“The Ultimate Way to Relax”
Review of GoldenEye

GoldenEye
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oracabessa
New York City, New York
“The Ultimate Way to Relax”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I consider myself a well-travelled New Yorker and I have to say that the experience at GoldenEye was above and beyond amazing. This property could not be more gorgeous, relaxing and authentic - and the level of service is seriously unparalleled. The prices are a tad high but COMPLETELY worth it. This is everything a vacation should be. Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Lagoon cottages are more peaceful; beach cottages have more energy to them.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Julie B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My wife and I recently got married and chose Goldeneye for our honeymoon.
We stayed there for 5 nights in the beginning of august and it was just the most amazing time.
Beyond any expectations.
We stayed in the lagoon suite which is the best for a honeymoon couple. Complete privacy. The house was surrounded by trees and had a pretty little garden with a hammock, and steps that go to the lagoon right from our porch. I loved that we were completely surrounded by nature. The house felt so cozy and comfortable I wanted to stay there forever.The two stories house was more than plenty of room for the two of us. Simple but beautiful deco.
Service was exceptional with such a friendly staff.
I loved it and will be back God willing.

1 Thank mmswagga
work
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I consider myself a well traveled person, but this is by far the most beautiful place I have ever been. The first time we were here in January 2012 we were so captivated by goldeneye that we were back in August of 2012, for the magic of the turtles,then again in August of 2013, for the adventure of a lifetime. Everytime we dive deeper into the culture and beauty that is surrounded by goldeneye, everything local, they eat what they grow, nothing commercial. The outdoor shower is by far my favorite, I love my visitors hummingbirds, butterflys, the flowers, hot rain shower, can't get enough. The food and of course the staff brings us back every year. Clayton leave the bridge lights on, we'll be back soon.

2 Thank jacko2312002
Atlantic Beach, Florida
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The most kind and friendly staff you can possibly imagine! The best massage and facial I have ever had. Our boys loved paddle boarding, swimming, snorkeling, nature walks, learning about coral reefs and getting to watch sea turtles hatch. The food is delicious. The rooms are spacious and perfectly comfortable with gorgeous outdoor showers, too. Seaside yoga was perfectly relaxing and our kids had a blast doing arts and crafts on the front porch. Goldeneye is definitely one of the most fun, most relaxing, and most friendly places!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank KAHH4
Philadelphia
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My husband and I spent our 8 day babymoon at Goldeneye in early August. It was the perfect place for it- low key yet super luxe. Firstly, it's not at all how you would picture a traditional Jamaican resort- it's very private and none of the 'touristy' crowd. The drive from the airport was 1.45...we stopped at a jerk place , think smokeys and it was the best jerk of the trip!

The resort is not huge,neither is the beach, but honestly with only 20 or so rooms and the lagoon in the mix, there is plenty to do. The water sports alone were an activity everyday for us and in the evenings we would walk around the property, past the spa and the Ian Fleming villa just to change things up. Here's some more info:

Rooms- since we had 8 night and I could not decide, we chose to do 4 nights in a lagoon cottage and 4 in a beach cottage. I am glad we did that! Even though the interior decor etc is very similar, the ambiance is completely different. We did the Lagoon first and it was just a delight being able to jump in....I didnt like the seagrass (slimy!) touching my feet so a pair of flippers from the watersports area solved that. There is no 'lounging' area in the interior of the cottage, so u have to pretty much always sit on the bed to watch TV etc. The bathroom was nice and the tub was great. We ended up using the outdoor deck a whole lot for all meals etc. and just lounging about during the day. The Beach cottage on the other hand had a lot more interior space and a fabulous day bed to lounge in...but I was kinda bummed by the bathroom situation. The tub and the sinks are literally right next to the bed which is kinda annoying coz if u are like me, the bathroom on vacay gets messy- swimsuits on floor, towels, toileteries etc and every night the bed would look so nice and crisp, but the bathroom clutter took away from the overall zen vibe. Small issue, but maybe just some nice white curtains would make it better. The outdoor shower was hands down one of the best I have enjoyed- beats Four Seasons Bora, Bali, Banyan Trees etc. It was huge- nearly 4 times the size of the one in the lagoon villa..nothing says outdoor shower like a hummingbird flying onto the branch next to you while you are shampooing! I did think the privacy factor was a bit lower in the beach outdoor shower as I could clearly see into the neighbors (there was no one in it) so asked the concierge to beef it up, and they did put some more plants etc, but still bit sketchy. But at that point in the trip i was so relaxed I didnt really care much. Overall, I think the lagoon villas are fantastic, much cheaper, not enough room to lounge inside though..the beach villa checks off all the marks but you can;t jump right into the lagoon. So it is a tough call on which to choose- if you can pull it off, would recommend trying both!

Food: Breakfast was an event- make sure you have it included in whatever rate you book. After spending pretty much an hr eating, lunch was something light at Bizot or room service (same menu as Bizot). That is the only option for lunch and same with dinner- menu from Gazebo. However we did do two private dinners- one at the peninsula jut out by the beach and one by bizot and picked the menu the day before and chef pretty much made us what we wanted. Goat curry is a must! We also did delivery from the local fried chicken place in town one evening and was a good change, they deliver right to the room!

Service: Fantastic for the Caribbean. For the most part the staff was very friendly and engaged...it;s a small resort so takes a bit for things to happen, but its vacation mon! Spa was OK..the set up is cute, the massage itself was not at par with the rest of the level of luxury, not bad, but just had high expectations given the rest of the resort is so super lux.

Activities: Water sports, beach, lagoon...enough to keep you busy, but we did take a few day tours. Firefly picnic was OK, don;t think i would do that unless you are really a history buff..outstanding views, but not sure it was worth the 2 hrs excursion. Ochos rios...very touristy, but a quick lunch there was ok..def. good to try the local patties. We also did Jamaica inn one night for dinner- my god, was I relieved we picked Goldeneye! There is just no comparison- GE is hip, luxurious and just pulled together...JI was packed, huge groups of people, very colonial, which is fine if thats what u are into, but no means the same level of class as Goldeneye. However, it was a nice change to try out the dinner there, but i was glad when we got back to our resort!

Goldeneye is truly an experience and if you are looking for understated luxury, this is the spot!

4 Thank LoveLuxuryHotels
Middletown, Delaware
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Some people say don't go to jamaica others say go...well i say if you have any doubts go to Goldeneye and you won't regret it!! this resort is beautiful and the most relaxing place I have every been. As soon as you get to the property and you pull in off the street it's like a whole new private little island of it's own. The staff here is incredible, they don't know how to say "no" and they are most helpful with anything you may need. As others have stated it's also nice b/c everyone that works there knows your name and is more than polite. We stayed in lagoon suite 8; was an amazing room being able to jump right out of bed into the lagoon from your bedroom is an unreal feeling. I was a bit worried about the outdoor shower thing but i found it to be one of my favority things! You can't go wrong with any of the rooms here at goldeneye. We did a private dinner for 2 at the ian flemming villa, if you don't mind spending some cash on a romantic evening this is amazing as you get your own personal chef and waitor for the evening as well as access to the villa during dinner. This place makes every dollar worth it and we will surely be back again!

Room Tip: lagoon suite 8 was awesome but you can't go wrong here!
3 Thank Brian V
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Spent 11 of the most relaxing, fun-filled days at Goldeneye in June 2013. The number 1 most special aspect is the staff who made our stay even more enjoyable. From the minute we arrived, everyone had a smile on their face and greeted you by name. I cannot thank all the staff for their hospitality and true kindness enough.

The property is roughly 1 1/2 hours away from Montego Bay or a short 20-30 min flight into Ian Fleming airport. We opted for the flight which was a great experience and setup directly though Goldeneye. I highly recommend it, the journey is half the fun. Passing through the gates, you immediately feel a sense of calm and upmost privacy. The property has a very causal, airy vibe and is kept very natural. Simply put, it's just a really cool place to be.

We opted for a lagoon suite (#8) which I would argue was the best spot to be. The suite, or a better word would be small cottage, cam equipped with all the amenities you would expect with a highly rated hotel and more: Comfortable bedding, a free standing tub, dual sinks, and outdoor shower (which may seem weird to some but I loved it). The open feeling of the room was great, but the best part was the French doors leading directly to 3 stairs right into the lagoon. We hung out on the private terrace each night which was by far my favorite place to relax. Lagoon suite 8 also comes with a private deck which we housed the kayaks and lounge chairs. Each gues gets their own kayak to explore the lagoon area which was another unique experience.

The beach is located a stones throw away from the lagoon suites and has a few small areas for lounge chairs...really simple and exactly what you want. Their are also two pools: small salt water situated on a private peninsula overlooking the beach and the main pool situated next to Bizot Bar(aka my favorite place on Earth...literally). Bizot bar is open for breakfast and lunch and in the evenings for cocktails. The bar itself plays the best music (radio Nova, reggae,etc) and serves up some mean cocktails. It's bar itself is open-air and has a funky, eclectic feel to it. The main restaurant is open only for dinner and we ate their every night (you can also get room service). After 11 days, we didn't get bored. The food at Goldeneye is top notch..it's really really good. Each dish hits right at home, always with a little Jamaican flair. The scotch bonnet and jerk butter alone will keep me coming back.

I think the 2 drawbacks that a few people mentioned are noteworthy but also completely out of the control of the staff. Yes, there are mosquitoes and yes you should apply a ton of repellent at night if, like me, mosquitoes love to bite you. Also, you can occasionally hear noise from the small town just up the road from the resort - I enjoyed the music but it never kept me up at night and never felt intrusive. If you let stuff like this bother you, don't come. More room for us!

I loved Goldeneye for its unique character, laid back cool vibe and most importantly for the people who make it so special. Can't wait to see you all again!!

• Stayed June 2013
7 Thank Goran G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oracabessa
Jamaica Inn
Sandals Royal Plantation
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to GoldenEye? Share your experiences!