“Excellent food, service and reasonably priced. Huge portions!”
Review of Theatre Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Theatre Cafe
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner came here for brunch and I can honestly say it was one of the best brunches I have ever had. I had the chorizo and eggs benedict and my partner the lamb zaafar both with a fresh fruit juice. Service was very friendly and prompt and the food delicious. I cannot get over how big the portions were for the price! Will definitely return :)

Reviewed 17 April 2013

This restaurant is one of the few sit-down and get served places I found in this particular district. The building is a renovated lobby of what was the Mercury Theatre. This high domed ceilings harken back to the age of Art Deco, and you can imagine the elaborate paintings and gold filigree, now faded completely away. The menu was short but eclectic and the coffee was superb. I can't say the food was amazing, but it was well prepared and as advertised. I had a Porterhouse Steak Burger, which was not what we in America consider to be Porterhouse. But it was still quite good. My partner had the Mixed Grill and was very happy. Overall, a nice little place for an historic lunch.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

The menu sounds great, but we were very disappointed.
The Calamari dish consisted of four very small slices of calamari, with salad over soggy/oily bread- average for nearly $20!
The potato rosti stack looked impressive, but on disection revealed soggy potatoes, brown avocado (obviously cut earlier that day) , and the fried eggs were clearly not fresh. The best part was the fresh tomato slices.
Thoroughly disappointed as the menu and the environment meant we expected more.
At the counter we gave direct feedback regarding our meals, but were offered no discount, remedy or apology!
Only positive was the coffee and iced chocolate were actually pretty good.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

All in all a very good cafe. Coffee is always excellent and food from the kitchen is consistently good. I enjoy the more unusual combination of ingredients and menu options.
excellent ambient created by the very cool old classical style ceiling. Reminds one of a Roman eatery.
A few issues with service I think needs to be addressed. On Saturdays, girls on the till are sometimes slow and lack a certain urgency. On a few occasions coffee were observed to be served to the wrong table and for more than 1 instance coffee arrived after all the food on the table were finished. They have recently started using a table number system and hopefully this will improve service standard and reduce mistakes. If weekend girls are part timers, maybe more training needs to be provided.
Despite some small issues, I see great potential in this place and a great weekend retreat.