“All as advertised!”

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Vancouver Island, Canada
“All as advertised!”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Everything that was promised was delivered, and then some. As promised, I was reimbursed for my taxi fare as the shuttle didn't run at 1:30 am when I arrived at Vancouver Airport. Just had to have my receipt.
The room was spacious, quiet and comfortable and the breakfast buffet included eggs, ham, cubed potatoes, the best waffle I've had in years, yoghurt, cereals and fruit. The eating area was very comfortable and attractive.
The shuttle back to the airport was available every half hour.
I highly recommend this hotel for a convenient stop over.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Meggy H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Abercorn Inn, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear prideaux,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our services. Hope to see you soon at the Abercorn Inn!

Meggy Ho

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Calgary
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed here for one night.
We booked here because: we had a $100 BW travel card, making the stay $22 out of pocket, free breakfast, proximity to airport and access to a free shuttle.

Check in- quick and efficient. Checked in at 1 p.m. and our room was available right away.

Room - clean, smelled fine and mostly updated (only hints of the 1970s available in some of the woodwork near the ceiling). Bed, pillows and bedding were fine - no issues.

Staff - we got the same front desk clerk both days. She was friendly and helpful.

Free breakfast - average as far as free hotel breakfasts are concerned. Eggs not great, but the baked goods which LOOKED dried out were quite buttery and nice!

Restaurant - we ate lunch here after we checked in. In need of updating, especially the upholstery on chairs which was very shabby and old. Service a bit slow, issues with bill later, but the food was actually really good - try the quesadillas.... or the salad with the grilled chicken and avocado etc!

Shuttle - We were checked out by 9:15 and ready to take the free shuttle to the airport. Flight at 11 (normally we don't cut it close but we weren't travelling with children, we were staying so close by, it was a sunday morning... and we had only carry-on luggage. The shuttle is supposed to come every half hour (9:30, 10, etc). From 9:15 until after 10, the shuttle never came. Upon inquiring at the front desk, she radioed the shuttle driver several times to confirm he was coming. We got the sense that the shuttle, which appears to be a contracted service with the hotel, and the hotel are a bit at odds with each other. The driver claimed to have come at 9:30 (definitely did not) then changed his story to he was there, but couldn't park due to a tour bus (which was parked off to the side!) so he didn't stop, etc. Kept saying he was on his way but wouldn't give a straight answer. Finally at 10, the front desk clerk called a cab for us (and said the hotel would pay). Cab arrived, we got in... and then the shuttle driver came in, blocked the cab from leaving. Shuttle driver was rude to our cab driver who just wanted to help get us to the airport. He didn't want to move his shuttle which was parked at an angle in such a way that he blocked the front entrance for the cab, as well as access to the entrance at the other end of the lot. Anyway, after a couple of minutes, the shuttle driver moved and finally were on our way and managed to make our flight. (At this point, I guess we could have taken the shuttle, but after what we went through - no way!)

So...in the end, I would stay at the hotel again, but I am not sure I'd trust that shuttle again. I suggest the Abercorn Inn management sort out expectations with the shuttle drivers and/or shuttle company to ensure that the service they advertise and is a big draw for many customers, is provided when promised. (and thank you to the front desk clerk for making sure we got to the airport despite the shuttle).

1 Thank condawsmom
Meggy H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Abercorn Inn, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Dear condawsmom,

Thank you for your comments and your detailed review of our property. I am sorry to hear about your experience with our shuttle bus driver. We do share our shuttle bus with another property and it is managed by them as well. I will surely forward your comments to their GM so that we may improve on our service.

Thank you once again and hope to see you again at the Abercorn Inn very soon!

England
Reviewed 2 October 2012

What you see is what you get. Fairly standard no frills rooms, usual buffet breakfast, staff friendly and helpful. A good solid choice if you get a good price. Very convenient for subway into Vancouver and also the nearby casino.

Dear globe28,

Thank you for your comments and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again at the BW PLUS Abercorn Inn in the near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any concerns at 604-484-2565. Thank you!

meggy Ho
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 28 September 2012

In general there's not too much to discuss about this hotel. In terms of quality we got what we expected from a Best Western but avoid room 326. The room has a L shape and in the middle of the L is the elevator shaft. That wouldn't have been a problem as the room seem well isolated but the elevator was making a screeching sound every time it stop on the 3rd floor. Every time somebody used the elevator to get to the 3rd floor we were awaken by this noise.

Room Tip: Avoid room 326
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Meggy H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Abercorn Inn, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear bragos,

Thank you for your comments. First, I would like to sincerely apologize for your experience and did not fully enjoy your stay. Our front desk staff should have communicated to you the room type and location of your room prior to check in, so that we may change your room. It is our responsibilty to anticipate for guest needs.

We hope that you may consider us again in the future as we have many room types available. Please communicate to us your preference and we will find the best room available for you. Thank you once again for your review.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 September 2012

For 2 nights stay in this hotel, overall i will say this is a good hotel. Fair room size, room & bath are very clean, comfortable bed, free Wi-Fi, free breakfast, free shutter, front desk staff, housekeeping, and all other staffs always with smile. only the check-in process may screw up everything, it take 2 and half hours to get the room key. DO I GO BACK THIS HOTEL AGAIN? My answer will be YES if no need waiting two and half hours for checking in. Here after is my check-in story:
11:30 am, walk into hotel.
front desk staff : check-in?
me : yes.
front desk staff : sorry, yesterday hotel fully booked, your room not ready yet.
me : when is possible i can check-in?
front desk staff : check-in time is 3 o'clock.
me : any possibility check-in before 3 o'clock?
front desk staff : i am not sure. you see, these people in lobby, they all wait for check-in. we can store your luggage, you can go out walk around, back at 3 o'clock.
me : I do not know this area, i am little tire, not interesting to wandering on the street.
front desk staff : then, you have to wait.
me : if any chance other room ready earlier, can i switch to the room?
front desk staff : no, today still fully booked, i can not switch any room.
me : can you help to ask housekeeping to clean our room first for us to check-in earlier, i will really appreciate.
front desk staff : no, housekeeping can not do one room then jump to the other room too far.
me : ???
Lobby is full, no chair left for us to sit, we just stand in the lobby stand half hour,
12:10 pm, one couple left (do not know where they go? go to other hotel?) we get chair to sit.
13:00 pm,
front desk staff : we have few rooms ready, who's next? (she did not follow first come first serve)
14:00 pm, God bless, few more room ready, front desk staff let me check-in, thanks God.

Dear SamChuang,

Thank you for your comments. We strive to meet every guest's request and accommodate whenever possible. I do agree that we could have handled this situation better. We value your feedback and we take it to heart. I do hope that you will consider us again next time you are in town. Thank you again.

Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 22 September 2012

The front desk greating was warm, friendly and welcoming.
Complimentary use of the business centre and high speed WIFI in guest rooms were included in the price.
Complimentary breakfast weas excellent and included regular, full breakfast items.
This hotel is also located very close to Vancouver International Airport.
I would definitely stay here again if the opportunity arose.

Room Tip: Advise the staff of any special requests when you are booking.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Cherbal,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our stay. We strive to provide the best service and amenities to our guests. We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Lindsay, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel with friendly staff! Free parking, free breakfast,very comfortable bed and great price. We were able to print our boarding passes off in the lobby and free wi-fi. Close to the airport.

• Stayed September 2012
Meggy H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Abercorn Inn, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Dear ash_nick_2013 ,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our stay. Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future at the BW PLUS Abercorn Inn!