“repeaters”

Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Always have enjoyed this place for its location, friendless,and especially the ability to leave our car for a few weeks.on our last trip, our flight was delayed and we missed our connection to Vancouver. I was able to email that we would miss our reservation that day. When we finally arrived the next day they very kindly had cancelled our reservation with no charge. Good PR.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Meggy H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2012

Dear kermar284,

Thank you for your review of our property. We are glad that you enjoyed our services and your years of patronage. We always strive to provide the best service to our guests and go above and beyond whenver possible.

Thank you once again and looking forward to your next stay at the BW PLUS Abercorn Inn!

BEST WESTERN PLUS Abercorn Inn Team & Management

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn

Reviewed 7 November 2012

This is a good choice for an airport hotel. The rooms have been nicely updated, the bed was very comfortable and the staff was friendlly and helpful. The free continental breakfast had a good selection of tasty hot and cold items and the free shuttle to the airport was on time and much appreciated. We walked to the Aberdean Centre, a fantastic Asian mall and had a great meal at the Tropica restaurant there.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Meggy H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Dear footloose41,

Thank you for your comments and for leaving us such as positive review. I am glad that you enjoyed our rooms which was renovated last summer. We are continously upgrading our services and amenties to better accommodate our guests.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for future reservations. Thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We only stayed here one night. The hotel was very clean and the staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast that is included with the stay was good and had enough choices for everyone. Wifi wasn't too great and kept bumping me offline. They took $20 off our bill to make up for this which I though was fair. They made several attempts to fix the wifi issue with no luck. I left my coat at this hotel and they mailed it home to me.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Dear Missy454,

Thank you for your comments and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize the inconvenience you experienced with our internet. I will certainly look into this with our internet providers.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again for future reservations. Thank you once again for taking the time to leave us a review.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We would absolutely return! It is very close to the airport. People at the front desk were very efficient, we were in our room within 5 minutes! Breakfast was excellent! People were very pleasant and buffet was always replenished rapidly! Next to Costco.
All in all, it was a great stay!

Room Tip: They also have Airport shuttle.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Liette2012,

Thank you for your comments and for giving us a 5 star rating! We certainly love it when our guests enjoy their stay. I am also glad that you enjoyed our breakfast. We have recently bought a new coffee machine to accommodate our busy travellers. It will also give us more time to serve our guests and replenish the buffet. :)

Thank you once again and please do not hestiate to contact us when you need to make a reservation with us in the future.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

Won this hotel on pl for a low bid but this is definitely a disappointment. When we first went in there, the lobby smelled old and musty. There was only one elevator which took forever.

Most importantly, don't believe the website of the hotel. There is no way the hotel was remodeled in 2011. The room looked like it was a "blast from the past" and it reminds me of the old kissimmee, fl hotels near disneyworld. There was hair and lint (yuck) on the bed sheets! The decor outside and inside the room was dark brown and looked old and dirty.

The front desk guy working grave shift was not friendly and did not even greet me. I asked
for my fiancee's name to be added to the reservation when I called before, but somehow it never showed up in their system upon checkin.

I have read the reviews on here and mgmt responses thereto. There is no way that this hotel should be getting "consistently" good reviews that Meggy Ho the gm is referring to. Rather, I would not stay here again even if they paid me.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear mud_stuffin,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. To clarify, our hotel has 2 elevators in the lobby to convenient the guest. As for the decor, we have many guests that love the Tudor style of our building. I understand that this is subjective to the individual's preference. The cleanliness and service issue that you mention is certainly not the way we train our staff. I hope that I had a chance to dealt with this prior to your departure so we could have rectify the issue.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment. We take our guest's criticism to heart so we can strive to improve. Consistency in service and amenties is what we want to provide to our guest as indicated in the 3 positive reviews left by our guests after you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you want to speak about your complaint. You can reach me directly at 604-484-2565. Thank you!

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Everything that was promised was delivered, and then some. As promised, I was reimbursed for my taxi fare as the shuttle didn't run at 1:30 am when I arrived at Vancouver Airport. Just had to have my receipt.
The room was spacious, quiet and comfortable and the breakfast buffet included eggs, ham, cubed potatoes, the best waffle I've had in years, yoghurt, cereals and fruit. The eating area was very comfortable and attractive.
The shuttle back to the airport was available every half hour.
I highly recommend this hotel for a convenient stop over.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Meggy H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Dear prideaux,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our services. Hope to see you soon at the Abercorn Inn!

Meggy Ho

Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed here for one night.
We booked here because: we had a $100 BW travel card, making the stay $22 out of pocket, free breakfast, proximity to airport and access to a free shuttle.

Check in- quick and efficient. Checked in at 1 p.m. and our room was available right away.

Room - clean, smelled fine and mostly updated (only hints of the 1970s available in some of the woodwork near the ceiling). Bed, pillows and bedding were fine - no issues.

Staff - we got the same front desk clerk both days. She was friendly and helpful.

Free breakfast - average as far as free hotel breakfasts are concerned. Eggs not great, but the baked goods which LOOKED dried out were quite buttery and nice!

Restaurant - we ate lunch here after we checked in. In need of updating, especially the upholstery on chairs which was very shabby and old. Service a bit slow, issues with bill later, but the food was actually really good - try the quesadillas.... or the salad with the grilled chicken and avocado etc!

Shuttle - We were checked out by 9:15 and ready to take the free shuttle to the airport. Flight at 11 (normally we don't cut it close but we weren't travelling with children, we were staying so close by, it was a sunday morning... and we had only carry-on luggage. The shuttle is supposed to come every half hour (9:30, 10, etc). From 9:15 until after 10, the shuttle never came. Upon inquiring at the front desk, she radioed the shuttle driver several times to confirm he was coming. We got the sense that the shuttle, which appears to be a contracted service with the hotel, and the hotel are a bit at odds with each other. The driver claimed to have come at 9:30 (definitely did not) then changed his story to he was there, but couldn't park due to a tour bus (which was parked off to the side!) so he didn't stop, etc. Kept saying he was on his way but wouldn't give a straight answer. Finally at 10, the front desk clerk called a cab for us (and said the hotel would pay). Cab arrived, we got in... and then the shuttle driver came in, blocked the cab from leaving. Shuttle driver was rude to our cab driver who just wanted to help get us to the airport. He didn't want to move his shuttle which was parked at an angle in such a way that he blocked the front entrance for the cab, as well as access to the entrance at the other end of the lot. Anyway, after a couple of minutes, the shuttle driver moved and finally were on our way and managed to make our flight. (At this point, I guess we could have taken the shuttle, but after what we went through - no way!)

So...in the end, I would stay at the hotel again, but I am not sure I'd trust that shuttle again. I suggest the Abercorn Inn management sort out expectations with the shuttle drivers and/or shuttle company to ensure that the service they advertise and is a big draw for many customers, is provided when promised. (and thank you to the front desk clerk for making sure we got to the airport despite the shuttle).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank condawsmom
Meggy H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

Dear condawsmom,

Thank you for your comments and your detailed review of our property. I am sorry to hear about your experience with our shuttle bus driver. We do share our shuttle bus with another property and it is managed by them as well. I will surely forward your comments to their GM so that we may improve on our service.

Thank you once again and hope to see you again at the Abercorn Inn very soon!

Meggy Ho