My husband discovered Tamarind house around 2006, when we took the long drive from St Elizabeth to St Mary, Ocho Rios. The road was very bad, but I think we were used to it as the road was similar to where we were based. The thing to remember is not to be put off by the road, as it is worth every bump. But once we had arrived at Tamarind House, we were blown away by the beauty and the absolute peacefulness of this place. We were greeted by Gill and Barry, who were so friendly and welcoming. We got on immediately.
The grand entrance is a sight to behold and almost reminds you of the house in 'Gone with the Wind', there are these beautiful stairs that look so spectacular. At Christmas with the lights and Christmas tree, it is simply stunning. The bedrooms are large comfortable very clean and spacious. You are sure to get a good night sleep.
The food was excellent. Gill is a great cook. One of the great features of Tamarind House is that literally everything you eat at Tamarind House is sourced on the premises, i.e. Fruits, vegetables, Tilapia Fish and many more.
The grounds are well maintained and it was just nice to walk around or even sit by the swimming pool.
Tamarind House is a must for us every time we visit Jamaica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We offer our guests at Tamarind a unique environmentally-friendly setting providing luxury accommodation at very affordable prices. Secluded waterfalls, plantation tours, James Bond Beach and Noel Coward's Firefly are only a few of the nearby attractions. Ocho Rios is a 30 minute drive, with its varied activities, such as botanical gardens, the famous Dunn's River Falls, Dolphin Cove as well as Mystic Mountain tree top tours. Of course there are lots of restaurants and duty free shopping, as well as a large local craft market. Tamarind Great House is built on the site of an original planters estate, first built in the 18th century. The house has solid wooden floors from locally sourced trees throughout the downstairs, with antiques and locally made furniture to enhance the feel of colonial Jamaica. Our guests enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of Tamarind, with its spacious bedrooms and large balconies. Our 13 acre farm produces fresh organic fruits and vegetables used in our kitchen. The road to Tamarind is a Jamaican country road, and the scenery to the house shows you every side of the real Jamaica. We are an owner run guest house, therefore catering personally to your requests. Away from the main road, a relaxed and safe setting, surrounded by verdant hills, tropical flora and fauna. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com and HostelWorld so you can book your Tamarind Great House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamarind Great House Hotel Oracabessa
- Tamarind Great House Jamaica/Oracabessa