“Wow... Really amazing.”
Review of GoldenEye

GoldenEye
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oracabessa
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I just returned from a long weekend at GoldenEye as a guest at my neice's destination wedding. I have been to Jamaica dozens of times and this resort really is the best for a relaxing getaway.

Pros:
Setting - truly ideallic, peacefull, and clean
Lodging - the villas are really spacious, private, and well maintained
Service - the staff are friendly, helpful and always have a smile! (This is a true differentiator for a country that struggles with 'western' service standards)
Food - the food is very good. They prepare both local and western foods. The ackee & saltfish, coconut muffins, curry goat, and escoviche fish were among my favorites.

Minor negatives:
Man-made beach - it is very well maintained and raked each morning - but the sand is a bit thin in spots.
Distance from the airport - the drive from the Montego Bay airport is a solid 90+ minutes. I always thought the drive to Ocho Rios was long... this is 15 minutes further.

It should also be noted that this resort focuses on creating a peacefull and relaxing atmosphere and does not offer a ton of activities. They have a small spa, kayaks and paddleboards available and a sunset yoga class - but otherwise, your days will be spent lounging by one of the two infinity pools or beach with a cool drink by your side. So... it's great for couples looking for a romantic getaway, it's good for young children, and NOT so good for teenage kids and those looking for reggae parties and beach volleyball.

It is not an all-inclusive model - only breakfast is included in the room price.

Overall, I can't say enough great things about GoldenEye. My wife and I have put it on our list of favorite vacation spots and promised ourselves to return!

Room Tip: Beach side for the views. Lagoon side for the serenity.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cluesct

Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at GoldenEye to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was our 6th trip to Jamaica, but our first to GoldenEye. It will not be our last visit. We LOVED this place! The service was top notch, the villa was spectacular and the food was consistently delicious. it felt like we were back on our honeymoon (Maldives). Can't wait to see Clayton and the rest of our extended Jamaican family at GoldenEye again next year.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lou D
Ricardo B, General Manager at GoldenEye, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Lou D:

Thank you so much for the great review.

We are thrilled that your expectations were met on your first stay at GoldenEye.

Your comments on the food, service and the staff are truly rewarding for us and i will be passing them on to the Team.

Once again, we're thrilled you chose to spend your Anniversary with us and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

After spending $300 for a dinner for two at the resort I left saying "what did i pay for" exactly. In the United States $300 for a dinner for two would be a very nice upscale dining experience.
Here...not so much.
Food was overpriced and adequate but not delicious.
I ordered the bread pudding and it came in a baking dish too hot to eat for well over 10 minutes.
If you are going to charge high prices for food the quality should be unquestionable.
I have been here before for dinner and had a good experience - this time not so much.
Need improvement.
The service staff was incredible....so if you don't like tasty food or food is not important to you...it will be fine.

Room Tip: Keep you expectations low for the food quality vs. the prices
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Dee J
Ricardo B, General Manager at GoldenEye, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Valued guest:

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and it was a delight to serve you again.

We are disappointed that on this visit the food did not exceed your expectations. We will be sharing your comments with the Chefs and F&B Team so that they will make the necessary adjustments.

Again it was a pleasure hosting you.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I'm a fan of James Bond and Ian Fleming and so I wanted to see this place. We booked a table for lunch and were able enter the property for free. We had a lovely lunch - a delicious fresh grilled fish, which was reasonably priced, not too expensive. However, I was very disappointed with the place. The place was faux fancy, and had an uncomfortable feel of a fantasy, artificial island. I was also disappointed that I didn't get to see Ian Fleming's house. I had requested to see it but they weren't too keen and helpful. There are no guarantees that you would be able to view the house during your visit. However, it is available for rent for several thousand $ per day.

Room Tip: We didn't stay here. Just went to check it out.
Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MidlifeF
Ricardo B, General Manager at GoldenEye, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Viajera:

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to host you at GoldenEye for a day whilst you were visiting in Jamaica.

We appreciate all feedback as this allows us a better insight into our guests experience and expectations.

The GoldenEye team is disappointed that on your visit with us your experience was not met by the essence and value of our product and service which we try to create for a varied clientèle.

We aim to exceed our guests expectations in our service delivery and our product presentation and extend our sincerest apologies for your disappointment.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Brought my beautiful wife down for her birthday and had a spectacular time. Recommend flying in by helicopter to resort from Sangster International. Great way to see island and coastline. Cuts the commute to resort by an hour or more. Greeted by Nadia, the Operations Manager. She will take care of your every need. The lagoon villas are great. Doors open off the room and you can dive into blue warm water. Very comfortable bed and surroundings. Wifi all over resort for work and sending pictures back to the kids. The food was the best that I have ever had at a resort.
Local Jamaican fare to die for! As I'm writing this post, still at resort and cannot wait for lunch. Curry goat with vegetables and bed of rice, followed by Blackwell rum and soda with a squeeze of lime. Outstanding.! Highly recommend Golden Eye in all aspects. Will bring kids here on next trip. Quiet, secluded, and most important , relaxing!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Lydell T
Ricardo B, General Manager at GoldenEye, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

We are delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us and thank you for the great review!

We look forward to creating an experience of a lifetime when you return next trip with your children.

Again, thank you for the lovely review.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I choose this place for our honeymoon in our four island hopping trip.
This was our first stop on our trip (2013, Nov). Arrived late at night, at around 10pm (Jamaican time) after a 14hrs flight from Sweden, was driven to Goldeneye by the driver who was appointed to us by our travel agent. We were greeted with this delicious pineapple and rum cocktail, wjile filling out the paperwork. After that we were taken to our room, and we just crashed, we were so tried.

In the morning, I had woken up my husband after I gave out a rather loud scream. The scream was due to the incredible view. The crystal clear lagoon with fishes just swimming outside. I had to go for a swim and so did my husband. Later it was time for breakfast, with the never ending view out into the ocean. There were lots to choose from, but I did fall im love with the planteen porridge with honey and coconut. With the main dish of achee and fish.

We did visit Oracabessa for a day, and brought some rum to take home, but other than that we were just hanging out in the hotel and just chilling.

We visited the Ian Fleming Villa. It was nice, and spacious, but our villa jad the lagoon, and I like that better that the beach houses and Ian Fleming Villa.

One of the evenings, we ordered food from a local place owned by a lad named Chris (20min walk) near Goldeneye, were the locals buy food from (or that is what we saw and was told). We paid ca 60$ for food for about 4people. It was delicious.

If this was the last place on our trip, it would have been devastating, since I wouldn't want to go home.

This place is must for honeymooners or for anyone wanting to relax...

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Pieced2gether

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your great comments!

It was a pleasure hosting you and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Goldeneye is wonderful. I almost don't want to let the secret out. The setting is beautiful, the ambience wonderful, the staff engaged and friendly, and the soundtrack is to die for. The rooms are spacious and elegant. We had a lagoon villa with a deck straight over the water and kayaks for our personal use. The food is also great. A lunchtime dish of whole fish coated in jerk spices and served on a bed of salad was standout. And they do a mean margarita, complete with scotch bonnet chilli. The one thing that was missing was a gym. But if you need to wear off some of that eating, Rhod does a mean dynamic core class on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Room Tip: The lagoon villas may not get a sea view but give you direct access to the water from your own priva...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alison_Albany
Ricardo B, General Manager at GoldenEye, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful review on our Property (GoldenEye), the staff and the food.

We strive to go above and beyond to meet the expectations of you our valued guests.

It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great your stay was.

Regards,
Ricardo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oracabessa
Jamaica Inn
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to GoldenEye? Share your experiences!