“Great place for a family holiday.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Ouen
Discovery Bay Beach Suites
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Excellent location on the surfers beech with a great apartment a stones throw away.well kept apartment with small kitchen and dining area and lounge area in lobby.would stay again as good valve for jersey.also great dinner attached to apartments with large portions at reasonable prices.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank thomas'stravel

Reviewed 15 November 2011

I have read the other reviews from september, when i stayed for two weeks. The first week we stopped in a family group of four in the balcony apartment over the restaurant. I must apologise for the hair on the brush mentioned on the other review, that will have been me!!! Lol. The apartment did have the problems mentioned in the other review such as the smells and lacking basics that are usually supplied even in self catering, however i must say that the views and location are fantastic and i had no complaints about discovery bay. I usually stop at la rocco down the road and in comparison discovery is much better value and the apartments are much larger and more comfortable. I must say though i did eat at big verns one night and it was awful, the worst meal i had in two weeks, sorry!! However these apartments are a great base, the staff in the apartments were very friendly and i will be back for two weeks in 2012!! There is also plenty of parking and i wasnt woken by any planes going over head.

• Stayed: September 2011
5  Thank KLP1122
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We stayed at the end of August for a surfing week with three teenagers, and the location is absolutely ideal as we could store the surboards next to the appartment ( appt 1) as seperate patio. The appartment was very clean light and airy and modern, and would have been ideal but for the unfortunate fact that the terrace is effectively shared with appart from a wooden fence with the kitchen and staff area. The staff appeared to be consumate smokers, and whilst friendly this all drfited into the patio doors of our teenagers bedroom. So we had to keep closed, and then it became a sauna in the day as no ventilation. Whilst I accept the staff have to have a smoke break, it is not my problem when I am paying a £1000 a week to have to share it with them. My gran died from smoke inflicted diseases so I am not sympathetic.

Any non smokers would be very wise to avoid this particular appartment, which is a shame as it is the largest with two bathrooms and easily accomodates a family of 6 ( we were 5) .

As observed by another guest/review the water pressure would barely have been enough to give an ant an adequate shower, and it is nonsense to say this is down to the channel islands, as we live in Guernsey and the water pressure is prefectly adequate and of course in this day and age, a pressurised hot water system is available for any property and in any event these appartments as at sea level and the reservoir is on higher ground at least 200 feet above, giving a good head of water.

I suggest you employ a plumber, a good plumber to rectify. Also try and find a better location for the staff smoking area, perhaps a table by the beach ! it would also be a good idea to get the staff in an idle moment to do a general tidy of the common by the side, and old 'cig' ends and general junk, which we had to walk past every day, was not edifying.

Ventilation in the bathrroms, unfortunately brought in cooking smells rather than dispersed the steam, and cooking/ kitchen smells were generally apparent at all times.

Could have been a few more glasses, one each for the week was a bit restricting. Any wine doesnt go well in a tumbler!

On the positive side- the proximity of big verns restaurant is handy, and good food, and friendly with a superb sea bass.

Despite the above, we would book again, because of surf location, but would not relish the smoke!

Room Tip: not on the side of the restaurant back door.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Kaggie6773
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Not to start this review on the negative, we were delighted when we arrived at St. Ouens Bay as the area is stunning and the reception area of the Discovery Bay Beach Suites was clean and fresh, and obviously had been refurbished very recently. However, having been shown to our accommodation, it soon became apparent that our ‘6 berth Vista Apartment’ was not quite as it had been advertised. For example; the bath panel was held on with sticky tape; the shower tray leaked and flooded; there was no soap in the bathroom and only one toilet roll (I had to ask for another on the Tuesday to be told servicing was a Wednesday although I was eventually provided with one!), the water pressure and temperature were so low that we had to boil the kettle to wash the pots; we couldn't wash any pots or clean until we had been shopping as there was no cleaning equipment (the cloth and scourer provided looked like they had been there for months and were filthy); when it rained we had to put a saucepan under the extractor fan in the kitchen to collect leaking water and when we told the Manager, he said it had been the same the year before! We also had to stuff a towel in the front window as the gaps were so big the wind and cold whistled in every night. Had there been more than two of us, we would have had to sit in a line on the balcony as there just would not have been room, and one person would have had to drag a kitchen chair out as there were only 3 folding chairs provided. There was no vacuum cleaner, only a sweeping brush that had more hairs and dust stuck to it that I just couldn't bring myself to use it. The balcony was directly above the kitchen area of the diner below which meant not only did we get the racket from the bins being filled constantly, we also had the pleasure of cigarette smoke coming into the apartment when the staff had their smoke breaks. The attention to detail in this accommodation was very lacking and despite making a complaint about the leaking extractor fan, it was never looked at or followed up. Although the Manager was a very personable young man, we got the impression that he was very inexperienced and not really sure what to do when we asked questions or for extra supplies. All in all a very disappointing stay. I wouldn't want to say the apartment was awful but for nearly £1000 for the week, it was certainly not worth anything like the money charged. A real shame.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SportBillySheffield
discovery_bay_jersey, Owner at Discovery Bay Beach Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2011

Firstly may I say how disappointed we are in this review. The week of your stay the weather was absolutely terrible, rain, winds west, south-west, north-west up to gale force 5-7 and fog (air show cancelled first time ever due to the appalling weather) The apartments sit facing the Atlantic ocean facing west. Winds west 5-7 and south-west, north-west all week.
We have just spend £400.000 having a refurbishment like any building works you never find out how good they are until extreme weather. So let us please try put some facts to your letter in a positive way. When we, Discovery Bay sell the apartment it is a 4 berth which can sleep up to 6, normally this mean adults and children, we have done so in the past, and had no complaints.
1. Bath panel – I can only apologize that this has not been brought to my attention, after the plumber fitted it, it has fallen of and my cleaner in her way of trying to help has fix it, this is most regrettable. This will be put right ASAP.
2. Shower tray flooded – this has never happened before and never been brought to our attention. Why did you not inform us so we could have put it right (we have asked the people who are in there now if there is a problem and they say everything is ok)
3. No soap, no toilet roll – we are self-catering apartments which means self catering, you cater for your self. We will of course help i.e. Provide toilet roll, soap etc to get started. Along with welcoming packs which consists of bread, ham, cheese, eggs, milk and butter. And we always help out in any way if asked.
4. Water pressure – I agree it is low and the water runs slowly, this is jersey it’s a small island and as stated we are on the beautiful west cost (¼ of the island of jersey is still on bore hole water) we will always struggle to have facilities of the mainland. Some people find this one of the quaint pleasures of visiting Jersey. Water temperature not sure of that as no one has ever brought it to our attention and again you yourselves did not ask us about it.
5. Have spoken to the cleaner who is there every day apart from Sundays, she has informed me that at the end of each week after people have left she throw’s out any dirty scourers cloth etc. This may have been over looked and I can only apologize once again.
6. Yes totally agree about extractor fan as we have already stated until you get extreme weather you do not find out how good or bad the building work has been. We contacted the builder and we were informed that as soon as the winds die down he will look at the situation. It has now been dealt with. I have asked Kris the manager if this is what he said “it was the same as last year” as he was not working here last year, he would not know. If he did please accept again my apologies for being misinformed.
7. Widows – again I can only apologize. We were informed during the restoration it had been fixed and they were water and wind tight. Again this will be passed on to the people responsible for fixing the windows.
8. Sitting in a line on a balcony – sorry but do not get this one. The apartment might not be huge but you can move the dinning table and chairs to one side (do not known why any one would want to sit in every night when there is so much to see and do in Jersey, unless the weather is atrocious) There is a bed settee and two armchairs also four fold up chairs.
9. Vacuum cleaner is provided you only have to ask the cleaner, and she would either clean it herself or would have given you the vacuum cleaner. She asked you every morning if everything was ok and your response was everything is fine. Brush with hair on etc. cannot find it but again if this right I can only apologize, this will never be the case again. There is also a service clean every Wednesday.
10. The bins and your photographs – The second shot you have taken, The photograph is of a working area of a very busy restaurant which is like any other busy restaurant in the world (next time you go to your local restaurant ask to have a look at the bin area) We have also tried to hide the area by erecting a fence at both sides. The stairs that lead down to this area is an emergency exit stairway which should only be used in an emergency. So there is no real access to the public. 5th photograph (again is a working area) empty bread basket over the wall I agree they should be stacked neatly over the other side of the wall and I can assure you that in future they will. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. As for staff smoking again in a working area there is nothing we can do to stop them smoking, please accept my apologies as I could not agree with you more about the smell of people smoking cigarettes. At the moment this is the only place we can find as they have to have smoking area.
11. Attention to detail of apartment, you are the first since our refurbishment to say the lack of detail, very sorry to hear this but I think once again due to your very unfortunate week weather wise I think you were not in the best frame of mind, however we will look at this very closely and take on board what you have said.
12. To Kris manager – once again I can only apologise for him not being helpful finding cleaning products. Kris and I have had a good long chat and will take all the positives from your constructive criticisms.

To sum up, I’m very sadden that your stay was not what you expected and also that the weather was abysmal. Since we have had the refurbishment yours has been the only bad feed back we’ve had. I’m very sorry this has happened and can assure you every issue you have raised will be dealt with.

Yours Sincerely

P.D McBride
(Owner)

Reviewed 12 June 2011

We have just recently returned from our stay at the Discovery bay apartments.On arrival we were met by the owner who very kindly upgraded our accomodation to a larger apartment stating that the allocated apartment would have been too small for four adults(we never got to see our allocated rooms so we are not able to make any comparison).
First impressions where that it was vey nice and clean with all mod cons and beautiful views. On the whole the accomodation was rather average as with other peoples reviews things have not been improved, minimal cooking impllements provided, no utensills,tin opener or corkscrew! and just a few basic pots and pans, and odd numbers of crockery.
The fridge did work but the freezer compartment was broken, the water pressure is still very low,took ages to fill the kettle to wash up with as the water was only luke warm as the diswasher and washing machine where still not working although both in situ.
Tiles on the floor looked like they had been broken but on futher inpection you could see that the cracks followed a fault line throughout the apartment. The bathroom had holes in the tiles where things had been removed and not replaced.
The seating as stated in previous reviews still remained poor, if all four of us stayed in during the evening only two could sit on the sofa leaving the others to sit on the dining room chairs. Rubbish bin too small,but they did provide tea towels.
On a more positive note, the curtains were brilliant (no stopper on the main lounge curtain so when they were drawn in the morning they shot straght off the end!) Good quality kept the light out. Good quality towels and a nice touch providing gowns.
The house keeper however was very helpful, providing us with more tea towles dish cloths and evening doing our washing!
There was nobody on reception during the whole time we where there,although we bumped into the owner more by luck than jugement. The potential for these appartments is good however we think that their needs to be more attention to detail to sort out the niggly things.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank sulane
Reviewed 16 September 2010

This was our seventh annual trip to Jersey and our first stay at the Discovery Bay Apartments. The location, St Ouens Bay, is absolutely wonderful and very peaceful. The beach is on your doorstep and behind the accommodation is a small, pretty nature reserve. The apartment, however, is not ideal. There are no windows in the main bedroom which make it very stuffy. You can leave your balcony door open in the night if you stay on the second floor but not on the ground floor. There were lots of niggly things wrong with the accommodation - the TV wasn't tuned in properly and the picture was dreadful, there was no washing up liquid, one toilet roll was supplied, only one small bin bag was supplied, the salt and pepper pots were empty, the kitchen tap dripped, the fridge was turned right down on our arrival and we didn't notice until the next day, after buying a weeks worth of food, when we went to use the butter (now liquid) and there was no hot water for the shower on two of the mornings. It is such a shame because this could be a very nice place to stay but the attention to detail is not there. I would like to offer a word of warning - there were only 2 adults staying on this occasion and this was just comfortable. There was a previous review where the cramped conditions were mentioned. I wholeheartedly agree - this apartment has a second bedroom with a bunk bed and a sofa bed in the living room/kitchen. If there were 4 adults and 2 children staying here it would be extremely claustrophobic. There are 4 dining chairs supplied but you would have to move the table every time you wanted to eat and I can't see how four people could physically sit around such a small table. There is a two-seater sofabed so everyone else would have to sit on dining chairs but there is barely room to put them anywhere. The balcony is only suitable for 2 people. Two folding chairs and a folding table are supplied but trying to fit these three items and two people on the balcony was impossible - there just isn't room. I noted the previous review mentioning the noise of aircraft but I have to report that we didn't hear anything. I found it to be a very quiet location and noise was not an issue for us. We were on the opposite side to the flight path which may explain this. During our stay there was a sudden swarm of thousands of flies that came in to the rooms causing total chaos for a while. Eventually this was resolved with a can of communal fly spray and the hoover and was, in fact, quite funny and just a little bit Fawlty Towers! I wish the owners would work on the details of this accommodation as it has the potential to be a great place to spend some time on this wonderful island.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mjb40
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Just got back from staying at the Discovery Bay apartments- I am really missing listening to the sound of the ocean. We had a fab time and had no problems with noise as stated previously. The kids and I loved the accessibility of the beach. My husband- a keen bird watcher- disappeared whenever possible to the nature reserve across the road where he saw marsh harriers most days and best views of water rails he has ever had.We lover Big Verns downstairs but also ate in. The kitchen was fine for straightforward meals and I wouldnt normally do washing on holiday so the lack of washing machine wasnt a problem. We are about to book for next year.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank suehyde

Been to Discovery Bay Beach Suites? Share your experiences!