“Great food, comfy bed, free shuttle!”

Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Simcoe, Canada
“Great food, comfy bed, free shuttle!”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This was the perfect place to stay close to the airport after our cruise. Love the Scottish theme! The food was excellent at dinner and breakfast. Our beds were very comfortable. The shuttle service was free and convenient to the airport. To t it all off there is a great Costco right across the street!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Best Western P, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Susan C,

Thank you for your positive review, we are glad that you enjoyed the stay with us. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Best Western PLUS Abercorn Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Aurora, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Excellent hotel for business travellers; Very easy to get to Vancouver International Airport with great shuttle service running twice an hour. Hotel restaurant had varied menu and terrific desserts & coffee!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Janice W,

Thank you for your positive review, your business is very important to us. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Coarsegold, California
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We have stayed here twice now, in 2 different years, because they have an excellent package for a room, breakfast, parking, and shuttle to the cruise ship. We left our car there for 2 weeks each time and all was perfect. The rooms we have had were both spacious, immaculate, and comfortable, with very nice bedding and every amenity we could want. The breakfast is very good with many choices. The staff hasn't been overly friendly but they certainly weren't rude. The room cleaner was in the hall when we arrived and she was friendly and nice and happily gave us extra coffee packets for our room. Overall, a great place to stay for what we needed.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back might be quieter. Ours was in the front where there was lots of traffic, but we c...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Best Western P, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear GypsMaryRVTraveler,

Thank you for your valuable review, your business is very important to us. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

WEST KELOWNA
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This hotel was certainly adequate for our needs. The room was comfortable. They do not have a restaurant on site ( not that we saw). One of the rooms we rented had a sofa bed, and when we pulled it out it was apparent that the sheets had not been changed from the previous sleeper. We called front desk and they were very concerned about that and replaced the sheets immediately. Other then that, all pretty good.I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Best Western P, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear CATHERINE D

Thank you for the positive review and we all hope to welcome you back soon!

Best Western PLUS Abercorn Inn Team
Sawtry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This hotel was picked 6 months before our trip mainly to the reviews on Tripadvisor, so was looking forward to our two nights stay.

It was relatively easy to find but is on a main street junction which nobody had mentioned, and behind a large motorway, had asked for a very quiet room as very light sleeper. First impressions outside it was very pretty with hanging baskets and the Tudor looking design.

After unloading all our luggage went inside, no recognition from reception staff, in fact stood there like a stuffed lemon waiting for some sort of acknowledgement, they actually looked past us to a man behind and asked him if he was checking in, we must be invisible I thought.The two staff members stood there like a motionless stick insects, gave us our room key and low and behold we were right in the front overlooking the junction,I was too tired to complain and hoped I would sleep through the traffic noise.

This was to be a false thought as I didn't, the room itself was more than adequate very comfortable beds and amenities, we had more interaction from the breakfast staff than the reception.The breakfast was quite good, in fact it was one of the best of our 14 night holiday, scrambled eggs were delicious.

We had decided to eat in the restaurant and asked the receptionist what time it opened, 5 was the reply and no more conversation or chit chat, every other hotel we have stayed in, in Canada all the reception staff were polite and interacted with us, what we were doing/going to etc Nothing from this lot.

On check out we were not even asked had we enjoyed our stay, just grabbed the key and that was it nothing. Maybe a lesson in manners would not go amiss, on the Canadian TV network there were continual adverts for the Best Western Group, with all the managers/owners saying how their establishments were an offshoot of how they lived and how proud they were of repeated business.

Could not fault the room or breakfast so gave this rating a 4, otherwise it would have got a 5 if not for the ruddest staff ever.

Room Tip: At the end or not on the junction side at the front
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Best Western P, Manager at Best Western Plus Abercorn Inn, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Hi Mallin,

Thank you for your review. We would like to apologize on behalf of our team. This is certainly not the standard that we meet for the service level of our staff. Providing superior guest service is our number one priority and it is evident that we failed to meet your expectations at this time.

We deeply apologize for the dissatisfaction and hope that you can consider staying with us again.

Vancouver
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in Feb this year on business in the area. Overall my stay here was good, no problems encountered, and staff were on the whole friendly and polite.

Check in - I initially booked online for one night ahead of my arrival at the hotel. Check in was efficiently carried out, and I was able to request an extension of my stay to a second night the next morning with no problem. Hotel is easy to get to from the highway (I arrived by car from the ferry at Tsawassen).

Hotel corridors / decor - tidy enough, if a little dated in style. The hotel is going for that Scottish highlands look, so the thistle features frequently in the decor.

Room - Clean, tidy and smelled fresh. TV with plenty of channels to choose from (cable), coffee / tea making facilities, bed very comfy, in room safe for valuables, etc. Bathroom also clean, tidy and fresh smelling, with a small collection of toiletries available next to the sink. Plenty of towels available for me to use. Complimentary wifi access was good throughout the hotel.

Hotel bar / food - the night I arrived happened to be karaoke night, so the bar was busy and the atmosphere was friendly / enjoyable. I didn't eat any dinner there so cannot speak to the quality of that, but breakfast is a buffet / continental style, with eggs provided in a different form each morning, and toast, bagels, fruit, cereal etc. Perfectly adequate unless you're determined to have a proper cooked breakfast.

Close enough to the airport to be useful to travelers needing accommodation, although price wise it's not really that competitive in my opinion (I could have stayed at the Radisson which has a pool, weight room, lobby shop, and sits directly adjacent to the Aberdeen mall with all it's facilities for more or less the same price).

Overall then - as I said, a good stay. Comfortable, adequate accommodation for a night or 2. Personally I would look elsewhere for a longer stay, but YMMV.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear CanTaff970,

Thank you for the review and we hope to see you again in near future!

Best Western PLUS Abercorn Inn Team
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here recently for 3 nights on our honeymoon, and in hindsight, we should have stayed at the Hilton again. They were the only hotel we stayed at during our honeymoon that did not upgrade us or at least make us feel special. They simply gave us a half-hearted congratulations upon check-in, and I will go on to address my bigger complaints with the hotel.

First, the bed and the pillows were extremely uncomfortable. My wife and I both struggled to sleep each night we stayed here. If we could have managed to sleep despite the terrible bedding, we still would have to deal with the knocking of the A/C. The A/C knocking made the time in the room annoying.

On top of all that, the room was tiny. My wife is fairly small, and she was banging into the furniture in the room. You literally had to navigate the room with pinpoint accuracy to not bang into the furniture. The bathroom was no different. To get to the shower, you had to slide in between the toilet and the sink, close the door, slide out from in between the sink and toilet, and then, navigate your way to the shower.

The wifi worked poorly. My wife and I both had issues with the signal on the wifi. It would kick me out and then force me to agree to the terms again. The room also lacked a pen despite having two note pads.

Next, the breakfast was one of the worst hotel breakfasts that I've ever seen or tasted. Usually, if the hot food is not very good, you can at least fall back on the pastries, a bagel, or something, but that is not the case here. They had one pastry option, and it was terrible. They did not have bagels or English muffins. The cereal options were limited and not appetizing.

Finally, onto the staff, housekeeping came to our room at 8:15 while we were at the terrible breakfast. We had not showered or prepared for the day at that point, so we used the towels in the morning. When we returned to the hotel at the end of the day, I asked the front desk for more towels. The desk attendant began to question me as to why I needed more towels in a rude voice. She finally relented after I told her that housekeeping came to our room at 8:15 while we were at breakfast.

This was not half as bad as what I witnessed one day as we left for our day. A customer was making a complaint and one of the desk attendants was yelling at the customer! My wife and I were both shocked at how this desk attendant treated a customer.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
1 Thank Jacob T
HI Jacob,

Thank you for your recent review.

Our room size and furniture meet the Best Western PLUS standard and for the breakfast buffet, we in fact have more items than the brand standard required. We are sorry to hear about your internet connection issue. We are currently looking to upgrade our internet speed and change our provider so that we can better serve our guests.

Please consider staying with us again so that you may experience the upgrade.

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels