“Good Hotel, Reasonable Price”

Abercorn Inn Vancouver Airport
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We decided to book this hotel (for 4 nights) instead of "our usual hotel" in Richmond, even though it was not as conveniently situated (for us) and was a little more expensive. The decision was made due to the recent promotion for Aeroplan Miles. The exterior of the hotel looks attractive with it's Tudor style and with the beautiful hanging baskets of flowers. The room was spacious, bedding was very nice and the room was spotless. It had a coffee maker as well as a small refrigerator. A nice touch was the remote control sitting in a cloth 'sleeve' indicating that it was clean. We were next to a main road but the noise was minimal when the window was closed. One slight negative was that the air condition/heater had a noisy rattle when it was on. I did report this upon leaving. We had no problem parking each night.
It was very nice to have a dining room & lounge on site. We enjoyed a couple of drinks nightly in the lounge. One night there was Karaoke in the lounge. This was the evening that we had decided to eat in the hotel dining room which is connected to the lounge. I found the music very loud and intrusive so we moved as far as we could from the lounge doors but it was still irritating. There are doors on each end of the lounge, both that connect to the dining room. Too bad that these doors cannot be closed to spare the diners.
The first morning after arrival I used the voucher for the 'free' breakfast. It offered the usual (buffet) continental-type items as well as scrambled eggs, ham slices and fried potatoes. I enjoyed the fresh fruit bowl as well. I like yogurt but for some reason I did not care to see the "huge" amount sitting in the large bowl. I did take some and it was fine. I guess it just looks so 'exposed'. The breakfast area was quiet that morning when I was there and it was getting busy just as I left. On the week-end, my husband and I both went down for the breakfast. It was an absolute "zoo". My husband observed (what I had failed to take note of previously) the lay-out of the buffet. It is absolutely unworkable, unusable, undesirable. Although there were many, MANY, people there, it could have had better "flow". The first flaw is the U-shape of the area. Second flaw, all beverages were at the back, coffee in one corner and the juices in the other corner. Drinks (cutlery, napkins) are the common denominator at buffets and should be totally accessible by being right at the front, and maybe even totally removed away from it. NO ONE COULD MOVE IN OR OUT at one point. Seriously. The staff member trying to bring in the coffee could NOT get in to the back of the "U". I was beside her and just wanted a refill of coffee so she poured it right there. I then took the carafe and filled my husband's cup as well. Get that coffee station and juice tank OUT OF THERE. There was absolutely no "flow" to the buffet, no logic to the buffet, no enjoyment of the buffet that day. The numbers of people were NOT the main problem. My husband went so far as to wonder if this is deliberate, to discourage people from eating the "free breakfast". I am more forgiving and believe that it is just poor design, lack of experience, or whatever. Regardless, my husband absolutely refused to go there the next morning so we went to Denny's just a few blocks away. That says a lot because my husband is usually the easiest person to please. When we checked out, I returned 4 breakfast vouchers to the front desk person who made no comment.
Will we stay at this hotel again? Absolutely, we are already booked for next month. If the manager reads this review, perhaps the buffet flaw will be addressed.

2  Thank kallie93
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Dear Kallie93,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I believe it must be you to have also left me such a kind voicemail on my phone this afternoon. I love hearing from our guests as it motivates me to improve! I do apologize for the noise you experienced from our AC and the comments you made about our breakfast. To address your concerns, our maintenance department is currently looking after the AC problem you've mentioned, as quite frankly, you are not the first one to mentioned. These AC were replaced last year so we might have made an error during installation. This, I promise, is something we are looking after.

As to the breakfast area, it was newly renovated last year as well. One of the challenges I have though, IS the U shape space you've pointed out. With limited space available, we are currently working on building a better breakfast flow. Thus, it is already my plan to move the coffee and drinks out to the front. As well, we will be extending the breakfast granite counter so we will have more space to spread out the breakfast items. The counter will be arriving tomorrow! Unfortunately, you have caught us at our "transition" period. Nonetheless, I guarantee that on your next stay you will see some changes with our breakfast. At that time, you can write us another review. :)

Thank you again for your fair and honest review. We really appreciate it. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Great place to stay if you are looking for something near Vancouver Airport. The staff is delightful, the rooms are large, and super clean, the Scottish decorations are fun, and the food is very good, especially the Indian dishes. Breakfast, which is included, was bountiful, with lots of wonderful choices, including make your own waffles. The outside is gorgeous, especially with all the beautiful hanging baskets. This was our first stay here, but it won't be our last. We were very pleasantly impressed by all aspects of this place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Dear Kathy J,

Thank you for your comments! I will surely pass your compliments down to our landscaper as we have been getting reviews from him! I am glad that you like our Indian dishes as it is just one of the specialities of our talented Executive Chef! We will be launching our new menu next Wednesday so be sure to come back and try out our food.

Thank you once again and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2012

We have stayed at this hotel a few times before but this is my first review on Tripadvisor for this hotel.

I booked a 14 day park and stay King room for the first week of June 2012. We arrived mid afternoon on a Saturday and checked in right away. I parked the car in the back lot as we were leaving for a 14 day cruise to Alaska the next day. This is an older hotel that has been completely renovated. We had an excellent room on the third floor near the elevator. There was no hallway noise even being so close to the elevator. The room was nicely decorated and very clean.

We ate dinner in the pub on the main floor. Pub food but well done. Several local beers on tap and a variety of bottled beers. You can order wine by the glass, carafe or a bottle. They also make cocktails. The server Kathleen is the "best". She welcomed everyone into the pub as though she was welcoming them into her home.

The breakfast (included in the room rate) next morning was in the pub - amazing how lighting can make such a difference. The room was bright and clean. Breakfast was buffet style, well prepared and had many choices. Fresh fruit, eggs, hash browns, ham, cereals, toast, English muffins,several juices, coffee and tea. A staff member was making sure everything was replenished and keeping the area clean.

The front desk staff recommended the a company Vancouver Shuttle & Charter who offer seasonal shuttle service from local Richmond hotels to the cruise ship pier in Vancouver. We called them from our room at no cost and booked a space on the bus for the next morning. The shuttle arrived at the scheduled time. The driver took care of the luggage from the hotel and the next time we saw was in our cruise stateroom. The cost for the shuttle to the cruise port was $14.00 per person tax in. Upon our return, 14 days later we hopped into our car and headed home.
I would recommend this hotel and in fact have booked another park and stay this coming Fall.

2  Thank MandMT
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Dear MandMT,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detail review of our property! Even I could not describe our services and amenities better than you do. It is guest like you that motivates us to do even better. The Abercorn Inn are still continuing to upgrade ourselves to provide the best services and products to our loyal guests.

Thank you once again and stay tune for our updates.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We stayed a night before our transcontinental flight and were delighted with the small size or the building, the very clean and comfortable rooms along with the free breakfasts. The staff was professional and very efficient. I meant to tell the management how beautiful the flowers and plantings are at the front of the inn. We parked the car for 2 weeks there also as part of the package. The free shuttle to the airport runs every half hour. Highly recommend this establishment and would be very happy to stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Leslie L
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Dear Leslie L,

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted to hear that you like our landscaping as we recently had it done for the summer. We have an excellent landscaper that works for us. Every summer, the hanging baskets is one of our Abercorn Inn's highlights. I am also pleased to hear that you liked our newly renovated rooms. As well, to know that our staff has exceeded your expectations. Thank you once again and we hope to see you very soon!

Reviewed 29 June 2012

My wife and I stayed one night at the Abercorn on our way to Alasks (Anchorage), and stayed at it again for one night on our way back home. The desk staff were attentive, checked us in and out fast, and dealt quickly with minor requests we had. The room was just fine for us (tired travellers just wanting a good meal and quiet night's sleep). The best part, however, was their restaurant, which advertises itself as one of the best around -- and indeed it is. The servers had a warm, relaxing attitude and the menu was as good as you would find in many top places downtown. The only (small) downside was the fitness room, which was pretty spartan and just had one of each type of machine, but it did the job.
We'd certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing away from the main street.
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear RVW,

Thank you for your comments and I will surely pass down the compliments to our staff. We live and breathe Best Western's vision of "Leading the Industry with Superior Customer Care." Thank you and hope to see you at the Abercorn Inn in the very near future.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

This quaint Scottish themed airport hotel is very cosy and welcoming, unlike most of the airport hotels I've stayed in before.

No complaints: The airport shuttle comes twice hourly. Good food in the hotel restaurant, particularly the included breakfast buffet. The beer on tap is from the local Granville Island brewery - the honey lager is great. Internet is free and fast. Bathroom clean and water is strong and hot.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear Emily P,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a lovely review. We strive to retain the Scottish charm of our hotel as that is what makes us stand out from the rest of our competitor! I am glad that you enjoyed the service that we have provided you. Thank you once again and hope to see you at the Abercorn Inn again very soon!

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed here a few days ago for one night after a 24 hr flight/airport ordeal and boy, what a treat. Spacious and clean room with a king size bed fit for royalty. Big TV with all the working parts. In the morning we went downstairs for their complimentary buffet breakfast and lucked out again. Breakfast was more then expected, lots of choice and food was hot and fresh. Coffee was perfect. People working in the lounge/breakfast area were pleasant and welcoming. We used the shuttle from and to the airport and it was on time exactly. Even the shuttle bus driver was terrific. I noticed that there is a Costco across the street but shopping wasn't on the agenda. The next time we are in the Richmond area, this is the place we will be staying.

Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Dear Taber,

Thank you for your comments. It is guests like you that brings a smile to our faces and motivates us to provide superior customer service at all times! We hope to see you again soon! :)