“Not paradise at all”
Review of Paradise Bungalows

Paradise Bungalows
Reviewed 11 June 2014

HI All

we booked 5 nights at Paradise Bungalow and left after 3.
First of all, staff is not welcoming at all. They should do a training to learn to smile at least!
Nobody to help you with you luggage at all on arrival. They just stare at you having trouble to carry them. we asked to see another bungalow and it was deeply annoying them.

The sheets were dirty and smelling bad. I checked one morning when they went to clean one other bungalow after our neighbors checked out and they just swept the floor and đi not change the sheets at all.

Besides, the fan was making so much noise that it was difficult to sleep.

Food was just not meeting expected standards, knowing that it is more expensive than all other restaurant on the main beach.

We left and did not regret to leave at all.
we went to Pura Vita Resort where we found good welcome, nicer bungalow, and better food.

You also have plenty of bungalows next to Paradise Bungalows with better comfort (real window, closed roof...) for better price.

Do not go to Pararadise Bungalow!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JORIS B
Bulletproofkate, Manager at Paradise Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Hello Joris,

Im so sorry you felt that you did not enjoy your stay at Paradise.

When you arrived you were greeted by Ling who is one of our Khmer staff who was as friendly as she could be but unfortunatley not strong enough to of carried your luggage for you. Also this is an island and there are no porters available to do this for you and most people usually bring a back pack.

You had originally booked the honeymoon bungalow and when you arrived you wanted to change to B2 our staff changed you to the bungalow of your choice.

if you found our sheets not clean why did you not say to the staff and they would of change them for you as well. We do change our sheets every time a customer checks out but they usually clean the floors and everything else before they change the sheets unfortunatly you may not of been there when they did this as this can be 2 or 3 hours later as we like fresh sheets for the customers.

Also if the fan was making so much noise you could not sleep why did you not mention this to reception because they would of got a new one for you.

As for the food you only had 1 ice coffee and 1 pancake your whole 3 days you were with us so i feel this is difficult to judge a restaurant on.

Yes you did leave with out saying anything to anyone and Ling ran after to you see what she could do to help sort out your problems.

Please tell me what a real window is? Also we do have roofs and they are closed but not on some of the showers as they are OPEN air.

Well im glad you had a great rest of your time on Koh Rong and that Pura Vita lived up to your expectations. It is a very nice place and also run by people from the same country as you so that always helps.

Im glad you had a nice time at Pura Vida

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed here in one of the best bungalows - room M1 the location and view were beautiful but the bungalows and service were not so great!

The water didn't work very often, and the room was dirty and the sheets hadn't been changed.

The setting was really nice and the resturant. The service really let the resort down the staff almost looked annoyed if you ordered food or drinks from them. It also took over an hour to get breakfast.

When the food did arrive it was lovely the breakfast and the burgers were good.

But for $50 a night you would really expect clean sheets and a shower!

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Sophs222

Hello,

Im sorry we do have problems with the water sometimes especially with Khmer holidays as many people leave there taps running and this drains our tanks that we fill up every day.

Also now that there are so many bungalows on the island there really is not enough water especially in the dry season when it does not rain for at least 9 months.

If you felt your room was dirty and your sheets where dirty why did you not tell reception as they would of sorted this out for you straight a way.

Also the food does take a long time to come sometimes again in Khmer holidays or busy times because it is cooked fresh. Again another point we can tell our staff to tell customers at these times of year that it may be an hour before you get your food because we cook everything fresh.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Hi all

We went to this hotel to find a room, and we ask for the cheapest room, as we are low budget travellers, but we could still afford 40-50 $ a day
Once arrived, the manager said agressively there were only one or two room left, but it was not the cheapest
She was agressive and arrogant, so we left straight away and went to the neighbourg bungalows !
We came back two days later on the evening to have dinner, because, apparently, this is a good place to eat
We wait twenty minutes for the starter, same for the main course
Our neighbourg wait 30 minutes for a glass
We had to yell at the waitress to be served !
We told the " manager " about this, but she just took it personally on an arrogant manner

I am manager too, and i know that the way you are or behave , influence your team and their behaviour ....
Very bad atmosphere

Welcome to hell

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Porto R
Bulletproofkate, Manager at Paradise Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Hello

Im sorry you felt the manager was rude to you but thank you for coming back to our restaurant. Normally when a manager has been rude people dont come back.

As for the food you do have to wait sometimes a long time for it as everything is cooked fresh. At busy times of the year and Khmer holidays this can be even longer than 30 minutes.

As it is exceptionally rude to yell at a Khmer person and anyone really. Then the manager would of seen it as an arrogant manner, as it was.

You may be a manger but things are very different in Cambodia and you would of come across as rude to the Khmers. so im sorry for this. I know its a very different country and not what people are used to.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

A group of 4 of us got a 4 person, 2 bed bungalow on the beach (unit b-1). The fact that it had electricity and a fan all night was reason enough to stay here, and the restaurant turned out to be decent. However, when a 40KG girl got into the porch hammock at 7 am, it broke, causing a fairly serious injury to her head. The rope was frayed and broke under her weight and she landed on her head, after hitting her head on the way down on a wooden bench. When I brought this up with the front desk I was told, "These things happen" and that was it. They said they would have the hammock fixed but it never was. Also, the "Mosquito nets" weren't actual mosquito nets just a thin dining table top mesh fabric stapled to the top of the bed, creating a loose barrier around the bed which didn't even stop large bugs from getting in. Oh yeah there was also plenty of garbage strewn about the property.

Room Tip: Go for the luxury bungalows or the stone house with ac. They can't be as wretched as the bungal...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Squeeby S

Hello,

Im so sorry your friend had an accident in the hammock. The receptionist was right these things can happen and this is not something we can prevent as the sea rots the strings and we will not know until it happens. Again sorry about that. Also the hammock should of been fixed and the fact it was not is also bad so again i am sorry about that and thank you for telling me.

As for the mosquito nets these are the mosquito nets you can get in this country. The loose barrier is so you can get in and out of the bed and this is up to you to tuck it in. We have recently managed to buy a better quality mosquito nets not from Cambodia and we are replacing all of the old ones bit by bit. We do replace the ones in the more expensive bungalows first though as these are more expensive bungalows for a few reasons. We leave the choice up to the customer you can stay in the cheap bungalows but the style is cheaper or you can pay for the nice bungalow but it will cost a few dollars more.

As for the rubbish strewn about we do clean the surroundings of the bungalows every single day. Please tell me where you thought the rubbish was so i can make sure this area is concentrated on more.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

When I read many of the reviews they seem to be faulting Paradise with issues that are actually more related to Koh Rong. I just came from a 5 night stay at Paradise and I think they manage to do an excellent job combatting the issues that are the result of staying on an island. The first night I was in a beach front bungalow for $70. I wish my budget would have allowed me to stay there the entire time but I was only there until the next day when one of the smaller bungalows opened up. Koh Rong is nothing short of gorgeous. Several of the pics I posted look like post cards. Paradise has a very nice stretch of beach where they provide sun loungers and hammocks for you to enjoy the beach at. It's true that water and electricity are limited but they manage to provide if for when you will most need it- when you wake up and before bed. Electricity is supposed to run all night but of the five nights I was there we lost electricity three of them. That would not have been such a big deal except I was visiting during one of the hottest months of the year so I had elected to pay more to stay at Paradise because I was told I would have electricity for the fans all night. Trying to sleep when it is that hot with no fans is really difficult. Other than that, I would recommend Paradise to anyone. If your budget allows for it I would definitely opt for one of the stone villas as I heard they are naturally cooler and one even has electricity. The staff were all wonderful, the food was excellent and again- the scenery couldn't be more amazing. Madeline, the manager, was always around to take care of whatever she could do to make your stay better. She even arranged return tickets for several people in our group. We just told her what we were looking for and she came back later and had handled all of the details for us. I hope to make it back to Koh Rong again and if I do I will definitely be returning to Paradise Bungalows for my stay.

Room Tip: if your budget allows for one of the stone bungalows I would go for that.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank nlaguilera

Hello,

Thank you very much for your review.

Im sorry we did not have electricity for you every night. We were having trouble with our generators at the time and to get these fixed we have to send it off the island to the mainland and then to a town about 5 hours away from Sihanoukville. This then takes 3 days to fix them and the whole trip again back. We do have a few generators so that we do not have to inconvenience the customers but bad luck happened at that time and all were broken. So sorry again for this and im glad you still enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We were both really looking forward to our stay in the paradise bungalows after reading such great reviews.

Unfortunately for us, the stay didn't turn out exactly how we would've liked.

We did choose to go in the wet season, so we can share some of the blame, however, there were some areas that we a big let down.

The setting itself is amazing. We were in the mountain bungalow and had a great view of the beach. The noise from the other pubs and hotels does carry, however, it isn't loud enough to keep you awake.

The heat on the island was shocking and apart from the beach there was no way to escape it. The fans in the bungalows don't work until 6pm and even the fans in the restaurant aren't turned on until that time either (even then I had to ask and was told we had to move tables because the one we were sitting under was broken).

There are only a few hours a day that there is running water on the bungalows. So if you return from the beach and want to get ready for bed, there's no water. You either need to use bottle water, or go bed sandy.

Sleeping was a bit of a hassle. Night one the fan went off at 3am for no reason and the second night about 10 mosquitoes managed to find a way through the mosquito net and nearly eat us alive. On closer inspection there were about 4 decent size holes in the mosquito net. We weren't able to change to the other bed, as that one had no fan.

The restaurant serves OK food and drink, but a little bit on the expensive side. On our last night I had to wait 90 minutes for my dinner to arrive, in this time my partner had finished her meal.

The wait staff are polite but struggle with getting orders correct. A couple of times we ordered drinks but they never turned up.

Make sure you pack coconut oil to keep the sand flies away and insect repellant to stop being attached by mossies.

Because of the heat we ended up leaving a night early. They were kind enough to refund us 50% of the final night.

I would definitely recommend paradise bungalows, however, would only go there in the cooler months.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Brendan S
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed in and viewed a number of bungalows on Koh Rong and believe Paradise is by far the best option. Madeline, the resort manager, was extremely helpful during our stay and the bar area is a great place to relax in the evening.

The food at the restaurant was good with the Khmer dishes being a particular highlight. Although service was sometimes slow I found this to be a recurring theme within Cambodia therefore I have not downgraded Paradise on this basis.

One of the main advantages of staying at Paradise is the electricity runs from 8pm - 6am in comparison to the 2am cut off point at all other resorts. For me, having a fan running throughout the night is a massive plus point, especially during the hot season. We stayed in one of the cheaper bungalows ($35 per night), which in fact is comparable in price to the majority other bungalow resorts on the island, which had a double bed and en-suite. There are cheaper options within the village, but sleep quality and beach quality will be compromised staying there.
An additional bonus is there are sun loungers are on the beach for Paradise guests which none of the other resorts provide.

I feel some (not all) of the previous negative reviews are unfair as they relate to issue with Koh Rong rather than Paradise. Visitors need to be aware that there is a lack of running water on the island and if it doesn’t rain there will be limited water to shower with. The bungalows are positioned on the edge of the jungle therefore there will be geckos, insects and monkeys in or around you bungalow. Also, accommodation on the island is limited and demand is high therefore expect to be paying higher prices for accommodation that you have been used to in other parts of Cambodia.

If you can’t live without electricity and hot water, hate insects and prefer developed touristy destinations with a vast selection of hotels and places to eat then the island is probably not for you. However if you are looking for an untouched tropical paradise which is great for both relaxing and exploring then I definitely recommend Koh Rong.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ball8511

Hello,

Thank you for your review and your last comment hits the nail on the head....