Queen's Head Inn
  • Restaurant
US$130
Howtown Hotel(Howtown)
  • Restaurant
All reviewspiesthe pubgreat beerhighly recommend this lovelylamb chopstwo coursessuperb foodfor sunday lunchb bnorthern lakespooley bridgeroom was clean and comfortablefirst morninglocal producea great place to staytwin roomeasy access
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 November 2011

The setting is glorious and combined with the staff make it heaven on earth! Food great and the accomodation excellent. !

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Bernie S
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I've never felt the need to write on this forum before but thought it worth sharing a recent unfortunate experience. We stopped off at the Queens Head on the way to Scotland looking for a restful break in a quiet country pub. It was nearly spot on: the setting is great, the pub typically English, the fire place glowing and the bar staff cheery and helpful.

However, after eating in their bar at approximately 7pm and heading off to the room at about 9pm, I woke shortly after midnight with an horrendous case of the sweats and a cement mixer in my stomach. I managed to hold on to the inevitable until about 1am from when I spent the next 15 minutes hugging the porcelain calling for Hugh and Ralph. Finally cooled down at about 3am and slept fitfully until breakfast. We headed down at about 8.30 am. I asked the chef whether anyone else had come down ill from the night before - he wasn't aware they had. Cue assurances that their standard of cleanliness was exceptional and that it couldnt possibly have been anything from their kitchen to cause the upset. There wasnt a hint of an apology or much concern about my welfare (not that I really care for sympathy). They assured me they'd send one of their pies off to the lab to be tested. I think the one that needs testing is in the u-bend of the toilet.

I remain pretty convinced it came from the dinner although I suppose there's a chance I could be wrong. And I can understand why no-one likes to think it comes from their kitchen, might be convinced of their innocence, or, these days, feels at all inclined to admit responsibilty. How this should have been dealt with: "I'm sorry you were ill over night, we're sure of our standards here but also like to think that all our guests go away happy to come back. To make up for your unpleasant night we'll knock off *the wine* or *the food* (delete as appropriate) from your bill." Simple really.

Shame, as I left an otherwise lovely pub worse off to the tune of £100+ and feeling pretty miffed.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AvidTraveller684
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Me, My Family and My Dog stayed there and were made very welcome. Great atmosphere in the pub and the staff were lovely. The chef was brilliant and was a very cheerful man. The rooms were always clean and fresh towels were given everyday. It was just what we wanted. Cant wait to go back again. I don't know what everyone's complaining about!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Gem2293
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The room was in poor condition with cracks on walls and there was an ugly carpet in bathroom.However, the room was clean and staff were friendly. Food in restaurant wasn't bad (although there is limited choice from vegetarians) and the hotel is in a good location, not far from lakes.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SiouXsie7
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We have just returned from spending two nights here and although it was very quaint I feel they should consider some form of double glazing because it was quite noisy from 5.30am and the plumbing noises also added to a very early wake up time. We ate in the restaurant the first evening and found the service very,very slow even though we were the second table to be seated. The waitress could not differentiate which of their speciality pies were which and my husband was given the pie ordered by his sister and his sister given his order - not the best start to a very long wait!!!

• Stayed: July 2011