“A memorable experience”

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Askham
Price range: US$70 - US$91
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Newly opened in September 2013, Askham Hall's beautifully remodelled dining area is made up of three exquisite rooms and overseen by renowned head chef Richard Swale. Offering a unique and creative dining style, using produce locally sourced from the 800 year old Lowther Estate. The cycle of life in the gardens and fields dictate our menus - we work with the seasons and grow, source and preserve the produce from our surrounding farms and woodland. Taste Cumbria 2015 winner. Sister establishment of the George and Dragon, Clifton, also repeated winners of the Cumbria Tourism Taste Awards.
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We had planned this meal following a birthday gift voucher from friends
Any expectations were exceeded The venue was known to us as a beautiful house and garden that had been renovated . The work done is tasteful but not as tasteful as the fabulous food and wine served.
From start to finish our experience was perfect.with excellent staff,clever chef and a well informed, delightful sommelier who didn't push only expensive wine but with his French roots advised well.
The muse bouche were excellent and original.
We are still excited by our visit pallet wise with the most perfectly cooked and presented lamb,light panacotta and perfectly cooked local vegetables
A big thank you for a lovely evening
The intimacy of this venue extends to the lounge where fellow diners chose to chat to each other over excellent coffee and after dinner treats
Another visit is being planned as I write

3  Thank Hyacinth_12

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just perfect. Do I need to say more?

The quality of the food and its preparation are of the very highest standards. We stayed in the Hall (reviewed separately) and so had both breakfasts and dinner in this restaurant. The staff are excellent, remembering little things from the previous day that made it all seem so personal.

We had different preference to the menu provided, but it was no problem for the chef to rustle up an alternative that was superb. Each mouthful was varied and divine, and we have come home bursting with ideas of things to try out, but of course we will not be able at all to replicate the tastes and experience.

At the beginning of the review I'm asked if this is the best meal I've ever had in a restaurant. The only one that comes close is the Burj al Arab in Dubai. But Askham Hall wins.

And it's closer to home.

4  Thank George C
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Before and after dinner we sat in the lounge enjoying drinks from the honesty bar and chatting in front of a huge fire. We tried the taster menu for dinner which we can definitely recommend. The sommelier was excellent and chose a different wine to accompany each course all of which were delicious and well matched. All the staff were so helpful from the moment I got in touch with them. We'll definitely be going back.

1  Thank Rachael M
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I'll keep it very simple and just say this is definitely a restaurant to watch out for in the future.
Perfectly executed food, absolutely zero faults.
The staff were incredibly polite and friendly, beautiful rooms and atmosphere.
Recommended to the highest level.

3  Thank cpn01
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The first thing that we noticed about Askham hall was the breathtaking views across the extensive, yet homely grounds. The building itself where the restaurant area is situated is a grand, historic structure and as soon as we arrived we just couldn’t wait to get started.

The sheer quality and presentation of the food was beyond anything that I had experienced in central London and what really amazed me was the grounded, unpretentious nature of the general atmosphere and all of the staff we encountered. I would highly recommend opting for the taster menu (which we went for) to avoid the disappointment of missing out on any of the first class dishes on offer. From succulent beef to rich flavoursome fish, all of the food was simply outstanding. I had heard great things about Askham Hall from colleagues who originate from the Penrith area but the whole experience far exceeded my already high expectations.
I would thoroughly recommend Ashkam Hall to anyone who appreciates food of the highest quality, in a relaxed yet stunning setting. There’s no doubt about it that we shall be returning again. See you all soon!

2  Thank Daniel N