“Good deal for lunch”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 5 April 2014

They have different lunch specials for different days in a week and the price is good, around $11/person. I had the Friday lunch special that includes sushi, maki roll, miso soup and a small bowl of udon. The amount of foods is generous. However, quality is very average. I get what I pay for so I don't complain. However I have had dinner there before and the foods aren't any better. I am a bit disappointed because I remember that the Guu at Thurlow in Vancouver was very good.

There are newer reviews for Guu in Aberdeen

Reviewed 4 October 2013

the restaurant is not super busy compared to the one in downtown. but the food is same quality. their sashimi is fresh and I like to order their lunch box. its quite a lot of food can certainly feed you. the bbq eel is very delicious.

their drinks are special but a bit expensive.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Very disappointing. Food of low quality, limited variety and not cheap. Restaurant stank - needs a serious refurbishment. We arrived at 7.30pm and nearly all of the specials advertised at the door was not available.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

My wife and I dined at Guu off Robson on their opening weekend years ago quite by chance as rain caught us off guard. It was magical. Since then we have returned to Vancouver and enjoyed a couple of downtown Guu restaurants. We are Ontarians, and I have eaten at the Church St. Guu half a dozen times, with and without family. All excellent experiences. I was just back in Vancouver and staying near the airport and opted for dinner at Guu Richmond.

I would say the mall location is a turnoff and the restaurant layout has nothing interesting about it; it is like a standard sushi restaurant. The vibe was good and the staff friendly, but it did not feel like a real Izakaya as I have come to recognize the genre. The food was very good, so I left content having enjoyed the beef tongue 3 ways, deep fried cauliflower in spicy sauce (fave!), marinated eggplant, and several sashimi cuts of ultrafresh fish.
I enjoyed my meal but it was not the same vibe as other Guu locations I have been to, including Toronto, so I think I'd head into the city to Guu before choosing Aberdeen.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

We went to Guu on Saturday night as a family of 3. The restaurant met every one of my expectations and more. From greetings from everyone on the staff, to prompt service, inventive dishes and great atmosphere - it's a place we'll be going back to. Quality of fish, freshness and texture were unbelievable.