“Comfortable stay...”

Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Vancouver
“Comfortable stay...”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in Feb this year on business in the area. Overall my stay here was good, no problems encountered, and staff were on the whole friendly and polite.

Check in - I initially booked online for one night ahead of my arrival at the hotel. Check in was efficiently carried out, and I was able to request an extension of my stay to a second night the next morning with no problem. Hotel is easy to get to from the highway (I arrived by car from the ferry at Tsawassen).

Hotel corridors / decor - tidy enough, if a little dated in style. The hotel is going for that Scottish highlands look, so the thistle features frequently in the decor.

Room - Clean, tidy and smelled fresh. TV with plenty of channels to choose from (cable), coffee / tea making facilities, bed very comfy, in room safe for valuables, etc. Bathroom also clean, tidy and fresh smelling, with a small collection of toiletries available next to the sink. Plenty of towels available for me to use. Complimentary wifi access was good throughout the hotel.

Hotel bar / food - the night I arrived happened to be karaoke night, so the bar was busy and the atmosphere was friendly / enjoyable. I didn't eat any dinner there so cannot speak to the quality of that, but breakfast is a buffet / continental style, with eggs provided in a different form each morning, and toast, bagels, fruit, cereal etc. Perfectly adequate unless you're determined to have a proper cooked breakfast.

Close enough to the airport to be useful to travelers needing accommodation, although price wise it's not really that competitive in my opinion (I could have stayed at the Radisson which has a pool, weight room, lobby shop, and sits directly adjacent to the Aberdeen mall with all it's facilities for more or less the same price).

Overall then - as I said, a good stay. Comfortable, adequate accommodation for a night or 2. Personally I would look elsewhere for a longer stay, but YMMV.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Best Western P, Manager at Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear CanTaff970,

Thank you for the review and we hope to see you again in near future!

Best Western PLUS Abercorn Inn Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here recently for 3 nights on our honeymoon, and in hindsight, we should have stayed at the Hilton again. They were the only hotel we stayed at during our honeymoon that did not upgrade us or at least make us feel special. They simply gave us a half-hearted congratulations upon check-in, and I will go on to address my bigger complaints with the hotel.

First, the bed and the pillows were extremely uncomfortable. My wife and I both struggled to sleep each night we stayed here. If we could have managed to sleep despite the terrible bedding, we still would have to deal with the knocking of the A/C. The A/C knocking made the time in the room annoying.

On top of all that, the room was tiny. My wife is fairly small, and she was banging into the furniture in the room. You literally had to navigate the room with pinpoint accuracy to not bang into the furniture. The bathroom was no different. To get to the shower, you had to slide in between the toilet and the sink, close the door, slide out from in between the sink and toilet, and then, navigate your way to the shower.

The wifi worked poorly. My wife and I both had issues with the signal on the wifi. It would kick me out and then force me to agree to the terms again. The room also lacked a pen despite having two note pads.

Next, the breakfast was one of the worst hotel breakfasts that I've ever seen or tasted. Usually, if the hot food is not very good, you can at least fall back on the pastries, a bagel, or something, but that is not the case here. They had one pastry option, and it was terrible. They did not have bagels or English muffins. The cereal options were limited and not appetizing.

Finally, onto the staff, housekeeping came to our room at 8:15 while we were at the terrible breakfast. We had not showered or prepared for the day at that point, so we used the towels in the morning. When we returned to the hotel at the end of the day, I asked the front desk for more towels. The desk attendant began to question me as to why I needed more towels in a rude voice. She finally relented after I told her that housekeeping came to our room at 8:15 while we were at breakfast.

This was not half as bad as what I witnessed one day as we left for our day. A customer was making a complaint and one of the desk attendants was yelling at the customer! My wife and I were both shocked at how this desk attendant treated a customer.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
1 Thank Jacob T
HI Jacob,

Thank you for your recent review.

Our room size and furniture meet the Best Western PLUS standard and for the breakfast buffet, we in fact have more items than the brand standard required. We are sorry to hear about your internet connection issue. We are currently looking to upgrade our internet speed and change our provider so that we can better serve our guests.

Please consider staying with us again so that you may experience the upgrade.

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2013

It’s not because I don’t like the other airport hotels I stayed at in Vancouver, it’s that Priceline.com dictates which hotel you get when you use the bargaining tool. This time it was Best Western Abercorn. We enjoyed our stay here. At first I thought the hotel looked like a German Gausthaus but turned out to be Scottish. The staff were knowledgeable and friendly. The room was very clean and comfortable. The free breakfast was a good start to our day. Had a good sleep before our flight over seas. I would stay here again. Try the restaurant. It was excellent (see my review).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Best Western P, Manager at Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear Raroboy,

Thank you for the positive review and we all hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We stayed at the Abercorn inn YVR for our trip as usual. Noticed they expanded their patio at the restaurant,we sat there for our supper and enjoyef the sunshine. Staff were very friendly and rooms were clean. We definately enjoyed our stay

• Stayed June 2013
Hi Fenfenho,

Thank you for your respond and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again soon in near future!
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 11 June 2013

After visiting this hotel I think that BW chain is being too generous in awarding the "plus" to it. It is your typical regular Best Western nothing really special about it to be named plus. However, there was something else that made me give it a poor rating: the cleanliness of the bathroom. When one thinks of comfy beds and other more intangible things it is a matter of opinion but cleanliness cannot be disputed once you see the dirty spots. The bathroom so dated that you can see from the pictures I took. The towel, very thin and worn out, had yellow marks on it, the shower tiles had hair stuck on them so that made me wonder how the place had been cleaned. Mind you this hotel claims it has gotten an award for cleanliness. Well, not at the room we stayed. The sink is so low that is better fit for a child than for an adult. Also, we asked for a quiet room since we came from a long trip and we wanted a night to rest before hitting the road. Our room was on the ground floor right in front of the parking lot so we heard every other guest arriving and rolling their luggages. The room itself is spacious but despite for the flat screen tv everything else is dated, including the bathroom. The good thing about the hotel is that it is really close to the airport and the airport shuttle driver was very kind and helpful and a careful driver. Breakfast in the morning was crowded with a lot of tourists trying to get their food from a very small area. Standard BW breakfast but I didnt like that the yogurt was in a huge bowl where everyone just scooped their portions out of it into their bowls. I dont consider that to be a very smart decision because of contamination issues considering that yogurt is very easy to spoil. It would be much better to have small one person packaged portions that all other BW offer as standard. If the reason for offering it from a big bowl was to save money I would rather they do not offer it at all. Someone may one day get ill by eating that yogurt. To summarize, thinking it was a BW plus I had higher expectations. Given it was just your standard BW I at least expected it to be clean. I will not recommend it neither we will be staying there again when coming to Vancouver. I usually dont take pictures of my stay but since my complaint was related to the cleaning of the place I thought it to be appropriate.

Room Tip: I you want a quiet room do not stay on the ground floor in front of the parking lot.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Best Western P, Manager at Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear Milepost2012,

Thank you for your review. We would like to apologize on behalf of our team. This is certainly not the standard that we meet for the cleanliness in our guestrooms. Providing clean and comfortable accommodation is our number one priority and it is evident that we failed to meet your expectations at this time.

We deeply apologize for the dissatisfaction and hope that you can consider staying with us again.
San Diego, California, Usa
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Hotel is located very close to airport. In fact it would be a perfect viewing spot to see planes descend to land right in front of hotel. Noises from planes are there but not unbearable. Book rooms on the back of hotel would be a good idea which was where we stayed and we had good sleep. Room and furniture are maintained satisfactory and not aged with nice flat screen TV. However, water temperature is a big issue since it's switching hot and cold affected by the usage by other staying guests. We were constantly turning handle knob constantly. Complimentary breakfast was very nice but watch out for big group tourists pack the room. They also could make noises at corridor in early morning. Overall, it's a decent and above average Best Western for us.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Best Western P, Manager at Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear Yuehfeng,

Thank you for your review. We will certainly check the hot water issue in our guestrooms. Glad that you enjoyed your stay at our property and hope to see you again soon!

Oak Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We had a great stay at the BW in Richmond. The check-in was fast and the staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms are specious and have everything one needs. The breakfast is amazing with hot and cold items. Internet and parking are free, a big plus in comparison to staying in Vancouver. The Hotel is very convenient, close to the Interstate, Airport and Skytrain. For shopping there is a Costco right across the street.
On the negative side, the shower was hard to use because the faucets are on the older side. It has 2 separate knobs and the water was either too cold or too hot. We also had a ceiling light in our room hallway that was constantly blinking despite the fact it was off. And since we came "home" after midnight it was too late to have it replaced.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Moinhilde,

Thank you for your review and we are glad that you enjoyed your overall stay. The hallway light has been replaced and we will be looking into improving our shower faucet. We appreciate your comment and hope to welcome you again in near future!