“Relaxing Holiday”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Hong Kong, China
“Relaxing Holiday”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I stayed in Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport twice in July for my holiday. Check in was fast and the room is clean and spacious. Everything in the room is up to the standard except I don't like the coffee maker being placed inside the bathroom. I just don't feel right about it. I travel solo, so I can take my time enjoy the breakfast in the morning before I started my tour. The breakfast room is spacious and have enough sitting for everyone. They even have a little outdoor area for the guest to enjoy their breakfast which other Holiday Inn Express in Vancouver and Burnaby do not have. Morning with the nice weather with breath of fresh air , enjoy the hot coffee and complimentary newspaper was very relaxing. The breakfast include hot items like scramble egg, sausage and bacon which provided in every other day. There are warm cinnamom rolls and other pastry as well. Although it is almost the end of breakfast hours, the foods still being refilled quickly.Staff worked very fast to clean up the table and I have seem the manager gave them a hand during the breakfast rush. Hotel do left the breakfast room open 24 hours and there are coffee, tea and cookies for the guest. The location of the hotel is convenient, about 10 minutes walk to the nearby skytrain station. But there are not much else in the neighbourhood. There is a family restaurant(Moxie), A&W which close early, 24 hrs Tim Horton and that's it. Regarding the computer in business centre, the operating platform in the computer is not user friendly. Pass word provided is for the internet browsing and print out only. There is a time limit of 10 minutes and it will lock out automaticaly when time is up. You will lose whatever you have on the computer. Also, the computer only support English characters. As a result, the guest cannot read web page or email in foreign language character. Other Holiday Inn Express in Vancouver provide the guest with free usage of the computer without any time limit and much more user friendly. Anyway, if the price is right, I would still consider this hotel as my primary choice for my next visit to Vancouver.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher than third floor, otherwise there are not much view. After a day of tour, make...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Albert C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Shanghai
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Executive summary: Misleading information provided about "free" airport shuttle, rude staff, very unpleasant experience.

I missed a connection in Vancouver and needed a place to shower and rest for a few hours before my next flight the following morning. I picked this hotel based primarily on the "24 hour free airport shuttle" they advertise. Before booking I called the company's hotline and spoke to a woman who confirmed the property did have a shuttle available 24 hours. I then called the front desk just to be safe - this was my main criteria for choosing the hotel and I wanted to be sure.

Eddy, the hotel's front desk staff, was friendly and even jovial when I called to confirm the shuttle. He explained that the shuttle service ends at 12:30am, but not to worry because the hotel would provide me with a taxi voucher for a free ride to the airport in the morning. He went so far as to identify the type of cab (Richmond red taxi) and said I would get the voucher when I checked in.

Arriving after midnight, I had a brief 4 hours to rest at the hotel before heading back to the airport. Eddy was again friendly at check in, remembering my name from the phone call, explaining what refreshments would be available (muffins and coffee before 6), and getting me set up with a 4am wake up call. So far so good.

I assumed that the taxi voucher Eddy mentioned was in the envelope with the room key, but when I got to the room it was nowhere to be found. Tired and not wanting to walk back down to the lobby I took Eddy at his word and decided to just go to bed and get the voucher from him in the morning.

Fast forward to 4:18am, back in the lobby. Eddy has suddenly never seen me before, having no recollection of our two conversations just hours before. He flatly declares that no taxi vouchers are given after 4am and that I can just wait for the free shuttle coming at 4:45. I reference the details of our recent conversations in a futile attempt to remind him of what he had promised, both over the phone and in person. Eddy becomes rude and dismissive, refusing to acknowledge any memory of those conversations and blaming me for missing the 4:15 shuttle that had just departed. I protest that I could have easily caught that shuttle had I been informed of it, but Eddy holds his ground and becomes progressively more rude. Finally I give up and ask him to phone a taxi for me - paid for out of pocket so as not to miss my 6am flight.

All in all a totally unacceptable experience at this property. Bad enough that I will avoid this brand altogether in the future, and advise anyone to stay away from this property at Vancouver airport. Pick one of the many other options available instead.

• Stayed August 2013
7 Thank Ryan F
Hotelmanager5, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
RyanF -

I sincerely apologize for the concerns you had with our new team member Eddie. Although it was only his second shift on his own, his knowledge of the hotel and area (inclusive of the shuttle) are not on par with the rest of Guest Service Agent team. The goal for all our staff is to be 100% responsive to all our guest needs, so I am very disappointed to read your comments. I have printed your review and will use your comments to demonstrate the need of better communication. I can assure you this is not our normal level of service and is very much the exception, not the rule. I hope we (and the Brand) have an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel(s) for a positive experience our guests have come to expect. Should you wish to discuss your stay with us with me, I encourage you to contact me directly anytime.

Stephen Crann
Hotel Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Needed a hotel close to the airport as we had an early morning flight but alo one that offered breakfast and was good value for money. This hotel fitted the bill. Our check in was friendly and our room was spacious with two double beds.
The room was very quite didn't hear planes at all.
Although not alot around there is a Tim Horton's one block away which provided fresh sandwiches and etc. The skytrain is a 10 min walk away and only 25 mins to down town Vancouver. Located next door to the skytrain is the River Rock Casino Hotel that had a restaurant which overlooked the marina.
The Champagne that I ordered for the BF from Australia was delivered to the room after a little reminder but no affect on the surprise.
Would stay here again if I was again in vancouver and needed a hotel close to the airport.
They also paid our cab fare as we were toooooo early for the airport shuttle bus.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julesten2016
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I like to stay here when I'm in Richmond on business, or when I have a stopover at Vancouver International. The room rates are reasonable, the rooms are clean and well appointed, the beds are very comfortable and I always have a good night sleep. Recently I stayed here as a stopover. The airporter shuttle is fast and on-time, desk staff were friendly and helpful. My mom forgot her toothbrush and I was able to get one from the front desk. We stayed there on the way back through as well, and enjoyed having dinner with friends at the restaurant. Great selection of international beers. This hotel is more business-oriented; if you're looking for a pool or things to do with children, I wouldn't recommend it. But for adults, there is a small gym, there's plenty of parking and it's located near many outlet stores in Richmond so there are good shopping opportunities as well.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ZNorth
Toronto
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Great hotel. What you would expect from a Holiday Inn Express. Clean, fresh, basic rooms. Staff are very friendly and welcoming. Breakfast is good and included with your rate. Parking is free and secure. Location is 5 minutes outside the airport and 15 minutes into Burnaby, 20 - 25 minutes into downtown plus a bit if you are in rush hour. Fitness centre is good. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Midland, Texas
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We needed to stay one night in Vancouver for an upcoming cruise. This place fit our families needs perfectly. The location is about 15 minutes from the pier. The staff is very helpful. More importantly, this venue offers a shuttle to the pier. That is a big deal to us in that we had to just tip the driver for the ride instead of paying for a taxi.

Small pillows - but it was just one night.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I had been concerned abotu one trip advisor remark of bugs however it was clean clean clean. comfortable and quiet although close to airport. had wifi but soemtimes a little interrupted. good breakfast and a bright cheerie dining room.
the hotel does nto have a lot around it except a Costco right across the street. also a husky where one can buy soft drinks and snacks. I understand there was a pub across the street at another hotel,, but i never tried it. as i say good location at a great price for 1 night adn not at downtown prices. if we had wanted to go downtown there was the train about 2 km from the hotel. taxi to the cruise terminal form this hotel was $35.00

Room Tip: daced front of hotel and was very quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Hotelmanager5, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Jackiefrombrampton,

Thank you for taking the time to notice the pride our team take in our hotel and providing us an opportunity to accommodate you during visit to the Vancouver/Richmond area. We have noticed a few concerns with our internet service and have taken the necessary steps to better the experience for all our guests. This new service will be available for your next visit. The entire team and I hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon!

Stephen Crann