“Big disappointment ”
Review of Green Owl Canteen - CLOSED

Green Owl Canteen
Description: Our dishes are all prepared using the freshest and finest ingredients and locally sourced where possible. Everything is made from scratch from our patisseries to our classic pizzas, and cooked in our state-of-the-art kitchen. We are Vegan and vegetarian friendly !
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

I was excited when this place opened, it looks good but that’s where the positives end. Staff have no idea, simple questions like the flavour of cake cannot be answered. Service very slow.

When I ordered a slice of banana cake, waitress returned to say that I couldn’t have it because they couldn’t cut it and it was all stuck together. Worst part was my latte which was like muddy runny water.

Pity.

1  Thank -Nic_vV-
Marc L, Owner at Green Owl Canteen, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Hi Nic,

Please could you email me at marc@greenowlcafe.co.uk with some more detail regarding your experience as this is something I would like to investigate further.

I would certainly not expect any member of our team to respond to a request for any of our freshly baked cakes in the way that you have described. All the cakes are labelled on mini blackboards in front of them, with full descriptions and ingredients and therefore there is no reason for such simple questions not to be answered. I have never experienced a situation where we are unable to serve cake for any reason, and It is bizarre that you would have been given this reason, and therefore I would particularly like to get to the bottom of this.

I would also like to know why your coffee was prepared incorrectly as we are only using the finest freshly roasted arabica coffee beans and use a traditional expresso machine which normally produces coffee to a very high standard, to which the overwhelming majority of our loyal customers enjoy very much.

Please always do let us know if something is not right during your visit so that if you are unhappy with a coffee etc we can prepare you another one.

Sometimes we do get requests for weaker coffee, extra strong etc and we will always try to accommodate such requests.

I look forward to hearing from so that the issues you raised can be addressed and that we can offer you a repeat visit on us to sample our cake and a proper coffee.

regards

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

I purchased 2 sandwiches & 2 drinks and the bill came to nearly £30. When you go to a boutique cafe you expect to pay top dollar but you also expect a decent feed. I bought the Reuben sandwich which was just short of £9 and it was awful, the beef which was described as brisket was dry and flavourless and very fatty whilst the bread was as tough as old boots accompanied by a lonely looking small bunch of salad leaves on the side. I did inform the waitress but all she could do was tell the kitchen staff to do better in the future & offered me no discount or replacement. I left the Green Owl cafe feeling like i’d been involved in some kind of day light robbery.

1  Thank dannydicanio
Marc L, Owner at Green Owl Canteen, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Hi Danny,

Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at the Green Owl Canteen. I will look into this as a matter of urgency in order to ensure that the quality of all our dishes meet the very high standards that we expect. Please could you contact me at marc@greenowlcafe.co.uk with more details regarding your visit, and I would also like to make this right for you on your next visit.

Regards

Reviewed 8 June 2018

This new eatery has only recently opened but all the sure-footed signs of a caring, food-focused and professional operation are there: an imaginative menu, gorgeous (and very fresh) ingredients and everything, including the patisseries are cooked in the kitchen fresh every day. It's not cheap, but if you want cheap there are plenty of options around. If you want a homemade gourmet burger with smoked scamorza cheese, rocket, tomato and salse verde, there's only the Canteen. Then there's the decor - light and airy with a great sense of space - and the hanging green plants work the green theme in very naturally (no pun intended). If I'm in that neck of the woods again, I'll make a detour to eat at the Canteen. Sadly you don't come across these kinds of places too often outside of London, more's the pity.

1  Thank Lowcarbfoodie
Reviewed 7 June 2018

Popped in for lunch, it was buzy with a great menu. Ordered the shackshuka, very authentic. Will come back in the evening with my family, would def recommend.

1  Thank PGlad
Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

Went there with wife and children we had the pizza which was raw and I mean dough in middle not cooked at all. Toasted chess’s sandwich £8.95 greasy and just a sandwich no side salad or anything and a cold breakfast. And cold toast. When I notified staff they said ok not good enough sorry ..

Marc L, Owner at Green Owl Canteen, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

Hi,

Thanks for your review.

I'm sorry that your experience was as you described, and clearly as you say, this is not good enough.

Please could you get in touch with me directly by email at marc@greenowlcanteen.co.uk with a bit more information regarding your visit and some contact details in order that I can fully investigate this and I would like to have the opportunity to make this right for you on your next visit.

regards