“Relaxing”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bine el Ouidane
London, United Kingdom
“Relaxing”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Upgraded our room for more space, and extended our stay by two days as the weather got better and we wanted to make the most of it.

Enjoyed the Thai and Balinese massages - the masseuses gave 120% ! A fab example of Thai massage.

The pool was cold, but very refreshing. The Chicken, lemon and olive tagine delicious.

A 15 min taxi ride on Wednesday took us to a great local market - full of different sections for different things. Negotiate hard with the taxi - ridiculous starting price, once there there are lots of taxis for the return trip.

There is building work, but it is unobtrusive, and the towels as mentioned are not 100%, but its not dirty. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

It is a beautiful location by the lake, not much to do, which is a good thing.....

Room Tip: It is rather confusing of which rooms are where - there are some nice balcony areas, but not sure if...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank jpandarecco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Our recent stay at the Widiane was great, but the hotel is not without it's shortcomings.

Positives: Beautiful location, beautiful landscaping & gardens, extraordinarily friendly staff.
Negatives: The room, some construction & landscaping.

Much like (It seemed) everyone there, we had bought a groupon for our stay. I think this made the trip worthwhile.

The room was not very good. To detail everything wrong with it would be far too tedious, but the negatives covered the areas of linens, maintenance, and design/decor (I did leave an extensive comment with the hotel). We did not request a room change as, in my experience, these problems likely wouldn't/couldn't have been solved by a switch. Thus, we decided to make the best of our time there.

The hotel is in the process of completing a second pool near the lake. There is construction going on near the upper pool, and I imagine that the noisiness of that ebbs and flows depending on the phase -- it was noticeable, but quiet during our stay. The lake-area building is also not completely finished yet -- they appear to be doing some decorating.

The staff were very friendly and they certainly made the stay worthwhile. The service could be slow (think "island time") at times, but we really had nowhere else to be. They were overall very friendly and saved my rating from being "terrible" to "poor" based on the quality of the room. The staff/management went above and beyond, which allowed for us to make some great memories.

The exercise room has nice equipment (though I'm not expert), but they could use more amenities there.

The food was fine and we found the prices reasonable compared to home (Sweden), but expensive for Morocco. Some of the portions were small. The menu would benefit from some more exciting selections, though the number of selections seems adequate. The breakfast (buffet) was quite extensive and filling.

Overall, we wanted this to be a nice trip, so we had a positive attitude and enjoyed ourselves. If you're looking to put forth less effort, Lake Como may be a better option.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Just returned from a four day trip with Groupon. A beautiful hotel in a stunning location . Although a journey of three and half hours from airport it is well worth it. The journey gives you the opportunity to see parts of Marrakesh, stunning country side and an idea into how lives are lived, taking you back in time. On arrival received a warm welcome by friendly professional staff, who over our stay were very obliging. The hotel and grounds were very clean and maintained to a high standard. Within our package we received two treatments again carried out by friendly professional staff, but would advise that you have the scrub before catching too much sun!! We also had a fun cookery lesson which did involve lots of chopping, but was great to plate up your own prepared food which was served to you later in the day. A lovely friendly place to escape to for a few days

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank KJB2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2012

A stunning hotel a beautiful location and well worth traveling out from Marrakesh for. We stayed for 3 nights through groupon and paid for an upgrade which was worth it, the room was stunning and we had fantastic views over the lake and mountains. There was building works at the hotel but it didn't effect our stay. We did the guided walk, boat ride and the Thai massage all were very good. Some reviews mentioned the quality of the food but all of our meals were lovely (beef tagine, Morrocan Veg, fish tagine, meatball tagine, there was a great variety at breakfast which we enjoyed everyday on the balcony. We found the staff very polite and pleasant.

Thanks for making our honeymoon very special.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LindsyJames
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This is a beautiful hotel in a stunning location, it is a real shame that the experience is not as amazing as the location!

LOCATION 10/10
My husband and I stayed here after buying a voucher through groupon, when we arrived at the hotel after a long 3 and a half hour drive from Marrakech airport we were taken aback by the stunning location.

ROOMS 9/10
The hotel rooms are very nice, clean and modestly decorated. The beds are comfortable. The only downsides are the heating/ air conditioning can get smelly (drainage smell) at times, and also the number of steps we had to climb to get to our room made it a struggle at times! Worth it for the view we had from our balcony though. Oh and also our room (superior) did not have a double bed- not many do from what other guests were saying- it had 2 singles, side by side.

FOOD 6/10
The menu is very limited, the lunchtime and evening menus are the same and do not offer great variety. We were bored after having tried most of the dishes by day 4! Some of the dishes are also bland/tasteless. The vegetarian lasagne is a joke, the size of a doughnut and served without any sides! In my opinion there were not enough 'traditional' style dishes, and even the ones we did have were not all that great, I have eaten tastier Moroccan food at UK restaurants!

ACTIVITIES 6/10
Those advertised on the groupon deal are all available but a little bit of a let down. The massage (we had the balinese) only lasted 35 mins, the boat trip around half an hour- guide/driver spoke no English or French, the scrub was 'weird' - not done in a steam room as it should be! We did not do the trek. The cooking class involved a lot of chopping and I didn't learn anything I didn't already know.

CUSTOMER SERVICE 7/10
We had 2 issues whilst we were there, one was to do with the food one evening- my vege tagine tasted like vegtables boiled in water, I couldn't eat it so the manager on duty offered me a replacement or any other dish on the menu :).
On the day of our departure the card machines were not working so we were not able to complete payment. The manager on duty wanted us to leave our card details, INCLUDING pin number so that they could take payment at a later date! We refused and she did not like this, saying we had no reason not to trust the hotel blah blah... anyway, after about an hour or so of useless suggestions (we asked whether there was a cashpoint nearby, she said the nearest was a 15min drive and WE could get a cab if we wanted!- as if it was our fault!), between 4 'managers' they managed to get the machine working and we were on our way. Because of the fact we were delayed by an hour, we asked them to 'do something to compensate' and one of the managers offered us a free packed lunch for our journey- which then took them a further 30mins to organise!
The staff at the hotel are generally okay but there is an air of arrogance about the managers. They seem to think that if anything goes wrong, the customer is at fault- you don't get the feeling they want to 'look after you'. We made a few friends during our stay and each had there own story to tell!

OVERALL 7/10
As I stated in the title, the hotel should be a 5*, it is beautiful and we will miss the view of the mountains over the lake every morning, however the attention to detail and the lack of apparant care by the managers in particular make the experience feel like that of a top 3* or 4*.
For the price we paid through groupon we cannot complain, but we would have been gutted if we had paid full price- not worth the money!

FINAL WARNING
There is currently contruction work going on right next to the hotel, I imagine they are expanding/ unfinished, so you will hear hammers/ cranes etc.. from around 9am onwards every day! There also appears to be parts of the hotel that are not yet open, e.g. thai restaurant across the lake.

Room Tip: Classic and superior rooms DO NOT have double beds, I am not sure about others.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
41 Thank P P
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I bought a groupon for this hotel without really knowing much about it. Having never been to Morocco before I wasn't totally sure what to expect, so I read many of the reviews on tripadvisor to prepare, which I found very helpful. A possible down-side to this hotel is that it is at least 3 hours from any major airport, so you must arrange a transfer with the hotel to pick you up and drive you through the countryside out to the hotel. Personally, I loved this - it allowed me the chance to see the country and I found the transfer timely, polite, and welcoming. When we got to the hotel we were escorted up the steep driveway in a golf cart so we wouldn't have to roll our bags, which was nice. Some of the reviews I read had mentioned that the food portions were small. I think the hotel MUST have made some changes, because I found the food to be MORE than enough (and I am not a light eater) at every meal, and also incredibly varied and delicious.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ashley O
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I bought a 3night stay through Groupon as a Christmas present for my mum and I, we were both so impressed with Widiane.

- First of all the views are unreal. I woke up every day breathless from the beauty. It really does look like the pictures.

- Secondly the staff are absolutely amazing. I could not fault them in any way. Nothing is too much of a hassle and they are just so welcoming and friendly.

As most other reviews have pointed out, this is not a 5* hotel by international standards. However the stay was so comfortable; nice firm beds, modern fixtures, excellent housekeeping, shower to die for. Also the restaurant service is excellent. If you are coming here on a groupon (as everyone in the hotel when we were there was) it is an absolute bargain, but the rack rate is incredibly overpriced.

I was worried about the food from other reviews, but the selection was huge - there is something for everyone. The breakfast buffet was particularly good. The lunch and evening meals are reasonably priced and we were actually surprised when check out came that we hadn't spent as much as we anticipated. (Meals were about 70-100 MAD, drinks were slightly overpriced but its worth noting if you order a spirit and mixer its easily more than a double measure!)

There is nothing around the hotel: it is a 3hr car journey from the airport (both our transfers were pleasant and at the times we had asked for, and we were the only two in our car). The isolation was a luxury for us, but it does mean you have to spend all your time at the hotel. Luckily the groupon deal kept us ticking over for things to do. We especially loved the Thai massage (wow!) and 'trek' (which is more of an amble). Wouldn't bother with the cooking class (more of a chopping class) but the kitchen staff were so fun, thanks Omar!

The only thing we wished was that the hotel was bigger and more people were there as at night it would have been nice to mingle with more people in the bar. But the hotel was expanding when we were there... FYI we didn't even realise there was building work until someone pointed it out to us 2 days in... we didn't have any noise disturbance. Another major downside was the pool was absolutely FREEZING which did actually upset us a bit as we prefer swimming to sunbathing.

Overall it was the best (and one of the cheapest) holidays I have ever been on! Thank you so much for a wonderful stay Widiane, I will never forget it! We only wish we had stayed more nights.

• Stayed February 2012
9 Thank Gemblen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bine el Ouidane
Hotel Chems du Lac Bin el Ouidane
Hotel Chems du Lac Bin el Ouidan...
#2 of 3 in Bine el Ouidane
#1 of 3 in Bine el Ouidane
Hotel Jnane Ain Asserdoune
Hotel Jnane Ain Asserdoune
#4 of 8 in Beni Mellal

Been to Widiane Suites & Spa? Share your experiences!