooms are nicely decorated, the unrefurbished rooms are OK too. The price includes breakfast and the food was excellent every time we've stayed - a great choice of cereals, toast, cooked English breakfast and drinks. There is a car park and the hotel is straight off the dual carriageway which makes things easy. The downside however, really revolves around the attitude of some of the staff. This is disappointing as courtesy and flexibility cost nothing, it shouldn't matter how cheap the rooms are! We arrived at midday after a 5 hour drive - the check in time was 1pm. We were immediately told that the room "probably" wouldn't be ready. The man on reception did not check with anyone and immediately stated that check in isn't until 1pm so we could wait. Yes, strictly speaking, check in isn't until 1pm but I have never stayed anywhere where they rigidly stick to this and aren't able to be flexible. I suspect it was to entice us to spend money in the bar. We had a family occasion to attend so didn't return to the hotel until around 6pm. I later found out that our room was actually ready first thing in the morning as my brother was shown it when he went in to enquire about a family room. He did not like the room and decided to go elsewhere. I know we were in the family room despite booking a double room because we had a locked adjoining door in our room through which we could hear every word/movement from the person next door. This meant we had to move rooms at around 1am as we had no privacy whatsoever, and neither did the occupant next door - unbeknownst to him we had heard every word of his telephone conversation. This was an unrefurbished room but it didn't even have lamps. The staff in the restaurant are a mixed bunch - some really friendly and helpful and some arrogant and surly. Thank God for a lovely young lady on reception who was very welcoming and also the night receptionist/manager who moved us into a different room, with no fuss doing whatever he could to make it easy for us. We probably will stay again because the positives outweigh the negatives but it's hard to understand how some businesses would lose good customers for the sake of good service which doesn't cost them anything.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank borolass70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

On arrival at the hotel we were offered an upgrade. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom could have done with a bit of a clean to remove some limescale.
Breakfast could not be faulted neither could the evening meal we had. The staff were all friendly and very helpful. The only criticism was the lack of wi-fi in our room. Apparently some parts of the hotel cannot get this so do ask on arrival. All in all this was an enjoyable stay and great value for money. The hotel may look a bit tired but it was more than adequate for our needs. We would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SharonJane2013
Northumberland
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This was a business trip and would have walked away if i had booked it myself. Entrance is shabby and was asked at reception to pay for the room before I had even seen the room. The room had no bed-side light, no plug in the sink. The shower was plastic tubes attached to the bath taps. Decor was pre-war and something from "Faulty Towers". The only plus was the bar meal, which was well priced and a decent portion. However this was spolit when I asked for a VAT receipt and was told that the bar till does not do them and you have to get one from reception.....what a joke.
Never again!!

Room Tip: Use another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank northumberlandlad

Travellers are raving about these Marton hotels

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on wedding night and although some places were a little dated our room had just been done up amd was nice. Friendly staff who could'nt do enough for us and the food wow out of this world quality and very generous portions definitely value for money.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank John L
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Good welcome.
Superior room. Partner stayed previously in standard room and thought the superior room would be more appropriate for us both. Well he really knows how to treat a girl !!! Two single beds-you know the ridge where they join together. Just designed for cosying up together-well guess who got to lie on the ridge-yes you've got it. Room cold, basic, small TV, no doors on wardrobe, grim view out of window. Noisy people yapping all night-not the fault of the hotel obviously but just added to the experience.
Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good. Food was hot. Toaster a bit lethal but hey ho we were up north!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sally l
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I booked this hotel with my daughter who is attending Teeside Uni and thought by the name that we were getting a great bargain. I couldn't have been further from the truth. The entrance alone should have given me an idea; broken plant pots, overgrown weeds around windows-which were filthy and the smell of smoke and old cooking premeated the whole area as we entered the reception area. We had just arrived from the airport and had been travelling since 3.30am and we both were very tired and hungry. The receptionist did not even look at us when we arrived and said that they were very busy as they'd a wedding the night before. ( Still can't believe someone would book thier wedding here. I can only assume they were given the venue for free) She reluctantly allowed us to store our luggage in one of the cupboards and when we asked was there somewhere we could have a bite to eat she suggested we walk up to a cafe a few yards away. When we returned we sat outside on the "picnic bench" among the weeds,cigarette ends and broken plant pots and ate our Greggs pasties as the cafe up the street was closed. We then asked if we could book into our room early as we were so tired; I advised that we were aware that we could not book in unti 2pm but asked if she could check the room was ready. She refused saying that they were busy and that if I wanted to check I do so myself. Although she told me I must pay for my three nights stay before this. I informed the lady that I would be checking the room before I paid. The room was very dated, with wallpaper badly needing some paste to hold it in place, I can say the beds were clean and the bathroom was spotless. I went back to reception and told her that we would be stayign one night only. She asked why and I told her that when I first made the booking I was told that I would be given a refurbished room, she said that this is the refurbished room. I advised I would not like to be staying in one that wasn't! During the night a catfight broke out when I was wakened to the sound of 2 girls shouting and cursing at each other, I actually became concerned and was concerned as it sounded very close by. I tried the phone to ring reception but it did not work. I did not want to leave the room in case I bumped into the 2 ladies involved! However, the breakfast was good in the morning; I was just going to leave but my daughter was very hungry. While we ate breakfast, I looked around at the others in the dining room and realised that everyone appeared subdued and were eating quietly, I then realised that 2 of the staff were standing at the kitchen entrance arguing with each other loudly, it was clear there was some sort of dispute in relation to their work which was heard by all those eating breakfast. I can only say I fled that morning, thankful to be leaving and glad that I would not have to return. I spoke with the taxi man who had left us at the hotel the previous day and he said that it was a well-known fact that locals steer clear of this venue due to reputation of staff and the major hygiene issues. I am afraid that I cannot rate this hotel and am surprised that health inspectors and other council officials can allow it to stay open.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 531CarolFox
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, probably would not have done had I read some of the reviews on here. I can only presume that their are very different types of rooms on offer as ours (105) was clean and comfortable with a huge bed, large plasma tv and modern bathroom. We dined the second night in the restaurant and the food was very nice and very reasonably priced. Breakfast was excellent and lots of it. For £30 per person per night including breakfast, I don't think you can moan although their is some work needed on the décor. My advice would be to ask for a room that has been done out.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rajinder g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marton
Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge
#4 of 11 in Middlesbrough
Travelodge Middlesbrough
Travelodge Middlesbrough
#3 of 11 in Middlesbrough

Been to Marton Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!