This place felt like we were in "the real Jamaica" after 7 days at an all inclusive concrete mall of a resort. the drive up the hill is amazing ( and somewhat treacherous!) and when we arrived we felt immediately at home. Gillian and Barry have done an amazing job with teh place- everywhere you look there is beauty, natural jungle, gardens, small sculptural 'moments' and the amazing air and colors of Jamaica. Gillian greeted us in bare feet, always a good sign- and gave us fresh squeezed orange juice and direction to 2 beautiful walks- up a magnificent ridge with amazing sights of jungle, cows, spiders and birds, and the other to a river leading to a waterfall. too cold to climb that day but Barry said there are two pools on the river- one 3 ft deep! They farm the land for mangoes, lettuces, oranges, herbs, lettuces, chickens, and coconuts so the food Gillian prepare was amazing. Living in Chicago we have paid much more for much less in quality and quantity and the room was beautiful and clean in a lovely romantic setting. Drinks on the veranda with the mountains and stars behind and a lovely pool that would have made for a delightful late night swim were the temperature a tad warmer. I kept envisioning yoga sessions with a view of the mountains, a sail with Barry out of Oracabessa and days of walks and conversations. Our only regret was having only one night to spend. Intimate but not isolated, an easy drive up the hills to a place that seems out of this world.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We offer our guests at Tamarind a unique environmentally-friendly setting providing luxury accommodation at very affordable prices. Secluded waterfalls, plantation tours, James Bond Beach and Noel Coward's Firefly are only a few of the nearby attractions. Ocho Rios is a 30 minute drive, with its varied activities, such as botanical gardens, the famous Dunn's River Falls, Dolphin Cove as well as Mystic Mountain tree top tours. Of course there are lots of restaurants and duty free shopping, as well as a large local craft market. Tamarind Great House is built on the site of an original planters estate, first built in the 18th century. The house has solid wooden floors from locally sourced trees throughout the downstairs, with antiques and locally made furniture to enhance the feel of colonial Jamaica. Our guests enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of Tamarind, with its spacious bedrooms and large balconies. Our 13 acre farm produces fresh organic fruits and vegetables used in our kitchen. The road to Tamarind is a Jamaican country road, and the scenery to the house shows you every side of the real Jamaica. We are an owner run guest house, therefore catering personally to your requests. Away from the main road, a relaxed and safe setting, surrounded by verdant hills, tropical flora and fauna. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HostelWorld, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Tamarind Great House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamarind Great House Hotel Oracabessa
- Tamarind Great House Jamaica/Oracabessa