“Why the bad reviews?”
Review of Monty Hotel

Monty Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ampara
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I didn't get a great reaction to the fact that I was staying at Monty's, but I think it's really quite nice.

Admittedly, the facade as you drive up does belie slightly more average interior, but it's a nice hotel in a very quiet area.

The staff is friendly and helpful. There was no welcome drink of the usual fruity variety, but I lingered in the lobby (very open and nice) that they brought me a coffee (or was it a capuccino?).

The rooms are more than fine, spacious for one person. Clean bed, clean bathroom, all I need. Ok, there is no cubicle or curtain, so your shower may leave your bathroom wet, but it's otherwise fine. Even has ironing facilities in the room, which is more than I can say for other, better hotels.

Room Tip: A room that looks out on the front garden is probably nice. I'd avoid the 3rd floor, if you don...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Monty Hotel

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Visit the website and this hotel looks fine. Visit the hotel and no way is this a luxury hotel. And from the list of facilities it is clearly not basic. What it is, is dirty, dark and grim. The website is fiction rather than fact, and misleading one example being the indication the rooms have baths, they don’t it is only the suites (Two I was aware of), unless they include the pool.

Reality check it has been clearly airbrushed on the website. Rooms shown are the ones that have been refurbished. The suite I was offered, on floor 3 is not the one shown on the website. Pool area is clean but the sun beds, all 4 of them are filthy, so dirty they are grey.

Personally I think Sri Lanka is being over developed with hotels, unfortunately not in this area, I would reluctantly wish a competent hotelier would build a small hotel, even basic, to remove business from this hotel, so visitors to the area have a choice. That said there is ample local basic accommodation in the area, it would not support a coach load, which on brief inspection of these rooms are clearly cleaner than the room we were given at the Monty, and better maintained.

Hotel is sold as basic, by tour operator, hotel claims luxury.

Basic means little or no facilities. Clearly the hotel had more than basic facilities swimming pool, air conditioning, ceiling fans, iron and iron board, television, mini bar, tea and coffee making facilities, coffee table and/or dining table and chairs, arm chairs, writing table, safety deposit box.

Extras to this were stained furniture, furniture and ironing board, insect infestation, (the type found in dirty conditions) broken shower door, damaged room door.

Arrival was after sunset. Hotel badly lit. When I left the room all the lights on my floor 3 had been switched of luckily we had a torch so could find the light switches, but still the hotel was badly lit.

Other than 3 other guests who appeared to be there on business, we saw no other guests until evening next day.

Our driver/guide could not comprehend the difference between basic and dirty.

Dirty is dirty whether the hotel has achieved 6 stars or not it has to be clean, there was also damaged and broken furniture in the room. Basic does not mean subject to damaged furniture and room.

It took me nearly an hour to sort out a change of room here, with reception. Our driver/guide when we caught up with him later that evening was despite several attempts to make it clear I was not staying in room 301, and had got a change after much persistent on my part.

Due to reading up about this hotel, I was aware that there had been several rooms refurbished at the hotel, and the room we had been given had not been and neither were the subsequent rooms offered all again dirty, broken and run down, mostly on 3rd floor. One room I was shown which they claimed was their superior suite again unfurnished, had an unpleasant odour, which hit you as soon as the door was opened. On entering into the room the first thing was a dining table and chairs, the tablecloth was filthy and stained, and so were the chairs. I went straight to the bathroom, again not clean and then when I checked the shower door it was broken. Came of when tried to close, and I am not heavy handed. That was enough of a reason not to take this room, without looking any further around.

The hotel's website clearly airbrushed promotes only the refurbished rooms.

The room we were given 301, when we arrived had blood on the wall, various stains on the furniture, an insect infestation and not the normal type, associated with rooms in Sri Lankan hotels. I did not investigate the bed or underneath it.

Attempts to remove the problem by use of insect spray only resulted in exposing how dirty the room, including bathroom, dirt was being lifted by the spray.

Toilet was visibly filthy.

Shower door would not close, again dirty.

Cupboard containing iron and board, was stained and dirty.

Tea and coffee was placed in a dirty plastic box (only time throughout stay I encountered this at any hotels), clearly the hotel were aware that this would attract some form of vermin and that the room was not clean.

Dirty coat hangers.

Broken door which had been clearly damaged/vandalised.

Dirty taps.

Etc, etc etc etc.

The evening meal included in the price and stipulated as fish vegetarian.

We were only offered chicken dishes despite being shown a menu containing fish and vegetarian dishes. We were told it was not possible to do a vegetarian curry only a chicken curry. I entered the kitchen and put together the vegetables for a vegetarian curry. Which meant in effect I was having to prepare my own meal (we were not self catering)

I told the hotel that I would not be paying for the soft drinks which again were only about 4.

Accommodation in the surrounding area, which would have been a room in a local's house would have been cleaner that what I encountered here.

I finally managed to secure a refurbished room. Next day on closer inspection several of the doors to refurbished rooms had been left open, non of these had I been shown the night before and we were not put into these rooms, on arrival. I went into these rooms to have a good look around.

It was only through sheer perseverance that I managed to have the room changed to a refurbishment one.

The room we were given could only be described as worse than a homeless hostel accommodation.

If you do have the misfortune, to have to stay at this hotel. Insist on a refurbished room, it seems these are located on floor 2 and facing the pool area on the ground floor.

If you find yourself on half board get into the kitchen, and see what food they have, and insist they prepare at least something similar to what is on the menu.

The hotel has a lot of potential whoever has it has not got a clue. I would recommend a deep clean of all even refurbished rooms, and a nice bonfire out back to get rid of the filthy and damaged excessive amount of furniture. Bathrooms turned into wet rooms. Get rid of the broken, damaged dirty doors. Take it back to basic clean accommodation If the owner/hotelier cannot do these simple things they need to get out of the hotel business, and let someone who does take over this hotel. The problems clearly lie here with manager/owner.

The refurbished room we finally secured on the second floor. Get rid of the dinning suite, as this could be very easily made into a family room, have 2 extra beds put in.

I don’t know what the owner/management here is trying to achieve but it is not working. Why have dining tables in rooms. Sort your restaurant out, and get people to eat there not in their rooms.

There is also a lot of waste of space here. Landings have settees on them, why? And dining table and chairs why? Even in daylight the area is badly lit and the decor grey and dull uninspiring. Paint the walls a lighter shade not concrete grey, and close the door to the roof area, especially when the lights are switched off. (looks like they stopped building, as roof not finished)

In anticipation to anyone’s response expect insects. Our new room had only one, throughout the rest of the stay, and then I think it had hitch hiked from room 301 with us. Ants act in a regimental fashion when there are several of them, and cockroaches when confronted with light head for a dark corner or somewhere to hide, not look at you like you have taken over their room.

As I finally comment I am well aware what happened here. On the second night when we returned to the hotel, a government minister had arrived, apparently for agricultural (should have been tourism), together with his entourage of civil services etc. Why should he and his be given accommodation which he has not paid of a better standard, when we have paid? And I would have the same feelings if this happened in my country. He needs a reality check. Or at least to be accommodated in non refurbished rooms.

It has been claimed I was offered his suite, if this was the case why was it still unoccupied the next day (this is the one on the third floor) and he was in the suite on the second floor.

On a plus side the swimming pool looked clean, but I did not go in so can only say looked.

Unfortunately as too busy cleaning did not have chance to take photos, but check out room 301, if you find yourself here, to see if some of the problems have been dealt with

Room Tip: Insist on a refurbished rooms appears to be on second floor and around pool area. Eat out for bette...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank crossey
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stayed here recently on a business trip. I didn't have high expectations and Monty Hotel didn't exceed them.

The room was ok, if you ignore the flaking paint, damp mildew on walls, curtain hanging off...the pictures on TA or the hotel website look much better than reality.

On a positive note, the food in the restaurant was fine and the service was good.

Considering there are limited option for accommodation in the area I would possibly stay here again - you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2013

The hotel is having a very good potential to grow up. The staff is very good and think about the guest. The rooms a offered on "room only basis" which is good. We have the option to go out and eat or to order and have it within the cafeteria. The food is good and some what hot....Please improve.

The maintenance crew should take care of the fanlight as this could not be closed and this should have a curtain at least to keep privacy. And the swing action of the split type AC was not working. Please attend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank t k
Reviewed 16 September 2013

AC rooms also very conjested and fanlight of bath room just open even without curtain. bed sheet need to be requested and first they refused as saying not eligible. but bill is very nicely prepared with very high rate ....go to hell ....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Passing through on my way back from East coast beaches. Only went to Ampara because of bus connections. Staff friendly enough but hotel drab and uninspiring. Felt that the charge was pretty high in comparison to other places in Sri Lanka. It seems like there are limited options though. Cleanliness was not great and rooms dreary.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Roux
Reviewed 2 May 2013

The Monty Hotel can be named as the best place if you are looking accommodation near Ampara Town. Rates are also quite reasonable and have quite well equipped rooms. Specially noticed that the lighting inside the rooms are not enough. Also the food is average. You can enjoy all facilities like Wifi, AC, Hot water and TV.

Pretty good place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business