“Great Food”

Ranked #10 of 49 Restaurants in Devonport
Price range: US$7 - US$21
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We ate dinner here at the start of our month long visit to New Zealand, and at the end of our trip, just before we flew home. I think it was the best food we had during our entire stay in New Zealand. We come from an area in the USA, where there is a large Vietnamese population and consequently many Vietnamese Restaurants. I have also traveled extensively in Viet Nam. The food here rivals what I have eaten anywhere. Try to order the beef salad. Its fresh flavors delighted us and the portions of everything we selected were more than generous. The atmosphere was so friendly, everyone eating there seemed to be having a really good time, probably helped by a friendly and competent staff. Prices seemed moderate by New Zealand standards.

1  Thank trikergirl

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Loved the food-beef salad to die for, chocolate fondant pretty good too.
Friendly staff, good atmosphere, we'll be back :-)

1  Thank SimundoW
Reviewed 9 April 2014

It's great to eat traditional, subtle and beautifully presented Vietnamese food in a calm atmosphere (read: without heavy musak!) ... Cafe Hung Vietnam is well worth the walk up Devonport's Main Street .. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I spent the afternoon in Devonport, an easy ferry ride from Auckland. By the time I was ready for lunch, several places had stopped serving, so Hung Viet was my fourth choice. But it turned out to be terrific. I had a slightly spicy salad, and shrimp that was delicious. It was easily the best meal I had in the Auckland area.

1  Thank timothyg
Reviewed 23 February 2014

What a welcome addition to the traditionally lacklustre (stuck in the 80's) Devonport dining scene. Fresh and authentic ingredients and a well thought out menu will see this venture flourish in Devonport. Great to see it is busy as well with a full restaurant on Saturday night and plenty of walk in diners also. Looking forward to eating at Viet Hung again soon

3  Thank Sampan24