We lead busy lives and had just that week had some family sadness, so a night away seemed like a good idea. Darling wanted to stay close-ish to home so as not to lose the benefit of being away in a long car trip, so I set about organising our escape-included in which was our little pooch Archie.
A good chum had stayed at Peace and Plenty a couple of years ago and spoke glowingly of it, so I called up and spoke to Judy, the very capable and welcoming host, who kindly organised matters so we had the Garden Room which meant Archie could snuffle about in a safe enclosed garden.
Darling collected me from work and we drove straight over, and very soon were comfortably settled in our own beautifully appointed home away from home. Much is written about the wonderful decor and surroundings that Judy has put together at Peace and Plenty, all of which is true; i think her greatest talent is creating a welcoming, relaxing and restorative ambience that saw the sadness and stress melt away.
We dined out on fish and chips by the sea, watching the boats come and go and delighting in the fact that the stream of car lights on the far side of the water felt like a world away to us.
After a good night's sleep, it was upstairs for a delicious breakfast and then a reluctant goodbye to the Peace and Plenty. We had a mooch around the village, down to the wharf and finally deciding when the time was right to head home.
Both darling and I agreed that we felt like we'd had a proper break, and arrived back in our real lives rested and refreshed, all just 30 minutes from home. Blissful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Peace and Plenty Inn is a magnificently restored Victorian villa (circa 1880), situated in an unbeatable waterfront location in the heart of the historic maritime village of Devonport. We invite you to stay at our gracious home offering comfortable and friendly luxury accommodation. We host visitors who come to relax from all over the world, along with New Zealanders enjoying a weekend away. High Teas are available most weekends and we also host small boutique weddings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Peace and Plenty Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Peace And Plenty Hotel Devonport
- Peace And Plenty Inn Devonport, Auckland, New Zealand