“A wonderful place to stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Landsmeer
Colette's Family Homes Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Landsmeer B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 March 2013

My sister and I stayed with Collette in April 2012 for a weekend after a riverboat trip through Belgium and Holland. We so much enjoyed staying in a home to give us more of a feeling of what residential life is like in the Netherlands. Her home is not far from more rural areas where you can walk or ride a bike and enjoy the countryside. A large park is also nearby. Landsmeer is a suburb of Amsterdam and you get there by taking a free ferry across the water. It takes five minutes and Collette comes and picks you up the first time you visit. Then she shows you how to take the bus from her house back to the ferry. We stayed in a compfortable upstairs room with three single beds. The staircase makes it a little difficult to carry up heavy suitcases, so she let us store them downstairs which was very convenient. There are not that many stairs, but they do curve around slightly going up. She serves wonderful breakfasts, so generous that you can take what you don't finish with you. She has lots of helpful advice on what to see and how to get there. The train and bus station in Amsterdam is conveniently located beside the ferry that you take to Landsmeer. That made it easy to visit the Keukenhof Gardens and other places of interest. I hope I can go back soon and stay with her again. What a delightful experience!

Pam R

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was upstairs, but she let us store our heavy luggage downstairs.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 February 2013

The B&B is in an idyllic Dutch village 15min bus drive from Central Amsterdam, so I would recommend it to everybody who wants to stay close to the city, but at the same time have a quiet and relaxed night.

Collette has been very friendly, efficient and had thought about everything one may need. She even picked me up from close to the Central Station in Amsterdam and drove me to my next destination when I was leaving. The rooms were nice and clean and the breakfast was great (I even got lunch bags to pack what I haven't managed to eat for later!).

I would definitely go back again!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 November 2012

At first, I was looking for the property because, reminiscent to my American lifestyle, I was expecting big flashy signs and and an obvious way in. It was, however, tucked into other similar looking houses. I was very confused, so I called and Colette explained, and after that it was smooth sailing. Colette was very friendly, knew everything one needs to be tuned into in order to make the most out of a trip to this historic city and was an amazing host to the both of us. Her picture was on the website and it was a surprise to see that she was actually the one that is here! We stayed in the first door that you see as soon as you come up the first set of stairs, and in this room it was small, quaint and the water out of the tap was crystal clear and completely potable. It tasted very good as well, as we were encouraged to try it. Room service was promptly at the time we agreed on, and we stayed for two nights as well, so when we left our room for the day, we were surprised to see that when we had come back during the night our room was clean. Overall, anyone coming to this place as a pair would be well taken care of, parking here is a breeze as it is semi-residential and less like finders keepers, the place is nice, and the atmosphere is so... Vacationy. Like going to visit your grandmother, it is a comfortable trip away from it all. :) Also, travel to and from downtown was a breeze, I am terrible with directions and with Colette's guidance I was able to navigate the streets no problem. I came with my personal vehicle so I had more options, but even without one, all you've got to do is remember timetables (or remember not to lose the paper the timetables are on) and you'll be just fine.

Room Tip: Lock your door when you're in AND of course, when you're not. You don't have to, but yo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brandon F
Reviewed 15 September 2012

If you would prefer a warm, welcoming, friendly B&B in a lovely area, very near Amsterdam city centre, stay here.
Collette was very efficient from booking through to departure.
Our holiday was made easier, firstly as we were met at the ferry thereby giving us time to get our bearings and then there was Collette's expert advice and comprehensive transport instructions. We didn't have to spend time researching as we were given all the information we needed or asked for. This enabled us to cram an awful lot in during our 3 day stay.
The weather was good while we were there, so we took advantage of having our breakfast in the garden which backs onto one of the many canals in the area.
Definitely recommended. We are looking forward to staying there again next year!! :)

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank ozboy63
Reviewed 9 September 2012

As long as you don't want to stay in the heart of the city, this is a superb place to stay. It is about a 20-30 minute bus trip into the central train station, but Colette provides excellent assistance with all travel arrangements. The rooms are spotless and the breakfasts superb (Colette even provides bags so you can take left overs for your lunch). Colette is a very gracious host and this B&B is great value.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CanadianRetirees
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Colette's was a delightfully, unexpected surprise. She welcomed us and our daughter on short notice and went absolutely above and beyond to help us when we had a problem with our car rental. She is not only a terrific host, but also gave us a wealth of information about Amsterdam to get the most out of our stay, right down to where to find free parking (which is virtually unheard of here). Her rooms are very comfortably appointed and very clean and her breakfast is fresh, healthy and offers a great deal of variety. She even provided a child's bike for our daughter to use and it was here that our daughter learned to ride a bike all on her own! We will definitely stay with Colette again the next time we're in Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Rooms have a beautiful view of the patio, garden and canal.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Some people just really go out of their way to make your trip memorable. Colette, the owner of this B&B (it's actually her home) is one of those people.

Colette was like a mother to us in Amsterdam! She picked us up from Central Station and gave explicit directions about where to meet her. She welcomed us to her home and treated us like family, telling us all sorts of stories from her 30 years as a host. Each morning she sat us down and told us the best and cheapest ways to explore. She lent us prepay cards for the the public transport so we saved on fares.

The room itself was lovely. It had three single beds, an en suite bathroom, a TV with some English channels, dining table, minibar, and view over the canal. A hearty continental breakfast with cheese, ham, egg and yoghurt was brought to our room at a time convenient to us. There were only two rooms in the place, so it was all very intimate.

Colette lives in Landsmeer, which is a little way out from Amsterdam. However getting a bus into town was no problem at all. We were given clear instructions, a handwritten map and a printout of bus times. The bus would have taken 15 minutes direct if there hadn't been construction work and some diversions, and they left around every 10 minutes well into the night. Even locally in Landsmeer there was a wide selection of shops, cafes, restuarants, banks and a supermarket all within walking distance. Colette suggested hiring bicycles (bargain 8 euros at the local shop!) and going for a ride through the countryside to the fishing village of Volendam. This highlight was something we would never have considered without her expertise, and might not have happened if we hadn't stayed in Landsmeer.

All in all, an excellent B&B- more like staying in a family home, really. I cannot recommend this place enough. I hope she keeps herself well and that we get to see her again. Best wishes to the next lucky person to stay here.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cambridgeguy88

Been to Colette's Family Homes Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!