“Wouldn't recommend this place”

Coco's Bungalow Resort
Ranked #28 of 36 Koh Rong B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Wouldn't recommend this place”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

At first sight everything looks pretty decent; the bungalows are big and you have a small balcony with a hammock. At night it all changes; lot of bugs in the room and the music from the bar doesn't stop until 3, so if you are planning on getting some sleep don't go here! Also there is no fan available and it gets pretty hot + poor service. Koh Rong is a wonderful island so go somewhere else to!

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London/Bristol
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Having travelled through Thailand, Laos and mainland Cambodia on a budget I was pretty sure I had stayed in some really grotty places.

Nothing can compare to Cocos. Traveling with a friend with a fever we needed a fan to be working so paid extra for a so called "deluxe bungalow" which we were promised had 24 hour electricity. Not only did our electricity not work during the day when all the normal bungalows had perfectly working electricity but at night, when needed most, we were in total darkness - no electricity at all.

This would have been fine if the room had been secure perhaps but to add to sleeping difficulties, we were greeted by rats, lizards and birds, not to mention the Mosquitos.

I understand it is a remote and gorgeously untouched island but the bungalow was poorly designed and could have easily prevented the jungle of animals in our room. There was a metre wide gap that spanned the whole front of the bungalow (4 metres) wide open at all times. A simple mosquito net over this gaping hole would have solved all the problems of our the nature that infested our room but there was no such attempt to prevent this at all.

The mosquito net had so many holes in it that it was futile to even use it.

To add to all the problems, the staff seemed nonchalant about all of the problems explaining "it's cool guys we will sort it in the morning" to every problem we had.

I am fully aware that bungalows are not the most secure of places but for the price we paid, we expected at least to be safe from rats and birds even if a lizard or two snuck in.

This is an awful place to stay, awful value for money, awful staff. To say it ruined the gorgeous Koh Rong for me is too sad to admit but it made th paradise of he island a grind and I couldn't wait to leave.

Do not stay in Cocos.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank CatharineRen
Chris P, Public Relations Manager at Coco's Bungalow Resort, responded to this review, 14 September 2014
I dont know who promised you 24 hour electricity, but that is not possible on Koh Rong now. We will fix the gap, but really there are so many animals in the jungle here that its impossible to stop them attacking the rooms

Travellers are raving about these Koh Rong hotels

Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

The bungalows were adorable, beds were
Comfy, location is prime, atmosphere is good. But the island doesn't have power passed a certain time so the rooms have no fans or AC. It was hard to sleep due to the heat. Also the bathrooms smelled like mould.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed only one night at coco's bungalow after spending two nights at other guest house nearby. I had the worst night ever. The beds and Mosquitos net are infested with bed bugs, I woke up in the middle of the night and saw dozens of them crawling over the net, on my legs and all over my boyfriend 's back. I was terrified. We tried killing some of them what made the whole bed and net look like it went through a war so much blood was on them. Next morning we told the reception guy who offered us another bungalow (as he said: a nicer one for the same price) but as soon as we walked into the room we could see the bugs on the bed (on the 'newly' clean changed bedsheet) and all over the mosquito net too, it was in the morning, so I guess there must be a zillions of bugs in those bungalows since I read they only come out at dark and it was morning and you still could see them around. It was terrible, we left the island straight away. I am still suffering with the bites, two days later.
Also, before the night mare, we had no water to shower in the early evening (when you come back from the beach and NEED a shower) I had to ask when the water would be available , I've been told different stories until one of the staff went to 'check' the reservatories and 5 mins later te water was back.
I had no water shortage when stayed at this other place for two nights just few metres further ahead.
Regarding the restaurant, food there was good, a bit more expensive than other places in the island but nice sized portion, clean and tasty.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Camilacarolinef
Northampton
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We secured our room one day before arrival from a travel agency & paid $15 per night. It was cheap & not very cheerful.

The rooms were okay for what we needed, somewhere to sleep. However, if your a little more fussy, it's not great. As to be expected there are animals knocking about, it's a tropical climate, so this will happen. However, one night I woke up to find a stray cat asleep in our bed! It had pushed it's way in through the wicker door! Overall, it wasn't the rooms that irked me about this place.

The attitude of the staff was quite poor in this establishment. In the hospitality trade you need to show a degree of warmth, but this was missing. In my opinion it looked like it was just a bit of a holiday with a revenue stream attached.

The food in the bar was poor. I ordered a beef burger for lunch, which sounded good in the menu description. However, one hour after ordering, I was told they had no beef burgers & they can only offer chicken. No worries. It came out 1/2 hour later looking like a compressed cod fillet! :/ After that period of time I just ate a few bits & left. During my time in the bar I noticed that when staff were taking out food, they were eating it from people's plates before it arrived with the paying guest. In my opinion, that's not on, regardless of whether you're having a moan or not on here. The French lad who was doing it seemed to want to be the centre of attention during my time there......singing stupidly loudly & dancing around like R2D2 after a shot of space dust! Guests were slighty perplexed. Very bizarre.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank achafh
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We moved to Coco's Bungalow for 3 nights. First in a 15 dollar bungalow with shared toilets/showers, then two nights in a 20 dollar bungalow with it's own toilet/shower. The bungalows were simple, with two large beds & mosquito nets (the nets had some holes). Other than that they were more than sufficient. The bigger problem was the noise. Every night the bars on the island pound music until 2 or 3 am, and Coco's is no exception. Bamboo bungalows are not soundproof, so bring you ear plugs! Then after the music stopped the stray dogs on the island kept us up until 4 am, then at 6 am construction going on at the hotel woke us up. Needless to say we didn't get much sleep.

While the staff most likely has a high turnover rate, most of the people who 'helped' us just stared at us with a blank look. We were forced to hand over our passports even though we paid upfront for our accommodation. When we told them that we like to hold on to our passports the receptionist told us that she could keep it safer than we ever could. She then showed us an unlocked box with a dozen or so passports in it sitting behind the desk. At several times throughout the day there was no one anywhere near the desk - pretty safe!

At the restaurant, staff would not tell us that parts of food orders were out of stock when ordering, and meals came out half prepared. On two occasions we watched a waiter eating fries off a plate he was serving.

If you just want to drink and party, go here, if you want to relax on a white sand beach in peace, go as far away from the pier and Cocos as possible.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Koh Rong still is a quiet and simple place with many peaceful beaches. But if that is what you are looking for, stay away from Cocos and other guesthouses near the piers. They play loud music in the bars until 2am every day and there is a constant traveller party going on.
The bungalows do have rats, geckos, spider webs and all the other annoyances you would think of. They are not clean and dont even have towels or bed linen. If you dont care the party and do not mind seeing and hearing a rat, this is well located and very basic accomodation. On the other hand, if you want to enjoy the silence and peace of this beautiful island you are a lot better off further off the main beach. Ill rate the location to zero stars, but if you want to be located neart he parties, you might give it a fiver.

Room Tip: Try to get your place as high up as possible. View can be pretty nice,