I just returned from a long weekend at GoldenEye as a guest at my neice's destination wedding. I have been to Jamaica dozens of times and this resort really is the best for a relaxing getaway.
Setting - truly ideallic, peacefull, and clean
Lodging - the villas are really spacious, private, and well maintained
Service - the staff are friendly, helpful and always have a smile! (This is a true differentiator for a country that struggles with 'western' service standards)
Food - the food is very good. They prepare both local and western foods. The ackee & saltfish, coconut muffins, curry goat, and escoviche fish were among my favorites.
Man-made beach - it is very well maintained and raked each morning - but the sand is a bit thin in spots.
Distance from the airport - the drive from the Montego Bay airport is a solid 90+ minutes. I always thought the drive to Ocho Rios was long... this is 15 minutes further.
It should also be noted that this resort focuses on creating a peacefull and relaxing atmosphere and does not offer a ton of activities. They have a small spa, kayaks and paddleboards available and a sunset yoga class - but otherwise, your days will be spent lounging by one of the two infinity pools or beach with a cool drink by your side. So... it's great for couples looking for a romantic getaway, it's good for young children, and NOT so good for teenage kids and those looking for reggae parties and beach volleyball.
It is not an all-inclusive model - only breakfast is included in the room price.
Overall, I can't say enough great things about GoldenEye. My wife and I have put it on our list of favorite vacation spots and promised ourselves to return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- GoldenEye Hotel & Resort overlooks the Caribbean Sea in the quiet village of Oracabessa Bay on Jamaica’s north coast. Named after one of Ian Fleming’s World War II missions, Operation GoldenEye, this Island Outpost property is owned by Chris Blackwell, Jamaica-raised founder of Island Records. The stunning 52-acre property is home to secret coves, breathtaking private beaches, tropical forests and a singular lagoon. There are 49 stand-alone Beach Huts, Lagoon Cottages and Beach and Lagoon Villas, as well as Fleming Villa, designed by Fleming, himself. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your GoldenEye reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Goldeneye Hotel Oracabessa
- Goldeneye Hotel Ocho Rios
- Goldeneye Resort Ocho Rios
- GoldenEye Jamaica/Oracabessa